Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Spring Training (ST) Plans
I live in AZ and plan to visit ST in AZ. 2 20.00%
I live in FL and plan to visit ST in FL. 1 10.00%
I plan to travel to AZ for ST games. 1 10.00%
I plan to travel to FL for ST games. 0 0%
I've never been to ST but would like to some day. 4 40.00%
I've never been to ST and don't care to ever go. 0 0%
No opinion, don't care. 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Yaaaay....Spring Training is upon us. Here's a few points to ponder...

- The entire Spring Training Schedule is published today in the USA Today paper, and once a year I buy this paper just for that.

- Spring Training Websites

-- Official MLB Spring Training website is here.
-- The ESPN version is here.
-- The AZ Cactus League site is here.
-- The FL GrapeFruit League site is here.
-- Spring Training Magazine site is here.

I plan to head down to AZ from COLO SPGS to see some games.

What are YOUR spring training plans? Put answers in the poll.

Thanks for playing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thanks for playing.
Are there prizes for the winners?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Can't wait to see the new facility for the Dbacks and Rockies! Planning to make some west side games as well.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Actually, I'd have to answer "none of the above" in your poll, Mike.

I've been to spring training five times in the past 20 years. I went to Florida four times between 1990 and 2005, and to Arizona in 2008.

I really enjoyed Florida's sites. I spent quite a bit of time in the Clearwater, Sarasota and Lakeland areas, and saw games at six different stadiums. After moving to California from Ohio, I went to see the Indians in their new facility in Goodyear, AZ. The experience wasn't nearly as much fun as I had in Florida, so I haven't returned nor plan on going this year either.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, I'd have to answer "none of the above" in your poll, Mike.

I've been to spring training five times in the past 20 years. I went to Florida four times between 1990 and 2005, and to Arizona in 2008.

I really enjoyed Florida's sites. I spent quite a bit of time in the Clearwater, Sarasota and Lakeland areas, and saw games at five different stadiums. After moving to California from Ohio, I went to see the Indians in their new facility in Goodyear, AZ. The experience wasn't nearly as much fun as I had in Florida, so I haven't returned nor plan on going this year either.
I went to FL a few times over the years, when we lived in the DC area. It felt like such a luxury to sit there in the warm sun watching baseball while the DC area was shivering in the winter cold.

I'll be in AZ in a month, visiting several of the venues. We like the far western end of Phoenix, out near Peoria and Goodyear, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM

I have no problem with the Phoenix area, and having multiple stadiums nearby is really convenient.

I just disliked the Indians setup at Goodyear. I follow the minor leagues pretty closely, and have done so for nearly 50 years. I like seeing the minor league games, plus go to the morning drills during my ST visits. The Indians set up in Florida was great, very inviting and you got to see a lot of stuff close up.

The current set up in Goodyear is like watching baseball in a prison camp, so I'll just pass on the experience until they change their processes.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I grew up in Miami back when it was the ST home of the Baltimore Orioles. It was the only chance I had to attend any sort of ML games until I moved to the Bay Area when I was 23. As such, it was pretty cool. The stadium was decent, holding about 10,000, and featuring a centerfield 400 feet away with a 30 foot wall. Lou Brock, of all people, was the only player I ever saw clear that wall with a homerun.

During the season, it was the home of the Miami Marlins, Baltimore's A ball affiliate in the Florida State League. I got to see lots of future Oriole stars coming through. I remember being part of a press of kids trying to get autographs and I got one from Davey Johnson, who at the time was a minor league nobody, so I threw it away.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
this year i look forward to spring training down in florida watching the jays and kyle drabek along with brett lawrie, deck mcguire and that talented infielder they Signed as a non drafted free agent Montaous Walton, also the Yankees have a great team as well as the Tampa Bay Rays especially after adding two power hitters on the squad manny ramirez and the other guy!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
NewToCA - did you go to the Goodyear park in it's 1st year (2009)? ........ as my team doesn't train out here I have limited interest in doing much more than watching the games or some occasional morning work .... I know Goodyear (as many of the new ballparks) struggled in their first year with this, but are continuing to reshape everything from security, logistics, etc ..... last year I heard better things about access and I know this year they are trying to take it further

same deal with other newer facilities like camelback ranch

I really like spring training and the baseball scene in general out here (love the AZ Fall League) - I already have tickets to one game when my white sox friend comes out to visit .... will also catch a few on my own

probably won't make it out to the new d'backs facility this year though - i generally stick to the western parks (goodyear, glendale, surprise, maryvale, peoria) but may try and venture out to either phoenix muni or scottsdale stadium (haven't watch ST there yet)

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM

Yes, I was there on the first year of the operation. Hopefully things are significantly improved this coming spring season, I have a few posters on other sports forums who live in that area and go to the spring site and give feedback, so I'm interested in what they have to say about the Goodyear setup in comparison to the past.

Hopefully they finally get it right, I had planned to go to Arizona every spring after retirement. If they fix it, I'll resume that next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball