Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Daniels, yes
Washington, not so much

.....and your issue with Wash is what? He wins too much? He is exactly what the Rangers have needed for some time. We do not need a pretentious a-hole like many mgrs are in baseball. You can rule and win without being a dicator or a slave driver. He is a joy to be around and a true gentleman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
.....and your issue with Wash is what? He wins too much? He is exactly what the Rangers have needed for some time. We do not need a pretentious a-hole like many mgrs are in baseball. You can rule and win without being a dicator or a slave driver. He is a joy to be around and a true gentleman
He makes terrible tactical decisionc.

His bullpen management is terrible. See last world series for exhibit A.

Deploying Vlad Guerrero in RF against the Giants.

He costs his team runs with his strategy.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
He makes terrible tactical decisionc.

His bullpen management is terrible. See last world series for exhibit A.

Deploying Vlad Guerrero in RF against the Giants.

He costs his team runs with his strategy.

He may not be the tactician you are looking for in a mgr, but you cannot argue with his results, compared to other Ranger mgrs in the past....He also has gotten his team to the big dance two years in a row....something that other Texas mgr's could only dream about

Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Hamilton's latest episode of drinking has some people rethinking resigning him
I am just tired of his religious comments every time he has fallen off the wagon

Josh Hamilton relapse: Show some compassion - latimes.com
this article plays the pity card in Hamilton's favor

Josh Hamilton reported relapse brings up more questions than answer for him and Texas Rangers - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN
this one is more objective (never thought I would say that about Fox)

writer discusses the reality of the cost factor vs possibility Hamilton might not deliver
that Hamilton had Kinsler trying to get him to leave and he wouldn't--that when his father in law backed out of being his "nanny" that Hamilton felt he didn't need someone to hold his hand...

well the Rangers went out on a limb for him--a pretty expensive limb that was expected to be more expensive if they wanted to sign him before he went to free agency...
now they might should reconsider that decision

Hamilton IS an alcoholic--I don't know what his situation is with therapy/counseling but he obviously does not have enough self-control to stay away from alcohol...
he is under tremendous stress right now because he knows he is walking a tight rope--
he is getting older, has had some injuries that have hurt his team
and people be honest--his injuries DID impare his hitting/throwing ability at the end of the season/post season
The Rangers have to pony up the money to cover having a full-time nanny to prevent him for going off the reservation...
take that person's money out of Hamilton's salary for gosh sakes...HE is the one with the problem...

And be honest about how long his career has to run at top $$$ performance with his history of injuries and lack of self-control...

Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
Alcoholism, like other addictions, is a lifelong battle. He'll never be 'recovered'. He probably has a ton of issues from this past season. I don't think he really got over that guy killing himself over the ball he threw into the stands. He blocked it out of his mind the way that athletes can do sometimes, but I don't think he really got over it. That and maybe the way the season ended in the World Series stung him a bit, too.

Who knows, who cares.

I like Hamilton. I think he's a decent guy. I think he just needs someone to kick him in the rear and set him straight, and I think Nolan Ryan's just the guy who can do that. I think Nolan Ryan might be the best thing that ever happened to the Rangers, and that's why I believe they will win a World Series title within the next five years. He will bring a good balance of compassion but accountability. He's not going to just fly off the handle and dump Hamilton but he's going to make it clear that he's not going to put up with his feeling sorry for himself either. This will get resolved.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
I never said he wasn't a "nice guy" but that is not the point

from my POV--Hamilton needs to be in pro-active therapy...maybe a real psychiatrist every other day
I am sure having that fan fall to his death did have significant effect on him and he is having many stressful issues to resolve...all of which could lead anyone w/similar history to relapse...but his baseball career is tied to having clean drug tests...

I just thought when I heard his father in law stepped down from the position as his "handler" after Narron left that problems were going to happen and probably quickly--
that would never be an appropriate spot for someone who is a family member to work in because of the conflict with personal relationships--maybe it seemed like good idea to immediate problem but I bet there was friction from the word go between Hamilton and his FIL--
Narron worked because he has terrific reputation as professional in Hamilton's sport/profession--he was not a peer--he was someone Hamilton could look up to personally and professionally--not just "hired gun" type of nanny

they should hire someone with some clinical experience IMO since the reason to have that person is directly tied to his emotional/addiction problems...
but Hamilton might resent having that type of person shadowing him all the time...

Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
...but Hamilton might resent having that type of person shadowing him all the time...
That's kind of the way I feel - as a former addict and fellow believer, I can attest to the fact that there's a certain inability (or unwillingness?) to receive help from secular sources. He would appreciate a guy who's going through the same battles with the same beliefs and is hanging on. That's the nature of Christians, in my experience.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's kind of the way I feel - as a former addict and fellow believer, I can attest to the fact that there's a certain inability (or unwillingness?) to receive help from secular sources. He would appreciate a guy who's going through the same battles with the same beliefs and is hanging on. That's the nature of Christians, in my experience.

I hope regardless of his Ranger career, he rights the ship, and sets things straight......for himself and his family

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I hope regardless of his Ranger career, he rights the ship, and sets things straight......for himself and his family

hope so too...but it's hard for me to root for a guy who has sex with someone in the bathroom of a bar-with his wife and kids at home...

Honestly I hope he gets the boot from the Rangers-maybe that will show him the light....there are 40,000 guys who would take his place in a minute...and like the other famous druggies who are dropping dead-he needs to be a man-

PS I'm a Rays fan...

Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
there are 40,000 guys who would take his place in a minute
Probably not 40,000 guys who can hit like he does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball