Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because being down 0-2 headed home is a lot different if you are 2 games away from elimination. The reds probably have given up like the Twins did last night
I guess the Tampa Bay Rays forgot to read that memo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Gee, the Phillies and Yankees lost 65 and 67 games respectively in 2010, approximately 40% of their games. I would think teams that aren't being challenged would lose a lot fewer games than that.

Anything can happen in MLB's playoffs; that's been shown time and time again, from the 2006 Cardinals (83-78) winning three postseason series and a World Series and the 1973 Mets (82-79) winning the NLCS and extending the World Series to 7 games to the 2001 Mariners (116-46) losing in the ALCS. If a team is winning best-of-5 or best-of-7 series regularly, despite the strong possibility of being upset, maybe you need to tip their cap to them.

For whatever it is worth, there was only a 7 game difference in regular season record among the 8 MLB playoff teams this season (the Phillies' 97-65 record being the best and the Rangers' 90-72 record being the worst). This is the smallest gap between MLB playoff teams since the LDS was first played in both leagues in 1995. Additionally, unlike many seasons, the teams with the top 4 records in both leagues made the playoffs this year.

I guess what I'm really is the PATH to the championship is a lot easier in baseball

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I guess the Tampa Bay Rays forgot to read that memo.

In the case of Rangers/Rays, I can't explain. I do know if the Rangers lose the series the manager should be fired. You can't come home with a 2-0 lead and then lose 3 straight

Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
you play 162 games to qualify and only 8 teams in the entire league make the playoffs ....... seems like the path is pretty difficult and all the "non-deserving" teams are weeded out before the playoffs even begin

once started, do you really think the twins and yankees would go 7 games just because it's a 7 game series?

how about having a team be good enough to take these teams to 5 games before we start crying about not going to 7

what would happen is the yankees would still win in 4 or 5 games while their opponents would go onto a 6 or 7 game series, tiring out even more before moving onto the LCS

taking this year for an a example, how does it make it easier for the yankees to have their next opponents beat each other up for an extra couple of games while they easily dispatch their 1st round foe

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm really is the PATH to the championship is a lot easier in baseball
How many times are you going to change your story?

Quote:
In the case of Rangers/Rays, I can't explain. I do know if the Rangers lose the series the manager should be fired. You can't come home with a 2-0 lead and then lose 3 straight
What should the manager have done differently? Did he use the wrong starting pitcher? Did he leave a pitcher in too long? Did he use the wrong reliever at the wrong time? Did he make out the wrong line up? Not use his pinch hitters correctly? Not use a defensive sub that he should have?

How does this come down on the manager?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I think there should be a loser's bracket to give us, er... I mean unfortunate teams a second chance.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How many times are you going to change your story?

What should the manager have done differently? Did he use the wrong starting pitcher? Did he leave a pitcher in too long? Did he use the wrong reliever at the wrong time? Did he make out the wrong line up? Not use his pinch hitters correctly? Not use a defensive sub that he should have?

How does this come down on the manager?

Who else would you fire if you are the owner of the Rangers? You can't fire the players because you won't have ateam so it obvious that you have to get rid of the manager. When you lose 3 straight in a playoff series after being up 2-0 someone has to go

Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Why?

losses happen and sometimes you just get flat out beat ...... what would you attribute it to?

The rangers top 3 starters all did well but didn't eat a lot of innings

Do you keep them in to stretch out the game and reserve some of your pen?

Do you pull them before they hit the wall and rely on your pen?

In game 1 they pitched O'Day for an out, Oliver for 2 and then feliz for an inning .... feliz looked a little shaky, but got the job done

Game 2 they shut them out in what is probably their best pitching matchup of the series (Wilson v Shields) .... wilson only went 6.1, but O'Day pitched an inning and Oliver pitched 2.1 and looked pretty good

Game 3 I think you could argue to keep Lewis in a little longer .... although shaky he completed 5 and was at 85 pitches ... in the season he normally went 6 1/3 ....... they were holding a 1 run lead and the pen didn't do a good job

Holland & Ogando came in for an inning and gave up a run and a walk on 2 hits ...... they went to Oliver again (bad idea IMO) who got them through the 7th pretty easily and then ran into trouble in the 8th giving up 2 runs ..... O'Day pitched another out in a situational matchup and then feliz came in with 2 outs in the inning and gave up 2 hits (one being a solo HR) .... then Nippert comes in and gives up 2 runs in the 9th

In converse the rays pen was stellar pitching 3 innings and only giving up 1 hit - a solo HR

You could probably nitpick the managing a little in that game - but not a lot ...... the rays pen performed while the rangers didn't

Game 4 was a lot like game 2 .... just a bad matchup as the rays really don't have a strong #4 or #5 pitcher .... their starter pitched 4 and gave up 3 runs, their long reliever Holland went 4 and gave up 2 runs

The rays pen was again stellar going 4 innings of 1 hit ball

So it seems if the starters can go 6-7 innings the rangers are positioned to win ... if not it seemingly favors the rays who have been getting better work out of their pen (although the thought of seeing chad qualls in a tight game should scare them)

with price v lee tonight this one could very well come down to the pens and at this point I think all you can do is play the right matchups and hope the players do their jobs

it isn't unprecedented to lose after being up 2-0 though

Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Why?

losses happen and sometimes you just get flat out beat ...... what would you attribute it to?

The rangers top 3 starters all did well but didn't eat a lot of innings

Do you keep them in to stretch out the game and reserve some of your pen?

Do you pull them before they hit the wall and rely on your pen?

In game 1 they pitched O'Day for an out, Oliver for 2 and then feliz for an inning .... feliz looked a little shaky, but got the job done

Game 2 they shut them out in what is probably their best pitching matchup of the series (Wilson v Shields) .... wilson only went 6.1, but O'Day pitched an inning and Oliver pitched 2.1 and looked pretty good

Game 3 I think you could argue to keep Lewis in a little longer .... although shaky he completed 5 and was at 85 pitches ... in the season he normally went 6 1/3 ....... they were holding a 1 run lead and the pen didn't do a good job

Holland & Ogando came in for an inning and gave up a run and a walk on 2 hits ...... they went to Oliver again (bad idea IMO) who got them through the 7th pretty easily and then ran into trouble in the 8th giving up 2 runs ..... O'Day pitched another out in a situational matchup and then feliz came in with 2 outs in the inning and gave up 2 hits (one being a solo HR) .... then Nippert comes in and gives up 2 runs in the 9th

In converse the rays pen was stellar pitching 3 innings and only giving up 1 hit - a solo HR

You could probably nitpick the managing a little in that game - but not a lot ...... the rays pen performed while the rangers didn't

Game 4 was a lot like game 2 .... just a bad matchup as the rays really don't have a strong #4 or #5 pitcher .... their starter pitched 4 and gave up 3 runs, their long reliever Holland went 4 and gave up 2 runs

The rays pen was again stellar going 4 innings of 1 hit ball

So it seems if the starters can go 6-7 innings the rangers are positioned to win ... if not it seemingly favors the rays who have been getting better work out of their pen (although the thought of seeing chad qualls in a tight game should scare them)

with price v lee tonight this one could very well come down to the pens and at this point I think all you can do is play the right matchups and hope the players do their jobs

it isn't unprecedented to lose after being up 2-0 though

It's always unacceptable when you are up 2-0 and going home and lose the series. That's not acceptable in MLB, MBA, or the NHL

Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Who else would you fire if you are the owner of the Rangers? You can't fire the players because you won't have ateam so it obvious that you have to get rid of the manager. When you lose 3 straight in a playoff series after being up 2-0 someone has to go
Dude, for real. This is all schtick right? I mean it has got to be.

If someone has to go I'd get rid of all the idiots who believe that 'someone has to go'. They provide absolutely nothing positive at all and display a complete lack of understanding of baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball