Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The Yankees are just one team that plays within the set rules of MLB. Do I think the system is flawed? Hell yes!!! I do think there should be minimum and maximum caps and no revenue sharing.

I agree that they are just plaing within the rules of the system. I'm no hypocrite, if the Indians could spend like that I'd love it.

Unfortunately, I think that in the long run it's only going to hurt the appeal of MLB. As salaries continue to increase and the smaller teams continue to lose their young talent as soon as their first contract comes up more and more fans are going to stop coming out to the ballpark which creates a vicious cycle. The team can't re-sign anyone good because fans won't spend money on tickets and merchandise and vice versa. Catch 22.

Eventually, it's gonna be a 10 team league and no one outside of NYC, Chicago, LA and a few other places is going to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I agree that they are just plaing within the rules of the system. I'm no hypocrite, if the Indians could spend like that I'd love it.

Unfortunately, I think that in the long run it's only going to hurt the appeal of MLB. As salaries continue to increase and the smaller teams continue to lose their young talent as soon as their first contract comes up more and more fans are going to stop coming out to the ballpark which creates a vicious cycle. The team can't re-sign anyone good because fans won't spend money on tickets and merchandise and vice versa. Catch 22.

Eventually, it's gonna be a 10 team league and no one outside of NYC, Chicago, LA and a few other places is going to care.
I 100% agree. You might be surprised that I do agree even though my team is the biggest spender but I am a big fan of the small market teams. I am thrilled that teams like Minnesota and Tampa are as competitive as they are but I also believe that there has to be a hard cap so teams can't endlessly spend instead of a penalty for spending over the cap. I also think that if teams want to continue to exist, they should have to try to be competitive and not just hoard revenue sharing $$$. That's why I believe in minimum and max spending with no revenue sharing money. Why should a team that exists but barely tries to be competitive, be the recipient of revenue sharing dollars? The playing field has to be leveled and not all will like it but that will bring it back to its greatness.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I 100% agree. You might be surprised that I do agree even though my team is the biggest spender but I am a big fan of the small market teams. I am thrilled that teams like Minnesota and Tampa are as competitive as they are but I also believe that there has to be a hard cap so teams can't endlessly spend instead of a penalty for spending over the cap. I also think that if teams want to continue to exist, they should have to try to be competitive and not just hoard revenue sharing $$$. That's why I believe in minimum and max spending with no revenue sharing money. Why should a team that exists but barely tries to be competitive, be the recipient of revenue sharing dollars? The playing field has to be leveled and not all will like it but that will bring it back to its greatness.

Minnesota has done a fantastic job drafting and that is a big reason they have been able to at least stay in the hunt the past few years and I've been loving that Tampa has hung in there with Boston and NY but I'll be very suprised if they can sustain their run. As soon as their good players play out their current contracts they will be in trouble.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Minnesota has done a fantastic job drafting and that is a big reason they have been able to at least stay in the hunt the past few years and I've been loving that Tampa has hung in there with Boston and NY but I'll be very suprised if they can sustain their run. As soon as their good players play out their current contracts they will be in trouble.
Alot of teams are getting better at drafting and developing. They're also not rushing players to the majors as fast. Even a team like the Yankees who everyone believes is just a free agent team, is actually an organization loaded with minor league talent especially at the catcher position. A team like Tampa should be fine as long as they hold on to their pitching and keep developing their outfielders to replace the outgoing ones.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I hate the Yankees, but this isn't what happened.

Yes, the Rangers won, but not because the Yankees didn't play hard or because the Rangers are better humans.
In the playoffs in any sport the best team doesn't win. The team that plays the best does. The Rangers crested at just the right time of the season. The Yankees just didn't have championship caliber pitching during the playoffs.

I give the Rangers their props for playing great September and October baseball.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I doubt that very seriously. I go to 40 or 50 games each season, including game six of the World Series last year. That was the one the Yankees "bought" like they do every year in your mind. Except that they've only won that one in the last ten years.
I find it ironic that so many people hate the Yankees. The goal of any professional sport team is to win championships. But the Yankees are one of the few franchises that are totally committed to winning a championship EVERY YEAR. Most just talk the talk.

Also from a business standpoint the objective is to make as much money as possible. Why hate the Yankees because the play in the biggest market in the country, own their own sport network and have a great stadium that generates a terrific revenue stream? The Yankees have set a standard of running a modern sports franchise the only a handful of teams can match.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
the Yanks lost because they lacked a #2 pitcher,

did the Rangers buy there way in with the acquisition of Lee in July?
Exactly!

The undeniable fact of the matter is in the era of free agent baseball if you are not willing to go out and spend money for key players you are NOT going to be competitive.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Tom Glavine was in the Braves organization from 1984 through 2002

John Smoltz played his entire major league career with Atlanta prior to 2009

Maddux, of course, was signed by the Braves in 1992
Derek Jeter. and Jorge Posada have been with the Yankees organization their entire careers. Andy Petite spend one seaon with the Houston Astros but other than he spend his entre career with the Yankees.

So what's your point?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Derek Jeter. and Jorge Posada have been with the Yankees organization their entire careers. Andy Petite spend one seaon with the Houston Astros but other than he spend his entre career with the Yankees.

So what's your point?
Quote:
I envied the Braves staff when they had Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux but didn't hate them because they had talent. I also didn't say they bought their team when all three of these guys were bought and not brought up through the organization.
I was responding to this.

What was YOUR point?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As a former New York Metropolitan area resident I can tell you that both the Yankees and Mets have a large number of bandwagon fans. Ready to jump on of off the bandwagon depending on the way the team is playing in any particular year.

Back in the 70's-80 when the Yankees were going through some lackluster years you could watch a game on TV and notice that many Yankee fans came to the game disguised as empty seats.

With the Yankees winning the past few years they have no problem filling most seats with real people.
The same holds true for the Mets when they win fans show up and when they don't they are probably over at Yankee stadium.

NY area fans just love winners and as long as they are winning they will brag about it all day long. When they start losing they become pretty quiet.
Actually the lackluster years for the Yankees were the late 1960's and early 1970's. I know because I was growing up as kid during that time in New York. The Yankees lost the World Series in 1976, won the World Series in 1977 (Reggie’s three dingers against the Dodgers, and 1978. In the early 1980's the Yankees lost the ALCS in 1980 and lost the World Series in 1981. From 1982 to 1989 the Yankees never won fewer 79 games. They were good just not good enough. From 1989 to 1995 they fell into a black hole. Then came the current era. It's amazing in the past 15 years the Yankees have only missed the playoffs once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball