Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 02:18 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,395,367 times

Advertisements

If you include minor league baseball, September 20th, 1999, in Harrisburg, PA, I was at Game 5 of the Eastern League (AA) Championship, where the series was tied 2-2, it matched the Harrisburg Senators (Expos) vs. the Norwich Navigators (Yankees).

Now Harrisburg was already back-to-back-to-back Eastern League Champs at that point, and was going for the 4-peat, which is super rare, especially in minor league baseball with the high player turnover rate.

Milton Bradley at the plate. Two outs. Bottom of the ninth. Final game of the series. Down by three. Full count. He hits a walk-off grand slam and the place went crazy!

Stories of The Slam: 10-year anniversary of Milton Bradley's walk-off grand slam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9FlmvbdsNA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 10:23 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
There was another Braves game that was pretty crazy. I had to look it up to remind myself of some of it. First, I had remembered the Braves being down 9-2 in the bottom of the ninth. It was actually 9-3, but earlier in the game they had been down 8-0. It was an afternoon game during the week. I was working second shift then, so I had had the game on as I was doing a few things around the house before I left for work. When it was time to get ready for work, I cut the TV off as it went to the ninth. No need to bother watching the rest of this one, I thought.

So I left for work and turned the radio on. It was on the sports station that carried the Braves games.... But, hold on... it was a home game for Atlanta and the crowd was going nuts. I don't remember who was calling the game. Don Sutton would have been on color. My Swiss cheese memory won't let me remember the play by play guy, but I shoukd know it. He was hired to replace the irreplacable Skip Caray who had died a few years prior. Plus, he had worked in Columbia, SC media prior and I lied in Columbia at the time.

They set the game up for me. Two outs, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and Braves were down 9-6. Hollywood makes up those kinds of scenarios. Brooks Conrad was up. Who? Conrad was a utility infielder at the time. I liked him. He was one of those low talent, high energy guys who make a name for themselves by hustling every play. He had spent that year like he did most of his career, going back and forth between the majors and minors

This is his MLB career in a nutshell -

Batting average .200
Home runs 19
Runs batted in 73

SOURCE

But somehow in 2010, he had a knack for getting a hit when the Braves needed it. And he would not fail his team that day either hitting a two strike two out homer to win the game! Amazing!

The homerun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWW89d7XsU

Brooks Conrad’s grand slam caps Atlanta comeback | Baseball notebook

Old 06-09-2022, 10:30 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,582,735 times
Had to look it up. Jim Powell called that game on radio with the late Don Sutton. SOURCE They were a hell of a team. Powell was a graduate of University of South Carolina and worked for a time at WOLO here in town. He later joined the Brewers broadcast team and worked alongside Bob Uecker.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:08 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,500,375 times
In 1995 with first full regular season in the new Jacobs Field Stadium. I had bleacher seats and treated a nephew to game. It was the year of many slugging comebacks by the Indians. This game featured Toronto at Cleveland. David Cone was pitching and The Blue Jays jumped out to an 8 -1 lead early in game. The Indians came back in later innings to win it 9-8. The fans were loud and into the game on a perfect summer day. Paul Sorrento ended it on a first pitch 9th inning home run. I call these exclamation point wins as the continuous surge of an offensive comeback culminates quickly to peak the crowds adrenaline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID0VZyMQrjM

Post season favorite was the 1995 ALDS Game 1 win, when Tony Pena hit walk off home run. The Pent up frustration of 47 years since Cleveland fans had experienced a post season win was explosive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyC4myYv5IU

I will always remember the Aug 6, 2001, Cleveland vs Seattle comeback, but I wasn't at the game, rather, I was listening to the whole game while moving in to a new apartment. Fortunately, you can watch the game on ESPN instant classics. The Indians announcer Tom Hamilton was so excited he mistakenly called it a victory when they tied it up in 9th inning (of course they edit it) - it showed how remarkable that comeback was.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:35 PM

587 posts, read 447,264 times
I saw Fernando Valenzuela pitch the entire game of the 1981 World Series against the Yankees where the Dodgers won 1-0. It was a Friday night at Dodger Stadium and my friend and I had driven up that afternoon from San Diego where we were going to college.

And now coming full circle as a Padre fan against the Dodgers on Saturday night. My daughter and I got last minute tickets for the game and it was an amazing night of baseball. To see the Padres come back in the 7th inning and then for the sky to open up with the rain (or was it Dodger tears!).

Old 10-21-2022, 07:44 PM

8,496 posts, read 7,492,748 times
Didn't see this in person, watched it on TV. Was surprised that this thread didn't include this.

October 14, 1984. World Series Game 5. San Diego Padres at Detroit Tigers. Tigers lead the series 3 games to 1.

Bottom of the 8th inning. Score 5-4 Tigers. Runners at 2nd and 3rd. 1st base open. One out. Goose Gossage on the mound. Kirk Gibson, batting 3rd in the order, comes to the plate. Years ago, Gibson's first major league at-bat was against Gossage, and he struck out on three pitches. Gossage had owned Gibson ever since...until this at-bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSg0vi56syw

Old 10-27-2022, 12:39 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,453,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Didn't see this in person, watched it on TV. Was surprised that this thread didn't include this.

October 14, 1984. World Series Game 5. San Diego Padres at Detroit Tigers. Tigers lead the series 3 games to 1.

Bottom of the 8th inning. Score 5-4 Tigers. Runners at 2nd and 3rd. 1st base open. One out. Goose Gossage on the mound. Kirk Gibson, batting 3rd in the order, comes to the plate. Years ago, Gibson's first major league at-bat was against Gossage, and he struck out on three pitches. Gossage had owned Gibson ever since...until this at-bat.

I saw a Youtube video the other day.. Not sure if it was top 10 or what, but.. It was "Surprising players who never made an All Star Team"

Kirk Gibson didn't. Blows my mind that someone who won MVP never made an all star team, regardless of what you think about that MVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2abWpXqYjA

There's the video. Worth a watch if you have a few minutes.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:59 AM

8,496 posts, read 7,492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I saw a Youtube video the other day.. Not sure if it was top 10 or what, but.. It was "Surprising players who never made an All Star Team"

Kirk Gibson didn't. Blows my mind that someone who won MVP never made an all star team, regardless of what you think about that MVP.
Honestly never realized that Gibson never made an All-Star game. From some digging, I found this article. Take-aways from that are that Gibson was only on the All-Star ballot four times, that he was invited twice to be on the roster, once by Sparky Anderson for the 1985 game and once by Whitey Herzog for the 1988 game. Both times he turned them down, saying he'd rather stay home.

Maybe he didn't want to go if he didn't start the game. Or maybe he was dealing with injuries. Or even just didn't see the need to play in an exhibition game.

The All-Star game is a popularity contest. The fans vote on who gets in. Lesser players in bigger markets have an edge over better players in smaller markets.

Also, after his playing career was over and Gibson became a coach, during rough times some of his players derided him as 'Mr. Two-Hit'. IMO, kind of harsh. But Gibson didn't exactly stand head and shoulders over other outfielders of his day.

Still, those World Series homers were pretty sweet to watch.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:37 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,000,562 times
I've been to about 300 games give or take. Always with the Padres. (Old season ticket holder.)

One game I remember, Dave Winfield was in Right. Runner on 2nd. Deep fly to the warning track at San Diego Stadium. The runner flies around third, heading for home. Winfield throws a missle towards home plate. This thing was no more than 10-12 feet in the air at it's arc, and was traveling FAST. No bounce, just like a rifle shot. Ball beats the runner to the plate and is tagged "out." Crowd was silent. Nobody knew a human could even do that. I mean pitchers throw hard, but this was on another level. I knew we'd just witnessed something extraordinary. I've looked for it on yootoob, but haven't seen it since live. Holy Hell, Dave can throw HARD! Then, he was traded to the Yankees and that was the end of the Padres chances for WS contention.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:44 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,500,375 times
With all the new rules implemented for the 2023 season I think this has to be the best game of the year. How many games will even get to 14th innings and do so with this level of excitement multiple times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_bqwLUItU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball