Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What are the locals' opinions of the wolves?

My family in Canada loves 'em. But then none of my Canadian relatives are farmers or ranchers. All fisherman, and the wolves don't exactly cause problems with fish.

Still, northern Maine is mostly potato farms, right? I don't recall many National Geographic specials of packs of wolves hunting down packs of wild potatoes. Or is there quite a bit of herding and ranching up north?
Officially there are no wolves in Maine, although there's an unofficial recognition that the occasional gray wolf wanders down from Canada into the North Woods. Maine's coyotes actually have varying percentages of wolf genes from interbreeding with Canadian wolves during their migration into Maine in the 1950s and 1960s. There was a DNA study done last year that showed some coyotes have significant wolf in them. Maine's coyotes tend to be larger than the western coyote for that reason.

Actually, most of northern Maine -- and that generally includes everything north of Bangor -- is forest. The potato country in Aroostook County is concentrated on the eastern side along the Route 1/Route 11 corridors. West of Route 11, it's all woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 AM

19 posts, read 65,797 times
Hi there,
Officially there are no wolves here, but most people have seen at least one. Coyotes are plentiful however and you do need to watch your small animals. One of our cats was killed last year and my friend had 10 ducks killed last month. Our neighbor went out with his coyote hunting friend to look to see how many where out, and in the field next to my horse pasture they counted 43! So there are plenty of coyotes!
Commuting from Ellsworth to Bangor would be crazy for you in the winter. You are talking a good hour and a half in the winter. I would suggest my area, Frankfort/Winterport. We are 25 minutes to Bangor, an hour and a half to Bar Harbor, just over an hour from Acadia, and hour from Augusta. It's really a good location. We will be moving within the next year - you could buy our place! =)
As far as apartments, I would just keep checking the papers. We are a low key state - most companies don't have websites! Bangor Daily News, the Ellsworth American, Village Soup, The Republican Journal, just to name a few. There are tons of apartments in Brewer relatively cheap that include everything (about $500 a month for electric, heat, water, and the apartment).
Good luck!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzer21 View Post
Thanks everyone for the help It should make things easier for me. And I'd probably like Ellsworth more than Bangor when it came to living. I wouldn't really mind the commute since it's not that far. Not sure about apartments or living conditions in Ellsworth though. I'll have to look into that further And good idea on getting a subscription for the local newspapers sent to me. That would probably help a lot Thanks again!
so what happened?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
forest, did you know that if you pull up a user profile you can see when their last login was? unless it's set to private? I just wondered if you knew this because you seem to be replying to these old threads where the op is long gone.....

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

It is my understanding that when I post in a thread, I later get an email notification whenever someone else posts in that thread.

*IMU: There is some possibility that 'Tanzer21' has now received an email notifying him that I asked for an update.

*IMU which is to say: "In My Universe"

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM

45 posts, read 77,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
so what happened?
He lived happily ever after - in Denver..................................

Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is my understanding that when I post in a thread, I later get an email notification whenever someone else posts in that thread.

*IMU: There is some possibility that 'Tanzer21' has now received an email notifying him that I asked for an update.

*IMU which is to say: "In My Universe"
Only if you have your preference set that way... IMU I have enough random emails popping up that I am NOT notified, but I check the board pretty often. in Tanzer21's universe, he either is notified or not.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 PM

either way, I can't imagine he really cares after ALL this time.... IMU

Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 PM

I am glad to see that everyone is doing fine in their individual universes.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM

lol... it's great isn't it! and IMU is definitely a keeper forest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
View detailed profiles of: