Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:42 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've mentioned my most unforgettable game previously, that was one between two teams, neither of which I rooted for, and was watched on TBS.

The best game I attended where I had a rooting interest was May 2nd, 1995, Dodgers visiting at Candlestick.

Hideo Nomo started for the Dodgers, his ML debut, there was as yet no "Nomo-Mania", that would evolve as the year went on and he finished 19-9. Mark Portugal started for SF. Nomo lasted five innings, started to show some control problems and was replaced despite having giving up no runs. Portugal pitched shutout ball through the 7th. Then the relievers took over, each team would wind up using eight pitchers in the game. The Giants mounted a threat in the 6th, but could not score. The Dodgers had threats in the 8th and 9th, but failed to score.

On the game went into extra innings with neither team mounting anything which resembled a rally. Then in the top of the 15th, the first two Dodgers went down easily. After that the dam burst. Single, single, double run scores, double two more runs score.

So now it is 3-0 in the bottom of the 15th. The crowd had been conspicuously small for a Dodger-Giant game, but this was the season after the strike and fans were not turning out in large numbers. The attendance was 16,000 and a handful and I would estimate that half of them had already left before the 15th started. After the Dodgers racked up their three runs, half of those left also departed. My friend and I discussed leaving, but then reasoned that with so many gone and so few left, there would be no traffic problems exiting, so what the hell, stay to the bitter end.

The first two Giants were retired in the bottom of the 15th and we were packing up our stuff and getting ready to head for the parking lot when the 3rd string utility catcher, Jeff Reed, kept things alive by drawing a walk. Okay, well, we'll hang around for the formality of the end...then Darren Lewis singled...bringing up Robby Thompson who hit the ball into the right field stands to tie the game.

Then Barry Bonds hit a ball deep in the hole behind second base and beat it out for a single. Matt Williams came up and smashed a double off the wall in left field, Bonds coming all the way around from first to score the winning run, just beating the throw. The few thousand of us left went nuts.
That was some team, wasn't it.

If I know nothing else about the Giants, I know they dont roll over and die. For the last .. what... 30 years. under many different managers with many different styles, they have not been quitters. Game after game, season after season, they find some way to get back into the game.

You Giant fans continue to have something wonderful going on, as witnessed by the last 5 years and particularly in this latest postseason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
That was some team, wasn't it.

It was in 1993, by '95 Will Clark was gone to the Rangers, but for a time the Giants had an incredibly tight defensive infield with Clark, Thompson, Royce Clayton at Short and Williams at third.

Didn't really think of Matt Williams as future managerial material in those days. He was very shy with the press, never had much to say about anything and clearly he didn't enjoy being interviewed. He was also shy on the ballfield, he ran out his home runs in haste, with his head down staring at the dirt all the way around. If the crowd was demanding a curtain call, his teammates had to shove him out of the dugout where he would quickly tip his cap and duck right back in.

He was a gardener at third. Between every play, Williams spent time policing up imaginary pebbles, raking and smoothing the dirt with his cleats, it apparently was never quite to his liking.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
I was at the Royals-A's wildcard game here in Kansas City. I think no matter how this World Series ends.. That game will be one of the great games of this decade. I am honored to say I was there

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Game 1 of the 1988 World Series!! The Gibson homer game.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Kinda funny how the A's are always on the losing end of some of the most memorable games in baseball history.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:51 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
In 1997 I went to Game 7 of the World Series between the Marlins and Indians even though I was not a fan of either team it was pretty cool. I remember walking out in the parking lot and they were shooting fire works in the sky.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 PM

109 posts, read 135,943 times
July 4th 1983, Yankee Stadium, Yanks vs. Red Sox. First game I took my 2 young sons to...Dave Righetti no hits Sox with a pretty unusual Yankee line up. Great catch by Steve Kemp in right field. The stadium was rockin', my sons have been baseball fans since. Great memory.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Kinda funny how the A's are always on the losing end of some of the most memorable games in baseball history.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ............

Even in those great 70's series which they won, it seemed the other teams were more memorable

Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM

451 posts, read 562,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Game 1 of the 1988 World Series!! The Gibson homer game.
Yes!
I was only 6 yrs old at the time and this was the exact mark when I became a Dodgers/baseball fan. I didn't understand much about the game only that my family and every adult I seemed to know (teachers, etc) were Dodgers fans. Watched the game with my family in the living room. At the time, I probably thought Game 1 was the championship game and when Gibson hit that home run, I knew that it was a big deal. That homerun gives me chills every time I see it.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:41 PM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
For live games it would have to be this one:
Coco Crisp and James Shields ignite brawl in Boston - YouTube

Always a good time when the Red Sox and (Devil) Rays get together. I was also at Curt Schilling's 200th career win and the longest 9 inning game in MLB history (4:45) between the Sox and Yankees in '06, which was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

For televised games, hard to argue with game 4 of the '04 world series, which changed the landscape of Red Sox Nation. A strong case could also be made for the Varitek-Arod glove-to-the-face game earlier that season, which helped set the tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball