Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 31,019 times

Advertisements

I would like to know the pros & cons of moving to both or either place in Maine. I am a mother of 4 ages 13 to 2 and would like to know which city would be best to raise my family. What are school districts like, job opportunities, and family activities. Any info or additional info would be greatly appreciated. We are planning on moving summer of 2008. I would like to have a head start on what to prepare for. I have been working as a director of a day care and I have experience in massage therapy. My husband is a satellite technician our combined income is around 65k a year. Thank for the info and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM

177 posts, read 108,056 times
Hi upstate sc - I can't speak for Bangor, but I did teach in Gorham for nine years and loved it. Gorham is a small college town (USM is there) that still has a town center and village feel yet is close to Portland and the Maine Mall (15 minutes). It is a family friendly community with involved parents and excellent schools. Housing is a mix of old (charming, historical homes) and new homes and a few un-attached condos. Gorham is a suburb of Portland yet has easy access to the NH White Mountains and skiing.
Bangor is a city...I would compare Bangor with Portland and compare Gorham to a smaller Bangor suburb like Orono. Many people on this forum love living in the Bangor area and maybe they will respond to this post with ideas for you. I can only speak to the Portland area and I love it...lots to do, close to both Boston and the coast and mountains, lots of nice suburbs with good schools.
Hope this is helpful!

Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Upstate, if you take a peak at the "moving to Maine" thread by Rich, there is some Bangor info there

Old 04-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Thank you so much for responding to my question. There was a small part of me worried that the people reading .... must not like large families moving to ME. I apoligize to all of you who have read my question for thinking this, about you all. Although I have never visited ME. I've looked @ pictures of ME & I get a feeling of homesickness. It is truly a beautiful state. We are planning on visiting in November to see if I can stand the cold. I worry about if its as safe as people say, will there be jobs for us, and will we love it once there.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 PM

Upstate, I have 4 too---ages 8-17....and you will find a number of large families here when you visit! I have to tell you though, I love the fall in Maine but November is my least favorite month. Everything looks pretty brown then, and usually there is no snow on the ground-yet. Keep that in mind when you visit!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM

mollysmiles, thanks for letting me know that we won't be the only large family in ME. I want to visit ME when the weather is cold to see if I can survive it for (hopeful) the rest of my life. Down here in the south if we get 3 inches of snow, its a lot. Most of the time our winter storms are ice storms. Any info on Bangor and the surrounding area will be welcomed. My boss told me that the sunsets @ about 5:00.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM

In the winter the days are shorter. In late December and early January it's the shortest, with the sunset around 3:30 in the afternoon and dark by 4. It is short lived though, as the days start getting longer after that. Actually, it's more accurate to say the "daylight hours" I guess because the day is only 24 hours long, LOL, but that's how we say it! The nice thing though, is as beautiful as our sunsets are in the summer, in the late fall and early winter they are spectacular. One of my friends posts pics on Picassa (?spelling), and get comments like "is that real??". Another great part....sunset in July is around 9:30! And it's warmer so we can enjoy the whole day!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:15 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
If you want to know if you can handle the cold, you should try to visit in January or February. Those were the months that I found to be the coldest.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
There is no comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_Maine

Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 PM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
Here's info on Penobscot County, which contains Bangor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_County%2C_Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area