Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 08:36 AM

20,238 posts, read 9,160,420 times

Advertisements

when I was a kid sitting in the bleachers at Griffith Stadium and Mickey Mantle hit a homer run over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 10:29 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,771,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
when I was a kid sitting in the bleachers at Griffith Stadium and Mickey Mantle hit a homer run over my head.
Wow! Griffith Stadium was where Mantle hit what was touted since 1953 to be the longest home run in MLB history at 565 ft. Just now, though, I read in Wiki about another Mantle homer claimed to be 643 ft. at Tiger Stadium. Never heard about that one 'til just now.

Anyway, Mantle was in a class by himself. I saw him play several times, but I don't remember whether I ever saw him homer.

Old 05-05-2022, 04:23 PM

7,468 posts, read 6,639,852 times
I was in attendance the day Ron Guidry struck out 18 Angels in 1978 which was the first time fans rose to their feet when a pitcher got 2 strikes on a batter.

I also attended Game 4 of the 1998 Yankees clinching World Series title in San Diego.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:26 PM

7,109 posts, read 11,405,001 times
I was at the game "Cal Ripken did not play in."

I think he was batting 6th or 7th at that point. I looked at the scoreboard and didn't see him listed. I assumed he was batting somewhere else, looked again, nothing. I turned to my friend, we looked at each other, and he said "Well I guess that's it."

Camden Yards was dead silent from the scoreboard display moment to the end of the top of the first. Cal came out of the dugout to a big ovation, went back, and the game went on. No clue what happened after that, lol.

I saw Nolan Ryan pitch twice as a kid, but have conflated the memories and can't find box scores to match them in the years I went. I remember him getting roughed up by the Pirates and dominating the O's a couple of years later, but box scores likely show the opposite. Oh well, I know I was there!

Old 05-30-2022, 08:37 PM

33,365 posts, read 12,677,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If that game was highly memorable for you then please consider telling us about it in this thread.

As I've mentioned in past threads (and should have included in that post, I apologize that I didn't) I was so little that I didn't really know what was going on, but I'd like to think that there was some sort of positive vibe/energy during those games that I absorbed that fostered a lifelong love of Major League Baseball .

I do have a sort of fun anecdote re my first game at Fenway.

It was in 2006 or 2007.

I didn't have a ticket in advance, so I waited in the ticket sales line at Fenway, and they stopped, saying they were sold out, after the person ahead of me. I pleaded with the cashier/seller, mentioning that this was my last chance (it was the last day of the home stand, IIRC, rather than my absolute last day in Boston).....but to no avail.

I turned and started to walk away, and a small older man tapped me on the shoulder and said he had a solution and to follow him (he had overheard the exchange with the cashier/seller). I got a positive vibe form him/didn't think he was leading me to something bad, so I followed him. We walked a a place where there was a person who was a sort of gatekeeper was manning that location, which wasn't a customer entrance. The man I was following chatted with that man for a few minutes, and that man pointed us to another location. When we got to the other location, a man handed a ticket to the guy I was following, and he handed the ticket to me, and told me to enjoy the game . I used the ticket to enter Fenway.

At a point during the game, what had generally happened revealed itself via a 'to the crowd audio and video announcement/'celebration'. For two or three multi decade Red Sox employees, that game was their last game, and one of those employees was the man who helped me. He had been an usher there for decades. That day, I benefited from his privilege. To this day, I don't know if that was a privilege that he could exercise at any time, or if that was a privilege/something they were letting him do (get and give me a ticket) because everyone knew it was his last game. A positive memory I can carry for the rest of my life .

Old 05-30-2022, 08:51 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
July 4th, 1985, Atlanta Braves and New York Mets in Atlanta. I was watching from my grandma's house as a teenager. The most crazy game I have ever seen. Rain delays, multiple comebacks by both teams in 16 innings. A pitcher with an .060 batting average (and 83 strike outs in 167 at bats) homers to tie the game... I can't do it justice. Here's a link to someone who can.

The Mets and Braves celebrated July 4 by playing one of the craziest games in MLB history

Old 05-31-2022, 01:00 AM

10,047 posts, read 5,765,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
July 4th, 1985, Atlanta Braves and New York Mets in Atlanta. I was watching from my grandma's house as a teenager. The most crazy game I have ever seen. Rain delays, multiple comebacks by both teams in 16 innings. A pitcher with an .060 batting average (and 83 strike outs in 167 at bats) homers to tie the game... I can't do it justice. Here's a link to someone who can.

The Mets and Braves celebrated July 4 by playing one of the craziest games in MLB history
Stories like this is why I hate the DH rule and I'm sad to see it gone for good.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:34 AM

33,365 posts, read 12,677,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
As I've mentioned in past threads (and should have included in that post, I apologize that I didn't) I was so little that I didn't really know what was going on, but I'd like to think that there was some sort of positive vibe/energy during those games that I absorbed that fostered a lifelong love of Major League Baseball .

I do have a sort of fun anecdote re my first game at Fenway.

It was in 2006 or 2007.

I didn't have a ticket in advance, so I waited in the ticket sales line at Fenway, and they stopped, saying they were sold out, after the person ahead of me. I pleaded with the cashier/seller, mentioning that this was my last chance (it was the last day of the home stand, IIRC, rather than my absolute last day in Boston).....but to no avail.

I turned and started to walk away, and a small older man tapped me on the shoulder and said he had a solution and to follow him (he had overheard the exchange with the cashier/seller). I got a positive vibe form him/didn't think he was leading me to something bad, so I followed him. We walked a a place where there was a person who was a sort of gatekeeper was manning that location, which wasn't a customer entrance. The man I was following chatted with that man for a few minutes, and that man pointed us to another location. When we got to the other location, a man handed a ticket to the guy I was following, and he handed the ticket to me, and told me to enjoy the game . I used the ticket to enter Fenway.

At a point during the game, what had generally happened revealed itself via a 'to the crowd audio and video announcement/'celebration'. For two or three multi decade Red Sox employees, that game was their last game, and one of those employees was the man who helped me. He had been an usher there for decades. That day, I benefited from his privilege. To this day, I don't know if that was a privilege that he could exercise at any time, or if that was a privilege/something they were letting him do (get and give me a ticket) because everyone knew it was his last game. A positive memory I can carry for the rest of my life .

FWIW, anyone puzzled by the bolded part of my reply being incongruous with the title of this thread, the 'that post' I'm referring to isn't in this thread, it's post #243 in the 'Oakland A's' thread (also see post #244).

Old 05-31-2022, 07:39 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Stories like this is why I hate the DH rule and I'm sad to see it gone for good.
Yep. I totally agree. I liked the two leagues being different in that regard, but I always preferred NL games. Baseball is not the game it used to be for me. First, I live three hundred miles from Atlanta and cannot find them on Dish. When they are on Fox or ESPN, a lot of times their games are blacked out. I've been a Braves fan since the days of Bob Horner, Dale Murphy, Glenn Hubbard and Rafeal Ramirez, but now I cannot find them. When I was in my car a lot for work, I would listen to them on the radio. If I was at home, the game was on TV.

I'm not a fan of some of the new rules, too. Let's put a random guy on second in extra innings that did nothing to earn that spot.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 PM

17,543 posts, read 22,313,949 times
I went to the Cubs game 10/14/03, game 6 of the NCLS. I was in left field aisle 4, row 8, seat 113 and reached out to snag a fly ball.........my name is Steve Bartman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball