Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:53 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Twitter / Ken Gurnick: Ted Lilly will receive $33 ...

I originally had 3/30 as the terms but though was too high. It's not my money that's being spent but it'll be interesting to see what contracts other F/A pitchers get.
More details

LHP Lilly signs 3-year, $33M deal with Dodgers - MLB - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-dodgers-lilly - broken link)

Quote:
Lilly receives a $3.5 million signing bonus: $500,000 on April 1 and $1.5 million on each following April 1. He gets salaries of $7 million next season, $10.5 million in 2011 and $12 million in 2012. The deal includes a full no-trade clause through the end of the 2012 season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM

Speaking of pitchers...

If I was Colletti (I'm not) I'd call the Braves about Kenshin Kawakami.

Kawakami was 1 - 10 last year with a 5.15 ERA. He didn't have a good year, the Braves have plenty of starters, and Braves fans are eager to get rid of this guy.

Sound like he could come cheap. He's in the last year of his contract and is due to make $6.7 million. If Atlanta would pick up half of that and not want much in a prospect back, I'd make the deal.

In 2009 Kawakami put up a line of:
7 - 12 3.86 in 25 starts, 7 relief appearances and 156.1 innings.

He had:
K/9 = 6.04, BB/9 = 3.28, HR/9 .86, GB%=42.1, FIP=4.21, BABIP=.291 and LeftOnBase%=73.3

This year Kawakami was:
K/9=6.08, BB/9=3.30, HR/9=1.03, GB%=39.7, FIP=4.35, BABIP=.320, and LOB%=63.3

So, basically, he was the exact same guy with some BABIP bad luck. He's not a great pitcher, but he put up 1.7 WAR in 2009. That kind of production would well exceed a $3-$4 million salary.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I'd try and do something along the lines of trading Loney and moving Either to 1st base. Slide Kemp over to right and find someone to play center
I found someone.

Coco Crisp of the Oakland A's

The A's have a $5.75 million option on him for this year. They also have: Rajai Davis, Travis Buck, Ryan Sweeney, Chris Carter and Conor Jackson. That's a lot of outfielders.

The A's could decline the option making Crisp a free agent. That'd be the easiest way for LA to sign him and I wouldn't have to worry about Colletti trading Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp for him. The problem is that A's probably won't decline the option as Crisp could probably make a similar amount on the open market, meaning he's a valuable trade chip.

Why do I (and why should other teams) want Crisp?

He's a good defender in CF. Kemp was terrible in CF last year. He'd be an above average defender in RF but isn't quite up to par in CF. Getting Crisp to play center would have some synergistic effects or increasing defense at three positions-Ethier's arm is better for LF than RF.

Crisp is an underrated offensive player as well. For his career he has a 100 RC+ (similar to OPS+ in that it compares a player's offensive contribution to the league average) meaning he's been average on offense. A league average hitter with plus defense is center field is a valuable player.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM

AFL Thoughts: Phoenix, Surprise Pitchers | FanGraphs Baseball

Quote:
On the Desert Dogs side, It appears as though the Dodgers are using the AFL to stretch out Jon Link, traded with John Ely for Juan Pierre, who has been relieving for four years. In fact, his six-inning start yesterday was his longest outing since August 8, 2005. After four innings, I said to those around me, “Well, that’s the best you’re going to see Jon Link.” Up to that point, he’d allowed just a single hit, subsequently retiring that baserunner via a double play. He was pitching around 90 mph, in the low 80′s with a hard slider, and showing an occasional change-up to a lefty. He was getting good tailing movement on his fastball, reflected by a 7-1 GO/AO ratio up to that point.

I was proven correct in the fifth inning, as the wheels came off a bit for Link. He allowed a first-pitch home run to Hunter Morris on an elevated fastball. After retiring Davis Stoneburner via groundout, Link then gave up three singles and a walk to the next four hitters, giving up two runs in the process. The home run and two of the singles were to left-handed hitters, and in that comment alone, Link’s weakness as a pitcher is exposed. He just can’t buy a swing-and-miss against a lefty, and for that reason, this fall experiment to return Link to the rotation will ultimately fail. Leties hit .299/.402/.483 in Albuquerque this season, and you can see why: his 3/4 release point is easier for them to see, and his fastball moves inside toward them.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I found someone.

Coco Crisp of the Oakland A's

The A's have a $5.75 million option on him for this year. They also have: Rajai Davis, Travis Buck, Ryan Sweeney, Chris Carter and Conor Jackson. That's a lot of outfielders.

The A's could decline the option making Crisp a free agent.
Twitter / Covelli Crisp: I'm happy, I just found ou ...

Quote:
I'm happy, I just found out today that the A's are picking up my option for 2011.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
If I was Colletti (I'm not) I'd call the Braves about Kenshin Kawakami.

Kawakami was 1 - 10 last year with a 5.15 ERA. He didn't have a good year, the Braves have plenty of starters, and Braves fans are eager to get rid of this guy.

So, basically, he was the exact same guy with some BABIP bad luck. He's not a great pitcher, but he put up 1.7 WAR in 2009. That kind of production would well exceed a $3-$4 million salary.
By Gosh, It's Langosch: Pirates have some interest in Kawakami

Quote:
Kawakami, 35, is set to make $6.667 million in 2011, the final year of a three-year deal he signed with Atlanta. The Braves know that they will have to pick up a significant amount of that salary in order to trade Kawakami, so the cost to acquire him would likely only be $1-2 million. Atlanta is not believed to be seeking any significant player return, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball