Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

In the '80's, before there was widespread awareness of sabermetric analysis, I used to win my Strat-O-Matic league nearly every year because I was the only one paying any attention to OBA and isolated power in our annual draft. I had Dwight Evans on my team nearly every year because he was the outstanding "stealth" player of that decade. As a consequence, I developed an affection for Evans which I still have, and I would like to see him enshrined.

Bill James explains at length why he supports me on this.

An open letter to the MLB Hall of Fame about Dwight Evans' rightful place in Cooperstown - Grantland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
On the flip side, he made the All Star team only 3 times in a 20 year career.

About his nearly 400 homers, Graig Nettles, Joe Carter, Andres Galarraga and Matt Williams fall into that category too.

Looking at his OPS+ of 127, supposedly negating the past tendency to place more weight on batting average, players such as Don Mincher, Bob Horner, Alvin Davis, Oscar Gamble and Bob Allison have an identical OPS+ career rating.

I think he was very good, not HOF.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
On the flip side, he made the All Star team only 3 times in a 20 year career.

About his nearly 400 homers, Graig Nettles, Joe Carter, Andres Galarraga and Matt Williams fall into that category too.

Looking at his OPS+ of 127, supposedly negating the past tendency to place more weight on batting average, players such as Don Mincher, Bob Horner, Alvin Davis, Oscar Gamble and Bob Allison have an identical OPS+ career rating.

I think he was very good, not HOF.
The only player among those you compared to Evans who actually belongs in the discussion is Nettles.

Career WAR:

Evans 61.1

Nettles 61.6

Carter 16.5

Galarraga 26.7

Williams 43.9

Mincher 23.6

Horner 21.0

Gamble 21.7

Davis 19.4

Allison 34.4

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

I think those players were fine to bring up, specifically within the categories I was discussing them.

Career WAR is only a single measure. The reason why I'm a "former" follower and fan of the Saber Stats is I find the discussions get too strange (and in my opinion, often inaccurate) relative to how good a ballplayer was.

I already know the counterargument, heard/read it hundreds of times, and find it rather unconvincing.

Using your WAR stuff for a moment though, guys like Bernie Williams, Alan Trammell, Bobby Grich, Reggie Smith, Jimmy Wynn and Lou Whitaker are in the same range as Evans.

Like I stated, a very good ballplayer, not a HOF guy.

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-10-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I think those players were fine to bring up, specifically within the categories I was discussing them.

Career WAR is only a single measure. The reason why I'm a "former" follower and fan of the Saber Stats is I find the discussions get too strange (and in my opinion, often inaccurate) relative to how good a ballplayer was.

WAR is a singular numerical expression of multiple measurements, not a single measure. That is why it trumps the other numbers you reference. It is clearly insufficient to compare two players who hit 400 homeruns each on only the basis that they both hit 400 career homeruns. Joe DiMaggio hit 361 career homeruns, Gary Gaetti hit 360. Does that mean the value of DiMaggio's career is one homerun more than the value of Gaetti's?

That you find things "too strange" isn't an argument about the value of sabermetrics, it is a statement about the degree of your willingness to complicate your appreciation of baseball. I would not argue that you need to understand WAR in order to enjoy baseball, but I would argue that you need to understand it to take part in any meaningful discussions of career value.

Last edited by Grandstander; 02-10-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Kind of the typical response from this and other (baseball) boards when discussing this type of topic. Most of the baseball boards have generally died off, and those remaining "statheads" exchanges can make the discussions a bit insufferable.

If you think WAR is the critical measure and Evans belongs, then so do the guys I list in Post #4.

Meanwhile, the issue is Evans and HOF...and my comment still stands.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Kind of the typical response from this and other (baseball) boards when discussing this type of topic. Most of the baseball boards have generally died off, and those remaining "statheads" exchanges can make the discussions a bit insufferable.

If you think WAR is the critical measure and Evans belongs, then so do the guys I list in Post #4.

Meanwhile, the issue is Evans and HOF...and my comment still stands.
Perhaps it is typical because it enjoys the virtue of truth.

I understand the nature of your complaint, but it is no different than any other irritation with something that you enjoy which has become more complex. Those willing to embrace the complexity move on to the next level, those who are unwilling do not and usually resent those who have moved on because they have ruined what the non mover used to enjoy before it became complex. The ones who have moved on become "insufferable" as you described them not because they are wrong, but because you are now being left out of the discussion. It appears that they are saying to you "Okay, that's nice about the 400 homeruns, now find something to do while we conduct the real discussion."

And, well, they are.

Our emotional reactions however do not have anything to do with whether or not the new system is superior, only on how likely or unlikely it is that someone will employ the new system.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
With what players do you find that WAR is inaccurate and what leads you to believe that it is inaccurate?

What flaws do you find in the methodology?

WAR isn't perfect, but it is, in my opinion, clearly the best tool that we have.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 AM

The topic is Evans and the Hall of Fame, and my statements concerning why I don't think he belongs are in Post #2 and Post #4 of this thread.

If you think WAR is the ultimate HOF measure, then you believe that guys like Reggie Smith, Lou Whitaker and Scott Rolen should clearly make the HOF.

Also, if you think WAR is the ultimate measure, then on a WAR per year basis you should also be a big supporter of Kenny Lofton and Bobby Grich for the HOF.

I disagree.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
The topic is Evans and the Hall of Fame, and my statements concerning why I don't think he belongs are in Post #2 and Post #4 of this thread.
OPS and number of HR's only consider, at best, 1 part of a players' contribution to his team. A discussion of a players' hall worthiness can begin there, but certainly cannot end there.

Quote:
If you think WAR is the ultimate HOF measure, then you believe that guys like Reggie Smith, Lou Whitaker and Scott Rolen should clearly make the HOF.
Those players are all in the top 100 position players of all time according to fWAR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball