Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Instead of making a bunch of threads or cluttering up a bunch of random threads...

AL Gold Glove winners have been announced

Ichiro Suzuki ties OF record with 10th AL Gold Glove - ESPN

C Joe Mauer - MIN
1B Mark Texeria - NYY
2B Robinson Cano - NYY
3B Evan Longoria - TBR
SS Derek Jeter - NYY
OF Carl Crawford TBR
OF Franklin Gutierez - SEA
OF Ichiro Suzuki - SEA
P Mark Buehrle - CHW (clinched his on opening day (http://vimeo.com/10709160 - broken link))

Not the worst list ever. But...

Jeter certainly doesn't deserve it. Might as well have given Posado one as well. I would have voted for Elvis Andrus or Alexi Ramirez

How did 3 Yankee infielders win GG's?

The Yankees were 2nd to last in batting average against on ground balls with a .247. League average was .231

They were also 2nd to last in sOPS (which compares OPS to the league average) on groundballs given up with a 110.

What's that mean? Balls hit on the ground (balls the Yankees infield would be responsible for) ended up has hits more often against the Yankees than against any other team except the Chicago White Sox

So either, the voters were wowed by the Yankees' lack of errors (a small part of defense), or A-Rod was really terrible on defense while the other 3 guys were tearing it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
It has long been evident that the GG voters don't view the responsibility as something which demands research or much effort. The major criteria seems to be:
A) Who won last year or has a string of consecutive wins going?
B) Who suddenly hit surprisingly well while playing an up the middle position?
C) Who generated buzz based on appearances on ESPN Top Ten Plays.
D) What is everyone else saying?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 AM

69 posts, read 119,305 times
The NL Gold Glove awards come out later today. I hope David Wright gets the Gold Glove at third base since he made a strong turnaround from last season.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

NL Gold Glovers

Scott Rolen wins Gold Glove in third different uniform - ESPN

C: Yadier Molina - STL
1B: Albert Pujols - STL
2B: Brandon Phillips - CIN
3B: Scott Rolen - CIN
SS: Troy Tulowitzki - COL
OF: Michael Bourn - HOU
OF: Carlos Gonzalez - COL
OF: Shane Victorino - PHI
P: Bronson Arroyo - CIN

The most surprising thing. Jeter didn't win an NL Gold Glove as well

I find it next to impossible that Rolen is a better defender than Ryan Zimmerman.

Brendan Ryan is a fantastic defensive SS, but doesn't hit enough to win a GG . Tulo isn't a horrible choice though.

Chase Utley and Brandon Phillips are pretty close

Andres Torres is a pretty good defensive player to get left off as well

Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM

What they’re saying about Jeter’s Gold Glove | HardballTalk

Quote:
Lassus, commenter at Baseball Think Factory: “Maybe this this vote was a conspiracy by the managers and players to hamstring the Yankees with an even uglier Jeter contract.”
LOL

Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
I see you mentioned Andres Torres. He had a superior fld% to all 3 of the OF winners. He was robbed.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I see you mentioned Andres Torres. He had a superior fld% to all 3 of the OF winners. He was robbed.
Fielding percentage is absolutely the least of the reasons that he was robbed

Derek Jeter lead AL SS in fielding %

Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
We should make our predictions for the MVP and Cy Young awards. I think that the winners are obvious other than the AL Cy Young, so the challenge is to predict the order of the top five finishers in the voting...This isn't who you think should win, it is who you think will win.

After an appropriate amount of oraculating, it has come to me that:

NL MVP
1) Joey Votto
2) Carlos Gonzalez
3) Albert Pujols
4) Troy Tulowitzki
5) Roy Halladay

AL MVP
1) Josh Hamilton
2) Jose Bautista
3) Miguel Cabrera
4) Robinson Cano
5) Paul Konerko

NL Cy Young
1) Roy Halladay
2) Adam Wainwright
3) Josh Johnson
4) Ubaldo Jimenez
5) Brian Wilson

AL Cy Young
1) Felix Hernandez..taking a chance that the voters have become enlightened
2) Clay Buchholz
3) David Price
4) C.C. Sabathia
5) Cliff Lee

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It has long been evident that the GG voters don't view the responsibility as something which demands research or much effort. The major criteria seems to be:
A) Who won last year or has a string of consecutive wins going?
B) Who suddenly hit surprisingly well while playing an up the middle position?
C) Who generated buzz based on appearances on ESPN Top Ten Plays.
D) What is everyone else saying?
And offense

Splashing Pumpkins - a San Francisco Giants blog: Do Offensive Numbers have an Effect on Gold Glove Award Voting? (http://www.splashingpumpkins.com/2010/11/do-offensive-numbers-have-effect-on.html - broken link)

Quote:
I took the top Ultimate Zone Ratings at each position in each respective league. That’s seven players in each league, as there is no UZR for catchers and pitchers. I acknowledge the fact that UZR is not at all an ultimate indicator of defensive skills, but it does encompass many important factors - errors, range, arm. So I’m going to use it for this quick study.

But enough with that, let’s delve into their offense. I took the 2010 OPS+ of every player on these four lists. Then, I found the average OPS+ of each list. Like UZR, OPS+ is not an ultimate determination of offensive skill. But it does encompass a lot: namely, a hitter’s power, and their ability to get on base.

Here are the results:

AL UZR Team’s Average OPS+: 101.1
AL GG Team’s Average OPS+: 119

NL UZR Team’s Average OPS+: 104.1
NL GG Team’s Average OPS+: 125.7

So there you have it…as you can see from the data, there clearly appears to be a much higher OPS+ for Gold Glove winners than there is for actual UZR leaders (who are perceived by many to be the league’s best defenders)
So, from this study, it looks like offense is the more important factor when determining who will win a gold glove.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
I'm happy Carl Crawford Got a GG. He definitely deserved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball