Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Similar to the way they overpayed for Rowand. Not taking into account his numbers were inflated playing in that bandbox in Philadelphia. Never did understand that move, and of course now the Giants are looking to dump Aaron..

Sabean's not going to make that kind of mistake again with Werth.
LMAO

Werth is a much different (better!) type of player than Rowand was.

wRC+ and WAR prior to becoming a free agent
Rowand
136, 5.4
96, 3.8
92, 1.2
131, 5.6
Career: 104 wRC+

Werth
132, 3.2
134, 5.1
135, 4.9
150, 5.0
Career: 129 wRC+

wRC+ compares the players' offensive production to the league average while adjusting for home park. 100 is average. Greater than 100 is better than average. Below 100 is below average. You can see that Werth is a consistently better than average hitter. Rowand wasn't. He was coming off of a fluke season and Sabean overpaid for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Twitter / Bob Dutton: #Royals just sent OF David ...

Quote:
#Royals just sent OF David DeJesus to Oakland for RHP Vin Mazzaro and LHP Justin Marks.
AKA: More evidence that Billy Beane is smarter than Dayton Moore

David DeJesus is a very underrated player who can be counted upon to put up between 2.5 and 4.0 WAR a season. He's a better than average defender who gets on base, has a bit of power and speed. He's set to make $6 million this year and is a free agent after the season-well below his expected contribution.

With DeJesus being a free agent it made a lot of sense for the Royals to move him. But they just traded one of their most valuable players for:

Vin Mazzaro
Mazzaro is young and cheap. He's not eligible for an arbitration raise for another two years. That's the good. Other than that...he's average at the most optimistic.

He doesn't strike people out
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/5231_P_season_mini_1_20101003.png (broken link)

He doesn't have great control
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/5231_P_season_mini_2_20101003.png (broken link)

He doesn't prevent home runs or get a lot of ground balls
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/5231_P_season_mini_4_20101003.png (broken link)http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/5231_P_season_mini_9_20101003.png (broken link)

Unless Justin Marks is something special (he's only pitched 130 pro innings and those were all below AA. ie against a bunch of guys who'll never be major leaguers) this is a clear loss for Moore. He should have got a lot more.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Similar to the way they overpayed for Rowand. Not taking into account his numbers were inflated playing in that bandbox in Philadelphia. Never did understand that move, and of course now the Giants are looking to dump Aaron..

Sabean's not going to make that kind of mistake again with Werth.
Come on man.... seriously?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I'm hearing rumblings about the Phils being interested in Jermaine Dye....wouldn't be a bad pickup for a RH bat to replace Werth.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'm hearing rumblings about the Phils being interested in Jermaine Dye....wouldn't be a bad pickup for a RH bat to replace Werth.
I think Dye must have had his ego bruised last year as he sat available all season long and noone picked him up. I remember reading he was contacted by a lot of teams, but he wanted significantly more money than they were willing to offer.

I will be interested to see how he does when/if he comes back. Is there another example of a mid 30s player who sat out a year for reasons other than injury to compare his potential production too? I can't remember something like this happening, but I could easily be missing someone. Who knows if he stayed in shape, was taking reps in the cage or other various activities to keep his game sharp.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Are you serious? Replace one of the best OF in the game/solid hitter for a old player that wasn't even in the league last year? I really wonder wtf some people are talking about.....

Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Come on man.... seriously?
Seriously what? Werth is going to command big money out there. The kind of dollars he's not worth considering his numbers would be significantly reduced playing in AT&T Park.

Sabean has already made it clear the Giants are not interested in him at the price he will want. Could be posturing, but I doubt it. The Giants just won a WS without any real stars among their position players.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Seriously what? Werth is going to command big money out there. The kind of dollars he's not worth considering his numbers would be significantly reduced playing in AT&T Park.
His value doesn't really decrease based on the park.

Bowman's Blog: Braves acquire Dan Uggla

Quote:
The Braves have landed All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla from the Marlins in exchange for Omar Infante and left-handed reliever Mike Dunn.
Curious trade for the Marlins. Scratch that. Great trade for the Braves. Uggla can play 2nd next year (which was a problem for the Braves in the playoffs in anyone remembers) or 3rd if Chipper can't come back. He can also take over at 3rd in 2011.

Projected 2011 WAR
Uggla 4.0

Infante 2.0
Dunn .5

Uggla is expected to provide $18 million dollars in value next year (at $4.5 mil per WAR) while costing around $12 million. That's $6 million in surplus value

Infante would provide $9 million and Dunn $3 million. Combined they'll make about $3 million. That's surplus of $9 million.

Uggla is arbitration eligible for the last time (I think, didn't check) this year. Infante is a free agent after this year. Neither of then will be adding more WAR to the equation. Dunn isn't likely to rack up much more either.

It appears that the Marlins could have done better.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
filihok:
Quote:
His value doesn't really decrease based on the park.
I believe Upton's point related to perceived values and consequent salaries. Those are certainly liquid relative to park aided or hindered performances.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Dan Uggla for Omar Infante and relief pitcher Mike Dunn:

Twice All-Star Uggla traded to Braves from Marlins | Reuters

Good deal for Braves, Marlin fans must be a little concerned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball