Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 06:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
If we didn't have to be there for the game, then here are some of my favorite Texas Rangers memories:
Great clips, loved that they showed all of the hits of the 30 run game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:24 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Went to the Game 7 of the World Series in 1997 that was pretty memorable.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:40 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
1988 World Series-game one. A's vs. Dodgers. Bottom of the 9th inning, runner on first and two out.

Lots of youtubes on this one, the best one is the 8:33 version from ESPN Classic. Eckersley had Gibson at 0-2 but Gibson kept on hanging in there. Gibson got lucky on the slow roller that just went foul on the 5th(?) pitch. Gibson wasn't even introduced before the game, and there was good reason for it. He had a sore left hamstring and a sprained right knee. The only way Kirk could get i is with this specific scenario. Eckersley kept working on the corner and tossed 4 balls to Mark McGuire at first. And suddenly Mike Davis bolted to second with catcher Ron Hassey. It was only 2 pitches before that Hassey almost had Davis on a pick off attempt.

I imagine Gibson gave a thought to just getting a hit except for the fact that he would be running at half speed at the most and unless he could line one down the left field line he could possibly be thrown out at first. And then-----------

Vin Scully---"High fly ball to deep right field. SHE IS GONE!"

Jack Buck--"I DON'T believe what I JUST SAW"--I DON"T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!"

It was all Gibson could do to get around the bases and actually was running bow legged. With a huge smile and pumping that fist as he rounded first base.

The A's were prohibitive favorites in this series. And lost the series in 5 games.

An absolute memorable moment!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
1988 World Series-game one. A's vs. Dodgers. Bottom of the 9th inning, runner on first and two out.

Lots of youtubes on this one, the best one is the 8:33 version from ESPN Classic. Eckersley had Gibson at 0-2 but Gibson kept on hanging in there. Gibson got lucky on the slow roller that just went foul on the 5th(?) pitch. Gibson wasn't even introduced before the game, and there was good reason for it. He had a sore left hamstring and a sprained right knee. The only way Kirk could get i is with this specific scenario. Eckersley kept working on the corner and tossed 4 balls to Mark McGuire at first. And suddenly Mike Davis bolted to second with catcher Ron Hassey. It was only 2 pitches before that Hassey almost had Davis on a pick off attempt.

I imagine Gibson gave a thought to just getting a hit except for the fact that he would be running at half speed at the most and unless he could line one down the left field line he could possibly be thrown out at first. And then-----------

It was all Gibson could do to get around the bases and actually was running bow legged. With a huge smile and pumping that fist as he rounded first base.

The A's were prohibitive favorites in this seriesf. And lost the series in 5 games.

As an A's fan my heart was broken, but as a baseball fan, you are absolutely right !!!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
2010 Yankees-Rangers ALCS. It was Andy Pettite's last game until he came out of retirement. It was a terrible showing by the Yankees, but going to a playoff game at Yankee Stadium was a great experience.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:01 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,329,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Great clips, loved that they showed all of the hits of the 30 run game.
That was Game 1 of a doubleheader, too, I believe. They scored 9 runs in the other game, so not only did they set a modern era record for runs in a game, but they broke the record for combined runs in a doubleheader.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

The A's were prohibitive favorites in this series. And lost the series in 5 games.

Gibson's hit was a game winner because in the previous plate appearance, Mike Davis, who had spent his first eight seasons with the A's before signing as a free agent with LA in '88, drew a walk from the best control pitcher in baseball. Eck had only issued 11 free passes in 73 innings that season. (Other than that, Mike Davis is most famous for hitting the only foul ball I ever got at a ML game.)

The events would have been more thrilling had I not been an A's fan, but I still recognize what a memorable moment Gibson had. Despite being a left handed batter, Gibson had more power that season against lefties than he did against right handers. Gibson hit a home run every 28.8 plate appearances against righties, but hit them at a rate of one per every 20.8 plate appearances against lefties.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,355 times
Might be the entirely improbable 19-inning July 4 1985 game between the Mets and Braves that didn't end until 3:15 in the morning. At which time they set off the scheduled post-game fireworks. They had gone to extras tied at 8. The final was 16-13 for the Mets thanks to a 5-run 19th-inning rally.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 PM

52 posts, read 45,115 times
I was born in the Bronx and lived a block away from Yankee Stadium, so i grew up a diehard Yankees fan. Plus i could walk to the Polo grounds for Giants games. After Steinbrenner bought the team i became a Yankee hater.

The games i remember most......

1950 World Series game one at Connie Mack Stadium. I think I was the only one in the stadium rooting for the Yankees and I was booed when I stood up in the 7th inning stretch and waved my Yankees pennant.

1963 World Series game one at Yankee Stadium. Whitey Ford vs Sandy Koufax. I was sitting in the 5th row behind home plate. Dodgers won.

1964 World Series game three at Yankee Stadium. Mantle hit a long homer to win it.

I was also in the bleachers of Yankee Stadium when Ted Williams hit his final homer there, but don't remember the date.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
I just remember the summer of 1976, going to so many Tiger games and seeing Mark Fidrych pitch that year...great memories!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball