Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 08:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5z-vMNoKWc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:29 PM

73,062 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Two big moments.

Probably the last time crowds ever got to storm the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUJMQu0mws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8SBJzOEcyU

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,361 times
2012 NLCS Game 7. I call it The Scutaro Game.

This was my first postseason game ever at AT&T Park. With Cain starting, I honestly remember thinking it wasn't in doubt at all. That, and the fact that the Cards' offense had gone almost totally silent for the previous two games in St. Louis and SF, to force this deciding game.

I was in the upper level about 2/3 of the way down the first baseline. Things started as expected and the outcome was pretty much assured by the seventh inning or so. Giants in a laugher of a shutout. What I remember worrying about were the clouds pushing in over my shoulder. They weren't fog. They were rain clouds. I wanted no shortened game. No excuses. No break in the momentum going into the World Series. This playoff run had been too perfect to that point.

By the bottom of the eighth, the drops started falling. A very few people headed for cover in the concourse. My friends and I used our orange Rally Rags as cover and stayed put, standing, as we had been since the traditional playing of "Lights" by Journey to start the at-bat.

It really started dumping. I got the sense the umps were hurrying things along. They wanted all 27 outs to happen in this 9-0 blowout. It was the kind of rain you don't ever see in SF--that heavy downpour stuff, with crazy wind. There were puddles in the infield. Romo came in with a couple of guys on to face Matt Holliday with two outs. Romo forced a lazy pop-up to second that Scutaro, who had had a great game offensively and defensively, after being previously injured by a dirty Holliday slide, fittingly snared.

He stood there, arms raised, as he was mobbed by teammates and pelted with torrential rain. We stood and watched, too, in the pouring rain, for 20 minutes, as the grounds crew tried to quickly construct the platform for the trophy presentation. We didn't care.

The Giants won The Pennant. The Giants won The Pennant. The Giants won The Pennant.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:23 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,714,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My most memorable game was Baltimore Orioles vs NY Yankees, 09 August, 1957, in Baltimore's long-gone Memorial Stadium.

O's won 4-3 on the strength of Bob Nieman's bases loaded triple in the bottom of the 6th, off of legendary Whitey Ford, who got the loss. Bob Nieman was one of those huge, hulking guys, a slow runner, and he was tagged out, standing straight up and coming to a halt, as he huffed and puffed his way towards second base, but the 3 runs had already scored.

It was my first MLB game and is was awesome, with 27,000 in attendance. I was 9 years old.

I got to see Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Tony Kubek, Elston Howard, Enos Slaughter, Moose Skowron, Hank Bauer, Casey Stengel, Paul Richards, Gus Triandos, Willie Miranda, Bob Boyd, and many more.

After the game my father and I plus a bunch of his pals went out for crabcakes and beer, getting home very late.

The entire game was played in just 2:07.
I went to one lifetime game at Memorial stadium, probably circa 1978, it was the loudest place i had ever been, me and the family had seats directly behind home plate on the first level, but pretty far back from the field, under the overhang. It was Yanks at Balto, it wasn't my first MLB game, but it was pretty close.

One memorable game i attended was at Yankee Stadium in the 1970s, it was bat day (remember those?) and it was the CALIFORNIA Angels in town. Yanks were down 8-0 heading into the 9th, so obviously we all left before the 9th. Took us forever to get home, but when we did, the game was in extra innings and we watched the end on TV!, the Yanks had scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game (i think they lost in the 11th?) and we were none too happy for leaving. That was the last sporting event i ever left early, i always stay because you never want to leave a memorable game like that.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:12 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,330,555 times
I've only been to seven Texas Rangers games in my life, they are 5-2 in those games. They've had a walkoff hit or two with me in attendance but my favorite moment was actually in a game that we ended up losing last season against the Astros. We trailed 5-2 but added a run in a couple different innings. Then Michael Choice tied the game on a solo shot to left center in the bottom of the ninth inning. The stadium went crazy. However, we did end up losing in the 10th.

Hope to attend more games now that I'm in North Texas.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,173,406 times
"Phillies Fans Chase Burt Hooton from the Mound."

I was at this game... and it was a BLAST!!!! This was just after my senior year of high school - I'd graduated in June and attended about 50 home games that season.

Not only was it loud, the Vet (Veterans Stadium) was literally rockin. Being one of the old Octagons - concentric rings of concrete seating rows, the fans used to not only yell, but also to stamp their feet in unison. Each time they did, the whole place would vibrate and a booming noise could be hear. When I think about it these days, I am sometimes surprised the resonance did not knock the place down.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/818443-the-best-fan-moments-in-sports/page/10

"I turned and kicked the rubber real hard," Hooton recalled. "Everybody seemed to be watching. A few fans started yelling, then more picked it up and it just started to go around. It got noisier than those jets at Shea Stadium except it went on and on with every pitch. I lost my cool."

Hooton was so rattled that he walked Christenson to load the bases. Then as the crescendo of hoots from 63,000 Philly fans intensified, the flustered hurler walked the next three batters before he was taken out of the game (which the Dodgers won, 6-5).

"I lost my composure and never got it back," Hooton admitted. "The noise from those fans was unbelievable."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-25-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Daniel Nava, June 12, 2010. This kid is everything right about baseball, odds against the guy his whole career and he still makes the team eventually. Hard work, not steroids/ego/big contract got the kid the job and he does it well!

Here is his first Major League at bat.......Grand Slam Homerun at Fenway on his first pitch in the majors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf4k8hr1sv4

Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 AM

298 posts, read 299,828 times
Kid? He entered the MLB at what should have been his free agent age of 27.

At age 32 he has a grand total of 346 hits and 23 home runs.

I would not advise aspiring ballplayer to follow Nava's "hard work" approach to the game of baseball.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iL_W9MucEk

Honorable mention:

Clemens strikes out 20 Mariners.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o1YnMQG6pY

Old 04-25-2015, 05:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,330,555 times
If we didn't have to be there for the game, then here are some of my favorite Texas Rangers memories:

2007: Rangers score 30 runs against Baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwocr4UpBW8

2008: Marlon Byrd hits a walk off grand slam to beat those damned Yankees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-eX1UFOjW0

2012: Josh Hamilton hits four home runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqQge1ycD8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball