Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM

160 posts, read 370,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My spell checker found nothing wrong so I posted.

Either way, I sold a lot of eggs today.
Hey, that is the most important thing. You gotta do what you gotta do. lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
My spell checker found nothing wrong so I posted.

Either way, I sold a lot of eggs today.
So just wondering do "busty" women buy more eggs?...LOL

Old 05-06-2007, 07:07 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
So just wondering do "busty" women buy more eggs?...LOL
LOL

Not that I could tell.

I was surprised though at how many folks do not hesitate to purchase eggs when they are high-priced.

I was not entirely comfortable setting my prices so high. However my DW has done some math on how much feed we went through all winter keeping these chickens healthy when so much of our place was deep snow. No matter how high we set our prices, we do not know if we will break even, or recover the price of the feed.

So I matched the going price used by the other vendors at the market. [three times the price of eggs at the stores] and I sold out.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
When we lived in the Bangor area friends of ours in Hampden had chickens. I couldn't believe the difference in the flavor of the eggs! The price difference is well worth it!

Also, we'd visit a pub in Orono! We love checking out non-chain restaurants when we're out and about!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Yes very strong shells, hard and more difficult to crack open. Dark orange yolks that stand up and really fight your efforts to scramble them.

I have Calcium in a bag, for supplemental feed, because that is what your supposed to stock, should the shells begin getting thin. But we have not used any. These hens seem to get plenty of Calcium in their diet without any added efforts. Maybe it is the hard Calcium loaded water we get from our well.

I have been told that the orange yolks and the strength of the yolk is from the amount of proteins the hen eats.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,222 times
Quote:
LOL

Not that I could tell.

I was surprised though at how many folks do not hesitate to purchase eggs when they are high-priced.

I was not entirely comfortable setting my prices so high. However my DW has done some math on how much feed we went through all winter keeping these chickens healthy when so much of our place was deep snow. No matter how high we set our prices, we do not know if we will break even, or recover the price of the feed.

So I matched the going price used by the other vendors at the market. [three times the price of eggs at the stores] and I sold out.

Smart people pay for quality, that is why you sold out. Never be afraid to set your prices high, if your product is good people will buy it.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Smart people pay for quality, that is why you sold out. Never be afraid to set your prices high, if your product is good people will buy it.
I know, but after so many years of frugal living, often buying the cheapest items available it has gotten into our habits in many ways.

Now when I see a dozen eggs in the grocery store selling for 98 cents, and I see other vendors selling their eggs for $3, it is interesting the differences.

A new cardboard carton costs me 43 cents. To keep our chickens in their coops and feed them grain all winter cost us, well, it cost us a lot. All last summer they were chicks, needing some feed but not laying, and before that when we first bought them, they spent six weeks in a brooder with heat lamps and lots of expensive medicated feeds. Each hen is now finally in egg-production mode [five or six eggs a week]. Each hen has easily cost us $50 a piece just to get to this stage.

I have no idea of how many eggs each hen will honestly produce in it's lifetime, and how long it will take to recoup those initial expenses.

I know that our hens are active and healthy, and they consume a lot of insects. So their eggs are ideally much better.

If nothing else at least we are having fun in the process.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:18 PM

165 posts, read 414,992 times
Oh, great. Now I'm hungry again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
When we lived in the Bangor area friends of ours in Hampden had chickens. I couldn't believe the difference in the flavor of the eggs! The price difference is well worth it!

Also, we'd visit a pub in Orono! We love checking out non-chain restaurants when we're out and about!
Know what I think this place needs? A pub that people kind of consider "home", you know? I'm thinking that's what Lynn and Russ have in mind. I believe it would go over huge here.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:34 PM

Come on down to the VFW in Old Town, I am the bar chairman there.

We had a big Chinco-De-Mayo party last night.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM

165 posts, read 414,992 times
Hey, I was there several months ago for a couple of the NWH wrestling events. Are those guys still holding shows there? I wouldn't mind seeing them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area