Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,213,078 times

Advertisements

Clay Buchholz...10-4 with a 2.45 ERA. A 20 game winning season in the making, possibly even a Cy Young season. Then along comes interleague play and an injury running the bases.

Look...I like interleague play overall, but it's time to make the DH the rule for all interleague play. It's not only fair, but also essential to avoid the kind of injury that happened to Buchholz.

AL teams are at a distinct disadvantage at NL parks and during interleague play in general. They lose an important bat and have to change their lineups and defensive formula. Pitchers in the AL usually don't have experience running bases and hitting in the big leagues, or have very little recent experience. NL teams have a big advantage when at home, due to the disruption to the AL team's game plan, and then when they go on the road to the AL team parks, they get an extra bat in the lineup and their starters can go longer.

It's time to even the playing field...either the NL should just adopt the DH (which will probably never happen) or at least interleague play should adopt a 100% DH rule. Injuries like the one that happened to Buchholz just are not acceptable during what are really just meaningless games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
Interleague games count as much as any other in the standings, so they are not meaningless.

I would welcome the NL adopting the DH for all games, I'd rather see a top hitter at the plate than someone who would not be there save for the fact that he can pitch.

However, it is a two way street and NL teams are at a disadvantage in AL parks. Since the DH is in place in the AL, all of the clubs are structured so that they can carry a good hitter regardless of his defensive talents. Often this will be an older player who has lost his ability to play defense at a ML level, but can still swing the lumber.

NL clubs enjoy no such luxury and must structure their clubs with the glovework of everyone in mind. Thus, guys like Ortiz, or Frank Thomas in the latter stages of his career, would never be recruited by an NL club.

The consequence is that when Boston plays an NL team, they have Ortiz as their DH, and the NL club is picking from its bench. Or some regular who hits well might be moved to DH for the game, but his place in the field will be taken by someone who isn't a starter. So, the AL team typically has a good hitter in the slot, while the NL is typically adding a lesser light to the lineup.

So, making it all DH just for interleague, is not fair to the NL teams.

As for injury risks, well hell, aren't these guys supposed to be professional athletes? Boston could not have taken a few days before interleague play began to have a bit of baserunning drill for their pitchers? If running 90 feet is placing a professional athlete in too much jeopardy, maybe he should rethink his career choice.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
If they got rid of the abomination known as the DH then AL pitchers would be hitting and running in spring training, during the season, during interleague, in the All Star Game, during the playoffs, and during the world series. Then they'd be accustomed to it and less likely to get injured when they only have to do it a couple times a year.

Blame the DH rule for the injury. Not the lack of it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If they got rid of the abomination known as the DH then AL pitchers would be hitting and running in spring training, during the season, during interleague, in the All Star Game, during the playoffs, and during the world series. Then they'd be accustomed to it and less likely to get injured when they only have to do it a couple times a year.

Blame the DH rule for the injury. Not the lack of it.
Valid argument but incorrect blame placement.

The fault would lie with having an inconsistent situation, not with having or not having the DH.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,163,836 times
Wang was a 19 game winner twice and then interleague play came along and might have ended his career. We will see if he ever comes back. I think he signed with Washington before the season.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,250,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Wang was a 19 game winner twice and then interleague play came along and might have ended his career. We will see if he ever comes back. I think he signed with Washington before the season.
He did. I can't remember exactly when he is expected to be back, but I believe it was either late July or August if I remember what I read correctly.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,949,800 times
It is about time the leagues aligned regarding the DH. And seeing as there are about as many on either side, why not a coin flip before the all star game to decide. Heads - everyone uses it next year. Tails - they don't. Just end the imbalance.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,309,179 times
I'm a Sox fan, and I'm content with the DH rule as it stands.

The Buchholz incident was a sheer fluke. Look at how many players run the bases daily and don't get injury. Even pitchers. Luckily for Boston, at least Buchholz won't miss a start - though might be pushed back a few days. Better than what happened to Victor or Pedroia.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,643,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It's time to even the playing field...either the NL should just adopt the DH (which will probably never happen) or at least interleague play should adopt a 100% DH rule.
I'm in full agreement with your first statement...but not the second. Absolutely; the playing field should be evened. But it should be evened by eliminating the DH altogether. Pitchers in both leagues came up to the plate for more than a century; why is it suddenly "not good for the game" to allow them to continue doing so?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,711,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm in full agreement with your first statement...but not the second. Absolutely; the playing field should be evened. But it should be evened by eliminating the DH altogether. Pitchers in both leagues came up to the plate for more than a century; why is it suddenly "not good for the game" to allow them to continue doing so?
I think it's starting to trickle all the way down to HS and legion ball. I know the studs on my Varsity team didn't even take BP...In HS! Even if they did get on base, in MN the HSL says that you can have a runner in place for the pitcher, so they never ran bases anyway.

So, if you have 16, 17, 18 yr old kids stop running bases and taking cuts, learning how to hit curveballs and change ups becomes lost.

When do you think the last time Strasburg took a legitimate cut at the plate?

I for surely got real sick of watching interleauge the past week. What's the point in having a guy come up and swing the bat, a guy that hasn't trained to do so in probably over 5 years. Think about it. Let's say a guy gets taken out of HS as a pitching prospect, especially to an AL team. His last real at bat was probably at some meaningless HS game with an aluminum at bat.

So, now I'm sitting in $50 seats watching Scott Baker swing a bat/

Ok, so let's just have an Outfielder pitch 1 inning of every game. How's that sound? Even it out a little bit? Let's start every baseball game with an Outfielder pitching the first inning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball