U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 AM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,203 posts, read 12,566,293 times

Advertisements

Been living in AZ goin' on 7 years now.....I think it's about time I attended. 2 ballparks by me.....Mariners & Brewers.

Could always head to Mesa and see the Cubbies et al.

Even though the games don't count, I would enjoy a hot dog and a brew in the tolerable sunshine of a Phoenix March, maybe get an autograph or three.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM

45 posts, read 64,677 times
I took a trip to Fla. to catch some spring training games a few years ago and it was a blast.It's a great way to spend a day,everybody is so laid back and the players are more accessable.I would like to get back and do it again,hopefully in the next few years.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:51 PM

13,873 posts, read 24,821,333 times
Always nice to see pitchers running wind sprints on the warning track while the game is being played, keeps in mind that they don't really count.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 PM

26,345 posts, read 86,797,126 times
Spring training as well as minor league regular season games are much more enjoyable (for me) than a trip to Dodger Stadium or Anaheim Stadium. Good seats with lots of leg room up close for a lot less money, no parking hassles, baseball quality close to the regular season majors.
I've been to Dodger Angel freeway series and also Angels in Palm Springs.

I've seen the Rochester Red Wings in Rochester and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox in COS. Very enjoyable.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM

23,572 posts, read 24,733,271 times
Lived in Daytona when the Expos had their spring training there and we would catch a few workouts and games, very enjoyable. Relaxed atmosphere meant the players would take time to chat with the fans most anytime you would try to engage them.

Andre Dawson, Bill Lee, Tim Wallach and Gary Carter were a few of those I remembered as being on the squad at that time. Could walk to the ballpark from my apartment and just driving by seemed an enjoyable experience when the games and workouts were going on.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 PM

4,576 posts, read 8,307,281 times
I go for atleast one week end of spring training. Its damn crowded usually, but the giants always have a good turn out of fans for spring.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM

945 posts, read 1,298,035 times
Planning on doing it this year. I live in Orlando so I might catch some Braves spring training games, even though I am a Rays fan!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 PM

11,501 posts, read 14,053,807 times
Yes.

Many years of going to Florida and traveling around the the different ballparks.

At one time we had been to every Spring Training ballpark in Florida and enjoyed it very much.

Players are more relaxed and willing to sign autographs, toss you signed baseballs etc.

We have tons of signed balls that were tossed to us by players, bats, jerseys etc also that you had no chance of getting out of Spring Training.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM

17,073 posts, read 22,422,339 times
Yes. Unfortunately the Colorado Rockies have moved their spring training camp facilities to Phoenix, they had been in Tucson for the last 18 years. I preferred Tucson as well; less traffic, friendlier people (seriously). Motel rates for a weekly stay was a little cheaper as well.

But Phoenix is ok though. Gonna get down there sometime next month, might get a room at one of the extended stays.

SunnyDays 90 is right. After and before the games the players are very good with their spare time regarding autographs, pictures with fans, etc. With the Rockies probably the best one who gives his time is Troy Tulowitzki.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 AM

9,093 posts, read 17,407,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Been living in AZ goin' on 7 years now.....I think it's about time I attended. 2 ballparks by me.....Mariners & Brewers.

Could always head to Mesa and see the Cubbies et al.

Even though the games don't count, I would enjoy a hot dog and a brew in the tolerable sunshine of a Phoenix March, maybe get an autograph or three.....
You definitely should .... each park will have it's own feel, depending on what you are looking for

I've been to Hohokam, but I really don't like the cubs, really don't like their fans and the stadium is probably one of the dumpiest in the cactus league ... if you are looking for that drunken party crowd atmosphere or a cubs fan, then go for it .... otherwise, save your gas & time

I personally really like going to games at Maryvale - the concessions are good (they even bring the stadium sauce down from WI) and the brewers fans are really laid back - usually some decent tailgating can be found and tickets tend to be less expensive ..... the park is nothing fancy, but overall a solid and nice complex

At peoria you can get a little better people watching though .... more girls in bikinis sunbathing on the berm the couple of times I've been there .... but overall, not my favorite park

If you are close to those 2, definitely think about surprise .... really nice stadium and free parking ... if you want to just grab a seat on the berm and keep costs low, you can definitely do it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball