Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 08:08 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times

Advertisements

Most memorable wasn't the best but …..

Dad took me to a game in which our pathetic Orioles played the mighty Yanks in 1954. Our starter was Don Larsen who would finish 3 wins and 21 losses that year.

But we won 10-0 and the game featured a grand slam by bench player Bob Kennedy.

Oh, this was the same Don Larsen who would play for the 1956 Yanks and pitch a perfect World Series game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:16 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Most memorable wasn't the best but …..

Dad took me to a game in which our pathetic Orioles played the mighty Yanks in 1954. Our starter was Don Larsen who would finish 3 wins and 21 losses that year.

But we won 10-0 and the game featured a grand slam by bench player Bob Kennedy.

Oh, this was the same Don Larsen who would play for the 1956 Yanks and pitch a perfect World Series game.
Sad to see what the O's are these days. I remember a time when the O's were the only team with a winning record against the NYY, a stat long gone....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sad to see what the O's are these days. I remember a time when the O's were the only team with a winning record against the NYY, a stat long gone....
Amen, Mike.

I probably attended 20 games in '66, same seat behind the plate, first row of lower reserved, always bought in advance. Had a perfect view of Frank hitting it completely out of the park that Sunday which might've been Mother's Day, but missed the WS thanx to Uncle Sam.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Amen, Mike.

I probably attended 20 games in '66, same seat behind the plate, first row of lower reserved, always bought in advance. Had a perfect view of Frank hitting it completely out of the park that Sunday which might've been Mother's Day, but missed the WS thanx to Uncle Sam.
I'd buy tix early in the season, first row of UPPER reserved, directly behind home plate, right over the press box.

IIRC back in the day those were like $6 tix.

At age 71 I now get to use the term "good old days."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Speaking of the '60's Orioles....

I grew up in Miami which did not have a ML team, but the Orioles were based there for Spring Training, so they were the first team I followed. At the games, I would be among the kids who would try to sneak down to the first row before the games started and beg the players for an autograph as they came and went from the dugout. You could only last a little while down there before the ushers came and chased you back to your own seat. In '65 I finally scored, one of the players took my program, signed it and handed it back. I was thrilled until I looked and saw the name "Davey Johnson." Hell, he was some minor leaguer trying to make the team, I had never heard of him, I felt cheated.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd buy tix early in the season, first row of UPPER reserved, directly behind home plate, right over the press box.

IIRC back in the day those were like $6 tix.

At age 71 I now get to use the term "good old days."
I remember that at some point during the early 1970's, at the Oakland Coliseum, first deck tickets (better view of the field than second or third deck) were $7, and bleacher seats were 75 cents.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Jeter's walk off home run in '05 vs the Red Sox

As soon as I got to the game I hadn't even sat down yet, I was late and didn't get there until the third inning, before I sat down in my seat Godzilla smacked one out

Yes, both HRs happened same game

I was loge level too, that's the closest I've ever sat at an MLB game

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2019, 06:22 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
I was lucky to be in attendance for Dave Righetti's no hitter on the 4th of July.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I saw Jim Rice get his first hit.
Among my favorite Fenway experiences was being in attendance the day they retired his number.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
The craziest game I've ever been to was in Cleveland on a sunday night in 2001 against Seattle. The Mariners led 14-2 entering the bottom of the 7th inning and the Tribe came back to win 15-14. It was a truly crazy game.

I was also at the very 1st game in Jacobs Field (will always be the Jake to me)...watched President Clinton throw out the first pitch...Tribe won in extra inning with Wayne Kirby singling home the winning run. I was 15 and will never forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball