Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I would say that stats showing that that Yankees don't have 'way more' sellouts than any other team are consequential when someone claims that the Yankees have 'way more' sellouts than any other team
You are correct, however, it does not change my answer though, these stats mean nothing, they're only significant for the local Philly market.

Quote:
Don't have the national fan base to support what?
Attendance/marketing outside Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Because they were playing the no fan having Tampa Rays
Thanks for making my point. . . you are correct about 'the no fan Tampa Ray' however, Tropicana field gets packed when the Yankees are in town.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Thanks for making my point. . . you are correct about 'the no fan Tampa Ray' however, Tropicana field gets packed when the Yankees are in town.
So do Phillies spring training games and every other game they play.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
they're only significant for the local Philly market.
You are aware that Philadelphia is the 4th largest media market in the entire United States?

ProAdvance Event Resource Guide: Top 50 Media Markets in the U.S.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
You are aware that Philadelphia is the 4th largest media market in the entire United States?

ProAdvance Event Resource Guide: Top 50 Media Markets in the U.S.
Yes, indeedy . . .and it is a city rich in history, however, the original premise of this argument doesn't change the fact that the Phillies had the lowest World Series tv ratings in MLB history. It's really sad.

Look at the current WS, it has dropped 26% in tv ratings, I am not being critical of it, just realistic, I'd like to see more leverage amongst teams, however, baseballs economics doesn't allow for this.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
2010 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

The Yankees were #1 in total home attendance this year.
Philadelphia was #2

The Phillies were #1 in capacity this year
The Yankees were #7

The Yankees were #1 in road attendance this year
The Phillies were #3

The Yankees were #1 in total attendance this year
The Philles were #2

Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
As a former New York Metropolitan area resident I can tell you that both the Yankees and Mets have a large number of bandwagon fans. Ready to jump on of off the bandwagon depending on the way the team is playing in any particular year.

Back in the 70's-80 when the Yankees were going through some lackluster years you could watch a game on TV and notice that many Yankee fans came to the game disguised as empty seats.

With the Yankees winning the past few years they have no problem filling most seats with real people.
The same holds true for the Mets when they win fans show up and when they don't they are probably over at Yankee stadium.

NY area fans just love winners and as long as they are winning they will brag about it all day long. When they start losing they become pretty quiet.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As a former New York Metropolitan area resident I can tell you that both the Yankees and Mets have a large number of bandwagon fans. Ready to jump on of off the bandwagon depending on the way the team is playing in any particular year.

Back in the 70's-80 when the Yankees were going through some lackluster years you could watch a game on TV and notice that many Yankee fans came to the game disguised as empty seats.

With the Yankees winning the past few years they have no problem filling most seats with real people.
The same holds true for the Mets when they win fans show up and when they don't they are probably over at Yankee stadium.

NY area fans just love winners and as long as they are winning they will brag about it all day long. When they start losing they become pretty quiet.
It wasn't just the Yankees, baseball in general was lackluster thus had a draught for several years. However, since 1995 Yankees have drawn over 3 million every season, in the last couple of years the Mets and the Yankees have drawn over 7 million fans thereof, even with the Mets in the dumps. That is a staggering number.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
2010 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

The Yankees were #1 in total home attendance this year.
Philadelphia was #2

The Phillies were #1 in capacity this year
The Yankees were #7

The Yankees were #1 in road attendance this year
The Phillies were #3

The Yankees were #1 in total attendance this year
The Philles were #2
Thanks for the stats, Phillies are obviously putting up numbers.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Your last paragraph is ridiculous. Are there fans of any team that are bragging about theirs when they are losing badly? I'm always hearing the Pirate and Oriole fans bragging about how good their teams are (sarcasm) and as far as winners go, i'm pretty sure it's not just the NY area fans that feel this way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball