Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Watched on TV. Game six 2011 world series, a magical game and a magical year for my Cards. Let me add Game 7 NLCS 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
Can't imagine many games could stack up against 2011 World Series game 6. My Cards down to their last strike twice and win on Freese's walk off HR.
After suffering as a Rangers fan for 40+ years, to be that close to a championship (TWICE) is something that scars you for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,023,540 times
September 6, 1987. Rainy Sunday afternoon with the Orioles hosting the A's at Memorial Stadium. Me and my then six-year old daughter drove up and got good seats not far back of the A's dugout. Not so much of a rain delay as a mist delay descended late in the game. What had been a sparse crowd to start out with quickly vanished into the dampness. As the delay wore on, my daughter made her way through the empty aisles down to the edge of the dugout and peered in. Soon a ballplayer came over and started talking to her. On and on they went, just chatting away back and forth. At one point he looked around, and I gave him a wave from a dozen rows away to let him know that all was well. After about ten minutes they broke it off and she came back up to our seats. I thought right away that she was not going to remember that she had spent ten minutes as a kid talking with Mark McGwire. I was right. The O's won the game on a ninth inning 2-run walk-off pinch-hit homer by Jim Dwyer off Dennis Eckersley. It was a game to remember.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:25 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
The most memorable game just finished. Cubs-2016 World Champions! What a game!

Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The most memorable game just finished. Cubs-2016 World Champions! What a game!
^^This! What a series! Down 3 games to 1 and take the series. Wowzer, wowzer, wowzer!

Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 AM

9,993 posts, read 5,695,637 times
November 2nd and 3rd, 2016. Some 25 years after my first game at Wrigley Field which made me a life-long Cubs fan, I'm watching my team play game 7 in the World Series after clawing their way back from a 3-1 series deficit. As I'm watching them cruise into the 8th with a 3-run lead, I'm thinking it's finally going to happen, but that Cubs fan in me that's been crushed so many times before cautions himself that history has always had other plans for my team. Sure enough, I watch them blow the lead with 4 outs to go. I'm painfully reminded, once again, what it means to be a Cubs fan as I watch their dejected ace closer go into the clubhouse in tears. Then it's tense extra innings. And a rain delay.

Top of the 10th, my Cubbies take the lead again! This is really it! Or is it? I strap in for the bottom of the 10th knowing the bullpen is down to middle relievers who have been unpredictable all through the season. I remember when I told myself back in July that if the Cubs blow it, it'll be because of the bullpen. Sure enough, a promising rookie reliever put into a situation so stressful and so cliche that you'd be laughed out of any Hollywood studio if you presented a screenplay with a story line like this, gives back 1 of the 2 runs the Cubs picked up in top half of the inning.

But alas, there was one more reliever left in the bullpen who had been reliable enough to get one last out, and he does exactly that to preserve the win and a World Series championship for my long-suffering, beloved Cubbies. A 108-year drought is erased and Cubs fans the world over are absolutely elated to have this burden lifted off their shoulders. Goat stew is on the menu all over the Chicago area for the next couple of weeks, and I'll be the first in line to get some.

I still remember it like it just happened.

Last edited by Bitey; 11-03-2016 at 12:48 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 08:01 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,868,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
Can't imagine many games could stack up against 2011 World Series game 6. My Cards down to their last strike twice and win on Freese's walk off HR.
This is my vote also. I can't believe it's been 5 years already since it happened.
9th inning. Elimination game. 2 on, 2 out. Freese hits a triple to send it into extra innings. Then he hits a walk-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZVCrKcOl78

Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times
95 ALCS Game 6- Indians clinching their first trip to the WS in decades with a win over Seattle. With Randy Johnson on the mound Kenny Lofton scoring from 2nd on a passed ball.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:24 PM

465 posts, read 304,173 times
Growing up as a Yankees fan and feeling that your heart got ripped out in 95 vs Seattle, seeing a WS victory and postseason magic for first time in 96, seeing history & dynasty from 98-00, seeing utter shock & what could've been in 01 and feeling pissed off at your team in the postseason for their performances from 04-07 but there's only one game that was so memorable in where I wish I was at the stadium live.

Game 7 of 03 ALCS. The game was great but once you set the narrative, you'd understand why nothing felt so satisfying. After 02, the Yankees were turning into a team that was getting to the postseason by default and 03 was nothing different. There was some complacency that set in for sure. However being a threat to challenge for the postseason, the Red Sox gained so much momentum through that entire summer. I was going into my sophomore year at URI that September and there was definitely buzz I haven't seen before and nastiness towards the Yankees. I can wear my Yankees shirt today around here without any comments but in the early 2000s you'd be asking for trouble if you did that in New England. The Oakland/Boston series before that was a clear example as even the players got very overconfident and cocky when playing the A's and it definitely rubbed off on their fans. There's a story that A's pitcher Tim Hudson went like 2 innings in Game 4 because of a fight with a fan in Boston.

That whole series felt emotionally draining and tense and I still remember where I was during every inning, especially those games at Fenway. Then Game 7 came and I watched it in my place with my roomate who was a die hard Sox fan, not cocky but very self righteous when it came to talking Sox/Yanks. We sat there living and dying with every pitch. I was confident in Clemens and having that home field advantage but that quickly disappeared when Trot Nixon blasted an early home run in the RF bleachers. After Enrique Wilson's error and Millar's leadoff HR, you didn't know how coming back was possible, especially with Pedro on the mound. With Clemens planning on retiring at the end of the year, I said to my roomate "It's too bad his final game was a lousy one" and he said "Who knows, maybe it won't be". For the first seven innings, the only hitter who had it figured out vs Pedro was Jason Giambi as somehow hitting him lower turned him into a new hitter. Frustration sort of grew when the Yanks would get runners on with two outs and somehow Alfonso Soriano would have no chance in a key spot. I remember after Soriano struck out in the 7th, I told my roomate that I was probably going to bed but I never moved. I remember him saying something like "This is something special".

Then the bottom of the 8th happened. We just watched in silence. After Nick Johnson had a bad AB and popped out, Jeter was able to hit that double. After a Bernie single, I sort of had some hope. One on and one out with Matsui down by 2. Before he came to the plate I recalled him taking some great cuts vs Pedro in Game 3 (a game the Sox should've won on paper) and remember feeling confident that Embree wasn't in pitching. Matsui then lined that ground rule double down the RF line and in my mind I'm screaming "holy s&&&", we're a base hit away! I sat there in silence hoping for something great to happen. Pedro then faced Posada and the bloop hit and I never felt so alive and energized. I could tell by the look on my roomate's face that he lost all confidence in the Sox. I don't remember the old Yankee Stadium feeling that loud, the vibration and that type of celebration in a long long time. A lot of people also don't remember after Pedro got taken out, the Yanks loaded the bases with two outs and Soriano hit a really sharp liner that took a weird bounce. I really thought that was going to be a hit but Todd Walker made a nice play to make the third out.

Into extras, David Ortiz was turning into the scariest hitter you didn't want to face. After hitting a HR in the eighth, he hit a very deep fly ball to left off Rivera (I thought could've been a HR). Luckily Rivera got Millar out. The Yanks were running out of chances thought because Rivera went three innings and were looking at possibly Jeff Weaver coming out next inning. I remember after Mirabelli stuck out and had no chance vs Rivera, seeing Boone was leading off next inning. I remember watching Game 4 and he had some great cuts vs Wakefield so you never know. Then all the sudden, unexpectedly he hits that fly ball down the line and feeling alive felt like pure joy.

Unfortunately the Sox got their retaliation in a much sweeter way the year after and at this point the fans were more confident it didn't feel like as much hate. Aaron Boone will always be remembered for this one game and he's such an interesting footnote. If the Yankees never trade for him, their 3b situation might've looked much differently but Boone was set to be their guy in 04. In February with teams finalizing their rosters, Boone tears his ACL playing basketball and we get Alex Rodriguez & Javy Vazquez instead of Curt Schilling.

Honorable mentions:
September 93- Red Sox/Yankees game where a fly out would've ended game but fan ran on field. Yanks got another chance, rallied and then scored 3 runs to beat Boston.
93 Phillies/Blue Jays game 6- first WS I ever watched
95 NY/SEA game 4/5- Never felt so intimidated watching a playoff baseball game
96 Yankees entire season- At this point, I never followed a championship team but so many good memories
01- Game 4/5 World Series NY/ARZ- The unbelievable 9th inning home runs to tie the game
05- Division clinching game at Boston- Felt emotionally thrilling after 04 with our paper thin rotation of Wang, Chacon & Aaron Small pitching their asses off
11/04/09- Yanks/Philly Game 6- First WS victory in 9 years beating Pedro
Game 6 2011 World Series- It was on a Thursday night and somehow I previously took off that Friday from work. Thank god. So glad I watched that whole thing
Game 7 2014 World Series- SF/KC- Great World Series as a baseball fan and all time great game.

Last edited by jvmillion83; 11-03-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 PM

372 posts, read 522,547 times
Game 7 of the 1992 NLCS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgjIVvEQo_o

I literally thought I was going to have a heart attack. One of the best games ever played.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
Growing up as a Yankees fan and feeling that your heart got ripped out in 95 vs Seattle, seeing a WS victory and postseason magic for first time in 96, seeing histor.....
Great post! You have some really good accounts of the games.

You forgot the 07 ALDS Indians v. Yankees Attack of the midges.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-03-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball