Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 08:29 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times

Advertisements

Game 7 2001 World Series.

I followed the Yankees in the late 80s and early 90s when they were terrible. Then suddenly they were competitive again. I was a very fortunate teenager to get to watch them steamroll the league for a few years.

I lived in NYC during 9/11 and baseball really helped me move on from the tragedy. It might sound lame now, but it did help.

Anyway, in the ALDS the Yankees escaped an 0-2 hole against the A's, including the "Flip Play." Then they had to go up against the 116-win Mariners in the ALCS. The 2001 Yankees were not the strongest team. But, fans had been treated to 3 straight WS wins and another one in 1996. There was some sort of fervor that just carried fans along - that not even the 116-win Mariners were going to stop the Yankees. And the Yankees steamrolled them too.

Then of course Schilling and Johnson put the Yankees to bed. But, those two 9th inning two-out, down by two comebacks really could reinforce that the Yankees were going to pull it off. Somehow.

7th game - Soriano breaks the tie in the 8th. Rivera up to this point was nearly god-like in the postseason. His ERA from the 1996 WS until he stepped out on the mound for the 9th inning of the 2001 WS Game 7 was around 0.70. That's something like 63 IP with 5 ER. I had just gotten off the phone with a friend of mine during the commercial break. We were all ready to celebrate. I likely had We Are the Champions queued up. For the record, Yankee fans were insufferable. But, you'd be the same if your team kept winning in the postseason the way the Yankees did - and a four-peat would just be a cherry on top for 2001.

Well, that all went crashing down awfully quick. Rivera was seen as vulnerable and the Yankees were never the same. Nor was my view of baseball. Which is honestly much healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM

484 posts, read 467,548 times
That was a great World Series, dspguy. I'm a Cubs fan from the Midwest but I was rooting for the Yankees to win that year.
I don't think your comment was "lame." On the flip side, it's very understandable to me and I am sure most sports fans.
One very minor thing I liked about that year that never would have happened if not for 9/11 ... baseball in November for the first time. What a treat, especially here in the Midwest (and in the Northeast) where November is the beginning of the descent into winter. It was cool having some baseball that late, although obviously the cause was something we'd never want to see again. I know a lot of fans hate baseball spilling into November, but I'll never complain.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:23 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
The first time I'd seen the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, I was with my friend Mark B., who works/worked at channels 20 or 31? Well anywho, got to see the game from nice box seats.

The game was nice, Rox won, but what was phenomenal was when we walked out of the Stadium, I mean right as we were walking out, the Colorado Avalanche inaugural Championship parade was going by us right then and there.

We melded right into and along it into Civic Center, or whatever you call it.

Saw Peter Forsberg and probably Joe Sakic and Deadmarsh and Adam Foote and Richie (sp? The toothless wonder) and whomever else, riding on those fire trucks.

The feeling in the air for Denver and Colorado and the whole Rocky Mountain region seemed to linger in what would eventually culminate into the Denver Broncos first NFL Super Bowl Championship parade.

Oh, and I was sober then too, so remember it all vividly.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM

294 posts, read 219,618 times
My father died in my home in November 1995 in the very spot I am sitting right now. He took me to my first Cubs game when I was very young. I was sitting here on October 26 2016 when the Cubs won the first game of the World Series, October 26 is my dads birthday and needless to say it was a very emotional moment.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:17 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
I saw Jim Rice get his first hit.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
NLCS game 6 Brewers beat Dodgers to force a game 7 only to lose. 1 game away. However still my fondest memory is of my first game.

Getting to County Stadium in the summer of 1989, hearing the sounds of the game, John Fogerty's centerfield playing on the loud speakers, all the tailgating, the grills the smoke the general happiness and excitement of everyone there. County Stadium was a dump in most people's eyes but it was the Roman Colosseum to me. As we walked past each hallway that led to the field I got more and more anxious and more and more excited.

Then we made a right, walked up the ramp and came out to left center field. It was the greenest cleanest nicest grass I have ever seen. I think I stood at the railing all game. Bleacher seats were just $4 bucks back then and it's where the rowdy commodores sat. The feeling of being at a big league game with your father's hand in your hand was as good as it gets.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
What's saddest about the loss of County Stadium was no more Packers games in Milwaukee.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
World Series Game #1, Red Sox versus Dodgers Oct 23, 2018.

First postseason game I've gone to. Seeing "my" team win 8-4 in Game #1. Being at Fenway for it. Yup, that'll do it for now.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:20 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Braves fan here. Unfortunately- 7th game of the World Series vs the Twins. Lonnie Smith fell asleep on the basepaths and could not score from 2nd base on Pendletons double off the OF wall! Consequently, we lost in extra innings. Also, little used Francisco Cabrera winning the deciding game against Pittsburgh with the 2 run single in the bottom of the ninth. Barry Bonds shot Van Slyke a bird when he suggested he move over a little right before the base hit to left- only cost the Pirates the National League Championship. Couldn't happen to a nicer cheater than Bonds. I was there when Aaron hit his 715th to break Ruths record. Aaron is the true home run champion.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Braves fan here. Unfortunately- 7th game of the World Series vs the Twins. Lonnie Smith fell asleep on the basepaths and could not score from 2nd base on Pendletons double off the OF wall! Consequently, we lost in extra innings. Also, little used Francisco Cabrera winning the deciding game against Pittsburgh with the 2 run single in the bottom of the ninth. Barry Bonds shot Van Slyke a bird when he suggested he move over a little right before the base hit to left- only cost the Pirates the National League Championship. Couldn't happen to a nicer cheater than Bonds. I was there when Aaron hit his 715th to break Ruths record. Aaron is the true home run champion.
Smith was on first base on the Pendleton double. Still, he should have scored - he fell for the Gagne/Knoblauch feint at second base, where he held up long enough to keep him from getting past third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball