U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,839 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am interviewing for a job in the Bangor, ME area. I have already had a phone interview and the interviewers have kind of made Bangor sound...well... so-so. Saying things like, "Bangor is nothing to write home about." And when I compared Bangor to where I live now, Charlottesville, VA, they said, "Oh, but Charlottesville is beautiful." I guess I'll see for myself when I go up there, but I'm wondering what they are getting at. Any insight? (I lived in Chicago before, so I get the winter thing.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,331,157 times
The best thing to do is click on "search this forum" and type in Bangor. We've discussed the area A LOT, and the search should return a lot of information that will be helpful. Personally I love Bangor. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,532,309 times
A lot of people think that other places are better than where they are. I know that my whole life in Maine, I thought anywhere else would be better. Then I experienced somewhere else and yikes! Definitely not better.

Anyway, Bangor is a nice small city. It offers just about anything you could need or want for shopping, continuing education, etc. It is our target city for when we return to Maine.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,578,422 times
Bangor and Chicago actually have similar winters overall, but Bangor has less wind and a slight touch colder. Bangor really is nothing too spectacular when it comes to architecture or even scenery, BUT, the overall location is great if you like the outdoors and a short drive to the coast. Traffic is almost non existent compared to most other places. Bangor is under 40,000 in population but that is a bit of a deceiving number because Brewer borders Bangor, and while different, they seem to flow together well and gives both places a larger feel. If you have Children, Bangor has one of the better Childrens museums I have taken my kids to. Better than most places with a population 10 times larger in fact. Not up the the Childrens Museum in Chicago, but that is the only one I can think of that is better than the Maine Discovery Museum in Bangor.

Overall I liked Bangor when I lived in Maine and went down there very often because that was the closest "big" city and it just felt like a nice place. There isn't the "Southern Charm" like some other places, and not the "Hustle and bustle" of others; but it is a nice little city. Sure it has some crappy neighborhoods, they are crappy in upkeep and appearance with a much higher crime rate than the majority of the State, but still WAY lower than it LOOKS like they would have. I wouldn't be fearful of walking any neighborhood in Bangor, at any time, day or night personally.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,331,157 times
agreed! I lived there (directly in or in Orono during college) for 15 years. If I were looking for a town that size again I'd move back in a heartbeat. I'm glad that interviewer isn't working for me! The least she could do is sound excited about Bangor! Also, keep in mind that while the city population is around 40, it does swell with commuters from the outlying towns during the day.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM

139 posts, read 335,439 times
It's all your perception, because your perception "IS" your reality. I've been to Chicago and personally feel that it is nothing to write home about. These people you have an interview with are essentially hanging themselves. I would not even consider a job if my interviewers told me stuff like that! People of Maine should celebrate what we have and advertise it in ways that would attracted excellent working people such as yourself. We have lots to offer, just not tall buildings and fancy Hilton Hotels. Bangor is a pleasant little city with lots of space and everytime I make a trip with the family I have an excellent time.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,578,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
It's all your perception, because your perception "IS" your reality. I've been to Chicago and personally feel that it is nothing to write home about. These people you have an interview with are essentially hanging themselves. I would not even consider a job if my interviewers told me stuff like that! People of Maine should celebrate what we have and advertise it in ways that would attracted excellent working people such as yourself. We have lots to offer, just not tall buildings and fancy Hilton Hotels. Bangor is a pleasant little city with lots of space and everytime I make a trip with the family I have an excellent time.
I like this post a lot. I have been to Chicago lots of times and would rather have something stuck in a zipper than live there. Too busy, too much traffic, and just go-go-go all the frigging time. Some people really thrive and enjoy that, and would pick a lot of places before Bangor then. But, for those who like a bit slower and laid-back while offering everything you REALLY need, and not everything you may want on a whim, Bangor is hard to beat.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 AM

740 posts, read 1,755,555 times
It depends on what you like. I grew up in Bangor and lived there for 20 years and my parents are still there. I would move back in a heart beat, but there are virtually no jobs there in my line of work and my wife would not agree. It is a nice small city but go 20 minutes outside of town and you are in the country. If you like the outdoors it is a great place. If you like the city, like my DW than you may get kind of bored.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 AM

33,362 posts, read 54,787,233 times
Comparing Bangor to Chicago, is very hard to do.

I do not know the population size of Chicago, but it must be huge.

As being 'cities' Bangor is tiny.

Bangor is however the commercial -economic - cultural center for a large part of Maine. Most of Maine is rural. So going into the 'big' city for shopping, plays, night clubs, etc; folks in Northern Maine go to Bangor.

It is big enough that there are daily tour buses in Bangor from Canada, but it is tiny as compared to Chicago.

If you have never been here; then you should give it a try. Depending on your career field, many fields will require multiple 'jumps' from one corporation to another, as you fill-out your resume. To finally get you up into the upper tier of corporate positions. It is like doing a tour in Adak Alaska, so you get your ticket punched, to allow further ladder climbing. If you were never open to the position in Adak in the first place then you get stuck on one rung of the ladder until you turn 65.

I have seen many folks in Maine who look down upon Maine. I post on other forums, just yesterday a group of Mainers were 'dissing' the idea of moving to Maine to a couple who was thinking of moving here. Folks who have lived here long periods of time commonly fall into the mindset that Maine is somehow 'bad'. Either they convince themselves that Maine taxes are high, or that winters are too long, or whatever. They lose the perspective of what life is like elsewhere.

In the last Matrix movie the Architect was explaining that even when given the best of designed worlds, the most plush circumstances, and most abundant beauties; mankind will still find a way to convince themselves that their plight is miserable.

So you have these future employers. this is exactly what they have fallen into. They could be living in paradise, but they can't see it.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,126,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aet2n View Post
Hi. I am interviewing for a job in the Bangor, ME area. I have already had a phone interview and the interviewers have kind of made Bangor sound...well... so-so. Saying things like, "Bangor is nothing to write home about." And when I compared Bangor to where I live now, Charlottesville, VA, they said, "Oh, but Charlottesville is beautiful." I guess I'll see for myself when I go up there, but I'm wondering what they are getting at. Any insight? (I lived in Chicago before, so I get the winter thing.)
As an employer who has interviewed many people from away I smiled when I read your post. While I've never denigrated the area (which is close to Bangor) because I was born here and I love it, I have tried to be very frank with potential employees. Maine has a mystique about it and in my experience many folks come here with perceptions that are impossible to live up to. I have found myself pointing out possible negatives to Maine life - i.e. long winters, isolation - so that folks moving here from a warm, urban environment know just how different life here can be.

Also some of your interviewers might never have been outside the state of Maine. Again, in my experience, some Mainers feel stuck here and yearn for experiences and climates that they'll never know. When asked about their home they will humph and grumph about how backward it is here or cold or whatever. It's kind of like sour grapes. Take it with a grain of salt and as others here have said come taste it for yourself before you make such a big decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area