Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times

Advertisements

Lifelong Yankee fan here, so obviously the most memorable games for me involved the Bombers.

One memory from youth: it was early 70's in the old, old Stadium -- how I loved that place -- and there was a weekend double header against the Red Sox on a hot, humid day -- this isn't really about what happened on the field -- but that the stadium was packed *well-beyond* capacity. There was virtually nowhere for general-admission fans to sit -- people were sitting on the stairs/aisles, and my friend sat in an end-of-aisle seat while I rested my butt on the chair arm! (Of course in those wonderfully weird days, there WERE sections of empty seats -- in the back of the field level under the the mezzanine -- the views from those seats were so obscurred, that in the very back you could only see the home plate umpire -- you couldn't even see the batter, never mind any of the field!)

Afterwards I heard that this doubleheader prompted new rules to be adapted regarding allowing in more fans than seats -- turns out there were multiple (or maybe that's an exaggeration, but that's what I heard) fans who had heart attacks in the stands, and there was difficulty getting them help.

As for what happened on the field, I have no memory!

--- of course any game with Mickey Mantle was memorable. He had a swing that was awesome.

---saw a Friday twi-light-night doubleheader (remember those?) where the second game went 18 innings. 27 innings of baseball for the price of 9!

---and one I saw on television, much more recently, the game where Derek Jeter dived into the stands to catch a ball -- it was actually scary to see, as it looked like he would be lucky to even survive such a thing, never mind catch the ball. But he did -- just had a few facial scrapes. The Yankees won the game, it was a back and forth affair and a lot of runs scored, don't remember who they played -- but when it ended, Michael Kay exclaimed, "this is the best baseball game you will ever see!"

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-30-2014 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
In post #53 of this thread I mentioned the most memorable game I ever saw on TV. This post is about the most memorable game I ever attended.

It was in July of either 1965 or '66 at D.C. Stadium (later RFK). It was a day game and the temperature was above 100 degrees. Mickey Mantle was in the process of hitting 8 home runs in 6 games which I think was a record at the time. We were in the front row along the rightfield line and a security guard was sitting where the ballboy would be stationed in today's game. Each time Mantle came to bat the security guard complained because they didn't pitch around him when he was hot. He complained even louder after each of the two dingers Mantle hit that day. But most of the offense came from the Senators. Frank Howard hit a monster home run and one or two other Senators homered as they beat Whitey Ford like a drum and won the game 10 to 4.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 AM

79 posts, read 291,928 times
Best game I've been to was Sept. 14, 1977, Yankees-Red Sox at the Stadium.

Seemed like he Sox RH sluggers kept hitting 400 foot+ flyouts to left center, Yaz lined a shot off the pitcher's hip with two out, 2 and 3d for an out (following on a bases loaded 1-2-3 DP), Reggie made two great catches (that's not a typo) and then hit a game-winning 2 run homer in the 9th.

See: September 14, 1977 Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees Box Score and Play by Play | Baseball-Reference.com

Maybe it was 'cause I was just 15, or because winning was new then to Yankee fans my age, but I remember that better, and the crowd seemed louder, than even at some of the great games from the late 90's+ dynasty. After he retired, I heard Reggie tell an interviewer that was his favorite game (though the way he remembered it, the Yanks were down 1-0 when he won it.)

Old 11-08-2014, 02:42 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK8 View Post
Best game I've been to was Sept. 14, 1977, Yankees-Red Sox at the Stadium.

Seemed like he Sox RH sluggers kept hitting 400 foot+ flyouts to left center,
That's why it was nicknamed Death Valley. For many years it was 461' to straightaway center and 457' to left-center. During one stretch in his career DiMaggio hit so many flyouts and extra-base hits into that area that some people thought he might have hit 75 home runs in a season playing for another club.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
October 2011. Brewers eliminated the Arizona Diamondbacks coming off of Nyjer Morgan's walk off single to score Carlos Gomez. I was a freshman at the time. I listened to Bob Uecker's call on the radio. It was a thriller for me. It makes me cry every time I hear that call.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
October 2011. Brewers eliminated the Arizona Diamondbacks coming off of Nyjer Morgan's walk off single to score Carlos Gomez. I was a freshman at the time. I listened to Bob Uecker's call on the radio. It was a thriller for me. It makes me cry every time I hear that call.
What about Nyjer's multiple "F*** Yeah!"'s from that game? Makes me smile every time I think about it.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:48 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,251 times
The most memorable game I ever watched, was when I was a Kid. I loved the Oakland A's, Ricky Henderson lived down the street from my parents, and at the time he was just a stud. 1988 Game one of the World Series. Dennis Eckersley is pitching, that year he was invincible, and was on the mound in the ninth, with the lead. The A's were about to take game 1, when Tommy Lasorda had Kirk Gibson pinch hit. I think that was his only at bat in the series, he was a broken man, beat up, limping, it was almost a joke seeing him limp to the plate, with Eckersley on the mound. Unfortunately, in hindsight, I'm sure Eckersley thought the same, serving him up the pitch that he hit for a two run walk off.....A's never recovered from that one.....

I can still remember how sad and shocked I was, watching Gibson fist pumping as he painfully ran the bases....

Old 11-14-2014, 01:55 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
My first game @ Dodger Stadium turned out to be a 12 inning game in the rain followed by Hanley Ramirez hitting a walk off 3 run home run. Then 3 days later saw my 2nd walk off hit in 4 days at Dodger Stadium against the Angels.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 PM

298 posts, read 299,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
For live games it would have to be this one:
Coco Crisp and James Shields ignite brawl in Boston - YouTube

Always a good time when the Red Sox and (Devil) Rays get together.

For televised games, hard to argue with game 4 of the '04 world series, which changed the landscape of Red Sox Nation. A strong case could also be made for the Varitek-Arod glove-to-the-face game earlier that season, which helped set the tone.

Three great ones. I'll give Crisp credit for sweetly dodging that haymaker from Shields. Besides that, he made a fool out of himself that day with his dirty play. His selfishness did for the Rays what the A-Rod fight did for the Red Sox. I know the Sox are glad Gomes is on their side now.

Greatest game I ever saw was simply the greatest regular season game ever played....Rays game 162. Everyone other game in the history of the MLB (so far) is competing for second place.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:20 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,422 times
game 7 of the world series 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball