Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know that?
Yes 0 0%
No 1 33.33%
Yes, but it should be something else. 1 33.33%
No, but it should be something else. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:00 AM

581 posts, read 708,736 times

Advertisements

The 3 largest employers in the greater Bangor area are:

Eastern Maine Medical Center
Bangor Mall
University of Maine (Orono & Bangor campuses)

Number of Gov't workers in Bangor region (MSA): 11,900 in 2003

source: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:wf3uCd674CEJ:www.bangormaine.gov/documents/LABORMK.pdf+Bangor+metropolitan+area+labor+force&h l=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us (broken link)

Next we need a medical school. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM

37,301 posts, read 61,087,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
The 3 largest employers in the greater Bangor area are:

Eastern Maine Medical Center
Bangor Mall
University of Maine (Orono & Bangor campuses)

Number of Gov't workers in Bangor region (MSA): 11,900 in 2003

source: http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:wf3uCd674CEJ:www.bangormaine.gov/documents/LABORMK.pdf+Bangor+metropolitan+area+labor+force&h l=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us (broken link)

Next we need a medical school. What do you all think?
I beleive that EMMC is a teaching hospital.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I beleive that EMMC is a teaching hospital.
No, EMMC is not a teaching hospital.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,922,517 times
I doubt that the Bangor Mall is much of an employer by itself. The individual stores in the Mall employ quite a large number of people, but those are separate employers.

How many people actually receive paychecks from the Mall ownership itself?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Ooops, sorry about that, I had only thought that it was because the first time I went there I pulled into the student parking lot by mistake.

Also I just found this AP article:

Quote:
May 12, 10:53 AM EDT

EMMC unveils plan to overhaul Bangor campus

BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- A development project that could cost more than $200 million is under consideration by Eastern Maine Medical Center as it explores options for overhauling its crowded State Street campus.

Also a link to the teaching hospital website:

http://www.emmcfprp.org/

Oh, and Google found this article in a Boston newspaper:

Quote:
EMMC unveils plan to overhaul Bangor campus May 12, 2007

BANGOR, Maine --A development project that could cost more than $200 million is under consideration by Eastern Maine Medical Center as it explores options for overhauling its crowded State Street campus.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,798,372 times
Quote:
I think you are misinformed here. They are indeed a teaching hospital. They are affiliated with several Universities and have residency and fellowship programs in all areas of care. As a part of the Maine Medical Center they are affiliated with University of Maine and have students from all medical fields there.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I doubt that the Bangor Mall is much of an employer by itself. The individual stores in the Mall employ quite a large number of people, but those are separate employers.

How many people actually receive paychecks from the Mall ownership itself?
I think you are right, Acadianlion. It is misleading the way Bangor Mall is presented - the employees are not employees of "Bangor Mall, Inc.", but of the individual stores.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I think you are misinformed here. They are indeed a teaching hospital. They are affiliated with several Universities and have residency and fellowship programs in all areas of care. As a part of the Maine Medical Center they are affiliated with University of Maine and have students from all medical fields there.
Is that why they call themselves a teaching hospital; with a student parking lot and dorm?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Here is the "written" source of my comment ("Eastern Maine Medical Center (EMMC) is not a Teaching Hospital") which lists Portland, but not Bangor (EMMC), for Maine:
http://services.aamc.org/memberlisti...e_criteria=ALL
I had also heard similar from other sources.

Your and Forest's protests led me to call EMMC and ask them, and they insisted that they are a Teaching Hospital and couldn't explain why they were not listed on the AAMC website. I think somewhere there is a fairly strict requirement to meet the definition of "Teaching Hospital" and it appears that EMMC does meet a number of criteria, if not all. Thank you for challenging me!

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 05-15-2007 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,798,372 times
Quote:
Here is the "written" source of my comment ("Eastern Maine Medical Center (EMMC) is not a Teaching Hospital") which lists Portland, but not Bangor (EMMC), for Maine:
http://services.aamc.org/memberlisti...e_criteria=ALL
I had also heard similar from other sources.

Your and Forest's protests led me to call EMMC and ask them, and they insisted that they are a Teaching Hospital and couldn't explain why they were not listed on the AAMC website. I think somewhere there is a fairly strict requirement to meet the definition of "Teaching Hospital" and it appears that EMMC does meet a number of criteria, if not all. Thank you for challenging me!
You called them? Wow you are a dedicated debater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area