Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,095 times

Advertisements

Hi All! So my husband and I are currently full time students, and he works an internship for a engineering company, we do not have children yet, but plan to after I transfer to a University and graduate. Anyways I have a few questions:

#1. What are schools like in Bangor?? and are there any Universities close by?

#2. Our price range for a home is between 200-350$ (my grandmother left me a generous amount when she passed away) We are looking for at least a 3 bed 2 bath with some land we dont need a lot but some would be nice, are there any towns on the outskirts of Bangor I should look at?

#3 My mother (57-60) will also be moving with us so are there activities for her?? And she is also looking for a Safeway or store she can work at as a greeter are there any stores like that around?

I guess that sums up the questions for now...thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
The same first question for you as for everyone else who thinks they want to move to Maine, and it is important that you answer it before you ask any question at all:

WHY do you want to move to Maine? ANYWHERE in Maine?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Thre is a university ten miles from Bangor, well actually Husson is right in Bangor, so make that two nearby. The schools are good.

Plenty of very nice houses with land, in your price range. Some for even less.

There are a bunch of walmarts around to be a greeter at. I'mm scouting out the best locations to be the cart return person at. Though that won't be for quite a few years yet.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,095 times
We would enjoy moving to Maine for a number of reasons, we live in a town called Santa Paula in California and can not stand it anymore, we both would enjoy actual weather instead of either Hot or Santa Anna winds, Another reason, we both want to live on the east coast for family purposes, I mean dont get me wrong we are looking other places, but we have always wanted to move to Maine, and It seems like Bangor is a nice smaller town (like where we are from) and a little more laid back then on the west coast.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,819 times
Bangor is a nice little city. There are two universities near by. Husson and University of Maine Orono. They are both great.
There are lots of houses in your price range and some with land. Check out Realtor.com
There are several towns on the outskirts that are great. Hampden (we have been renting in Hampden and as a matter of fact bought a house today in Hampden) Hermon, and Brewer are nice also. Brewer is a sister city to Bangor.
Have you been to Maine? You may find Bangor a small city and close to what you are used to in size however, living in Maine vs California is not just a change in scenery. They are two different worlds. You should without a doubt make sure you visit in the winter. What you see and hear and what you would actually experience may be very different. Winter can be very long and cold. If you keep busy it is not so bad.
Welcome to the forum and make sure to listen to what some of the posters tell you. They are not being harsh, they are being honest.
Good luck and I hope if you decide to make the move you are happy. Maine is a great place to live.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaFamily02 View Post
We would enjoy moving to Maine for a number of reasons, we live in a town called Santa Paula in California and can not stand it anymore, we both would enjoy actual weather instead of either Hot or Santa Anna winds, Another reason, we both want to live on the east coast for family purposes, I mean dont get me wrong we are looking other places, but we have always wanted to move to Maine, and It seems like Bangor is a nice smaller town (like where we are from) and a little more laid back then on the west coast.
The biggest single difference between any place in Maine and anyplace in California is economic. If you are prepared for the much smaller economy in Maine than exists in California, then you may well like Maine, all other factors being equal.

Maine isn't just a "little more laid back" than the west coast. For many people from the west coast, Maine is so laid back that they spend an awful lot of time trying to find out if Maine has a pulse. If your inheritence grants you true financial independence at your age, Maine will offer everything that you might want. If you have to work for a living, you may not find much in Maine. Look very, very carefully when you visit, and visit several times before jumping.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Welcome

We live just a hair North of Bangor. We like it here.

The schools are great!

Home prices are far below the price range that you are thinking of.
Look around a lot before you jump into any one house.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
According to the FBI, Maine is the safest state. Bangor is a quiet small city with nice parks and most neighborhoods are within walking distance of stores and services. Churches abound and there are many different kinds. Public schools are excellent. Private schools are better and home schooling has a widespread support network in Maine. There are several higher education schools within 10 miles.
University of Maine
University college
Eastern Maine Technical College
Beal College
Husson University
Maine Theological Seminary

I may have missed one or two. You can buy a home such as you describe for well under $200,000. For example, a four bedroom with over 10,000 square feet of barns on 75 acres recently sold for $125,000. Since you won't be here for a year and a half or so, come and visit a few times.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Welcome. Here is the city's website to help you with some details.

Visiting Maine is a must - preferably both in summer and late winter (February or early March).

Welcome to the City of Bangor

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM

38 posts, read 82,618 times
Default Maine

Bangor has a Walmart and SAMs Club. I have a Bachelor's Degree from Husson University and live in Northern Maine (3 hours north of Bangor). I grew up in NYC and Bergen County NJ and moved up here almost 15 years ago. I left one week after the ice storm of January 1998 and my wife and I returned in the Summer of 1999. If you think you might like to snowmobile, Aroostook County has some of the best trails in the country (Michigan is number one). There are many four bedroom houses with 3-5 acres of land on the outskirts of Bangor for less than $200,000. For a cultural experience Quebec and New Brunswick Canada are a 1/2 days drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area