Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So what's so bad about being a 'home town" rooter, .
Depends. If you move and become a home town rooter in your new place, your allegiance is questionable. In any case, your impartiality is questionable.

I have adopted home town teams along the way, but once I do it, I stick with it. I'm still, after many decades, a rooter of the St. Louis Cardinals, the Montreal Canadiens, LSU football and Kansas basketball, all acquired when I was living in those places. I can 't imagine ever changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,773 times
i wish the nats would pay 20 mil for him.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:34 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
as many of you know I'm a Red Sox fan and I can't stand the Yankees, but I have to give credit to Brian Cashman here, I expected the Yanks to offer Jeter 3/60 or 4/80, not 3/45 and if your not happy with that test the market. Cashman is doing a great job handling a difficult situation.

I'm pretty confident that Jeter wont be a 15 Million dollar player, unless you consider Orlando Cabrera a 14 million dollar player, but the Yanks print money and they can afford it.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
As a followup to my posting #24, there was this screaming headline on the back page of the Daily News yesterday: Will Jeter walk? The Yankee publicity machine is revving up into high gear.

Personally, I think it would be fascinating, if not actually hilarious, if a team like the Angels or Red Sox came out of nowhere and offered Jeter more than the Yanks say they're willing to spend.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
No Yankee has ever reached 3000 hits. If Jeter remains in NY for this season he will be the first.

I'm trying to imagine the scenario where NY or Jeter decide that contract concerns are more important than having the above take place. Both sides very much want Jeter in a Yankee uniform for at least 2011, both sides know that each side wants it as badly as the other, and both sides are seeing that desire on the other's part as their leverage to get a better deal, so both are in the bluffing stage at the moment.

The problem with the above is that should one side or the other suddenly call the other side's bluff, then someone will either have to carry out their threats or be made to look impotent.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Update! Update! Now all of a sudden Jeter is willing to consider an offer much less than his original demand. Great cooga-mooga...can there actually be a human being on this planet who didn't see this coming a mile away?

Wait until he signs that contract; the big splashy photo of Jeter and Steinbrenner hugging will make you want to gag.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Update! Update! Now all of a sudden Jeter is willing to consider an offer much less than his original demand. Great cooga-mooga...can there actually be a human being on this planet who didn't see this coming a mile away?

Wait until he signs that contract; the big splashy photo of Jeter and Steinbrenner hugging will make you want to gag.
I'm expecting 18-20 per year but we will see.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Actually, in terms of generating headlines (which is all the Yankees are really doing in November, a month when very little major league baseball is being played), the best possible outcome would be for Jeter to reject their offer and walk away. That would accomplish two major goals. One--it would take all the burden off the front office of signing a player whose best days are behind him, not yet to come. And two--it would create the opportunity for several weeks' worth of screaming and/or hand-wringing headlines.

Lance, I'm sure you don't want to look at it that way. But that's more real than those "negotiations" involving numbers like $18 or 45 million.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, in terms of generating headlines (which is all the Yankees are really doing in November, a month when very little major league baseball is being played), the best possible outcome would be for Jeter to reject their offer and walk away. That would accomplish two major goals. One--it would take all the burden off the front office of signing a player whose best days are behind him, not yet to come. And two--it would create the opportunity for several weeks' worth of screaming and/or hand-wringing headlines.

Lance, I'm sure you don't want to look at it that way. But that's more real than those "negotiations" involving numbers like $18 or 45 million.
Don't get me wrong, I would like to see him return and I do think this past year was a fluke and he does have a few good years left but the money he wants is absurd. Honestly I wish he would go home to his native Detroit and sign with them if he doesn't want to sign for a reasonable offer. I do think the Yankees will compromise and they need to also but if he leaves we will just bring in a cheaper, younger replacement or maybe move Arod back to SS and bring in a third baseman. Either way, we will be okay. I would like to see him finish his career in pinstripes and especially get the 3000 hits with us but we will see.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Well, you used the word "absurd." What isn't absurd when it comes to the contract demands of professional athletes these days? It's gotten to the point where people who haven't got two nickels to rub together will scream and yell about some athlete being offered less than $50 million. (And call him by his first name, into the bargain!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball