Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,085,737 times

Advertisements

it's that time of yr again, that's right, time for me to go homer and Pick my Red Sox to win it all again.

So here goes

2011 champs: the Red Sox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
it's that time of yr again, that's right, time for me to go homer and try to Pick my Red Sox to win it all again.

So here goes

2011 champs: the Phillies

Fixed above

Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM

5,794 posts, read 13,910,553 times
I'll pick the Os to finish 3rd in the AL East.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:54 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,085,737 times
I was kidding around, but the AL east will not be easy.

I think Tampa will take a step back, but how big of a step? 85 wins?

Toronto won 85 games last yr, this yr It really comes down to the young starting pitching. I expect 80 - 82 wins

Baltimore- This team has improved but it needed to, much like Toronto how well do the young Starters pitch. I say 76-78 wins

NY Yankees- sorry but not buying the underdog "BS" coming out of there camp.
the back end of the rotation holds the key as least until July. 93 - 95 wins

Boston- they definitely reloaded, but it will still come down to there starting pitching, they have Lester who's money, Buccholtz who's likely to regress some, Beckett and Lackey both need to improve on last yr although Lackey's 2nd half was better. Dice-K who is who he is at this point, and Wakefield at 6.

94-97 wins

Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,463,618 times
My semi-educated picks:

AL EAST: Red Sox
AL CENTRAL: White Sox
AL WEST: Rangers
AL WC: Yankees

NL EAST: Phillies
NL CENTRAL: Cards
NL WEST: Giants
NL WC: Braves

ALCS: Red Sox over White sox
NLCS: Phillies over Braves

WS: Red Sox over Phillies

Thats kinda chalky, but whatever.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,051,038 times
I pick the Pirates to have another losing season. (I am a Pirates's fan, so I can )
Like I stayed up all night trying to figure that one out

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 PM

52,622 posts, read 47,825,177 times
Default Case's 2011 Picks

Here we go, guys! I'm bringing you my fearless, yet highly unscientific predictions for Major League Baseball's 2011 season. The following is how I see it, with the expected finish record in parentheses:

NATIONAL LEAGUE

EAST-
1. Philadelphia Phillies (98-64) This team does not appear to have any weaknesses at all, and their pitching is as strong as there is in the league, with Cliff Lee rejoining them. They're your winner until someone else can catch them.
2. Atlanta Braves (95-67) Well, the Bobby Cox era may be over, but the Braves will still be strong and most likely to challenge Philly for the division. It will be interesting to see how Chipper Jones responds after coming back from knee ligament surgery.
3. Florida Marlins (85-77) The reason they will contend?? Pitching. You may be surprised by seeing this rotation, but they are going to get a lot better over time. Offensively, however, they will miss the departed Dan Uggla. Good prospects should make good this season, so the Fish won't stink this year.
4. Washington Nationals (78-84) Yes, they'll be better. Adam LaRoche and Jayson Werth were added to improve the batting order. Pitching will be loaded with veterans, but the Nats plan to bring in their young prospects as they go.
5. New York Mets (67-93) The soap opera never ends in Flushing. They'll have a new manager in Terry Collins, but most of last year's core will be back once again. It will be a long season for the Mets with Washington surpassing them.

CENTRAL-
1. Milwaukee Brewers (90-72) Surprise?? You bet. The Brew Crew made a costly trade to get righty Zack Greinke from Kansas City, along with SS Yuniesky Betancourt. But all eyes will be on 1B Prince Fielder, as this may be his last year in Milwaukee.
2. St Louis Cardinals (87-75) They didn't need the trouble with Albert Pujols' contract negotiations. No matter. They've got most of the rotation back, but Adam Wainwright is lost for the year. Not good, but they'll still have enough weapons to contend.
3. Houston Astros (83-79) Younger has proven to be better in last year's second half. So, now Houston is banking on their recent draft selections to make a new impact here. The trouble is, they'll be without catching prospect Jason Castro, who will likely be out for the season with knee surgery.
4. Cincinnati Reds (81-81) These guys made things real interesting last season, as they've learned how to win. Their big test is coming up. The Reds could have a tough time trying to handle last year's success, but most of their core group is back, with Joey Votto and Jay Bruce being given multi-year extensions.
5. Chicago Cubs (71-91) Don't you wish Lou Piniella were still managing?? He isn't, so instead, the North Siders have to get used to no-name manager Mike Quade to get them going. The pitching will be decent, at least in the rotation, but there is still no offense here. Back to the golf course in October.
6. Pittsburgh Pirates (54-108) The best thing that could happen to this sad team is the hiring of manager Clint Hurdle. He'll get their young players on their feet, but it will take some time. The key now is keeping their prospects instead of giving them away. Pittsburgh has a chance to contend in a few years. Not now.

WEST-
1. San Francisco Giants (96-66) This is routinely a hard division to predict, but the Giants have added more good pitching on top of what they already have. Jeff Suppan, say hello to AT&T Park. Last year's Rookie Of The Year, Buster Posey, looks to have a big year.
2. San Diego Padres (93-69) Can you say almost? They'll probably do that again this season, and despite losing Adrian Gonzalez at first, they've still gained Orlando Hudson, who'll help immensely at second. It largely will be up to the youngsters to deliver.
3. Los Angeles Dodgers (76-86) Don Mattingly replaces Joe Torre at the helm in the dugout. The offense has no cornerstone player. And Russell Martin won't be behind the plate. This team could go either way, but a World Series here is still far from reach.
4. Colorado Rockies (73-89) There are too many question marks in Rockieland, just three and a half years removed from their only World Series berth. Ty Wigginton does bring in a big bat, but they look to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki to carry the load for Colorado.
5. Arizona Diamondbacks (70-92) I admit, I'd love to see Kirk Gibson succeed as a big-league manager. He'll get his chance in Phoenix, where they are hungry to get back to the Big Show. It'll be a few years, but this crew just might.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

EAST-
1. Boston Red Sox (105-57) They've gotten all the dots connected in the offseason. Add Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez to their strong lineup, and they have what it takes to get to the top and stay there. Leading the pitching will be Josh Beckett, the ageless Tim Wakefield, and John Lackey.
2. Tampa Bay Rays (92-70) At least, this team has reason to be optimistic. They exceeded a lot of expectations last year, and much will be expected again. Starting pitching and offense will be very good, but the bullpen is being completely rebuilt. Hopefully, the Rays will keep things interesting in the East, and they hope that will put fannies in the Tropicana Field seats.
3. New York Yankees (82-80) Why they won't go to the playoffs this season: thin pitching. That's right. No Andy Pettitte this time around, as he is now retired. Andruw Jones was added for outfield depth.
4. Baltimore Orioles (74-88) They'll show marked improvement under manager Buck Showalter, who is a proven winner. The O's had two notable acquisitions in 1B Derrek Lee and DH Vladimir Guerrero, so expect plenty of offense at Camden Yards.
5. Toronto Blue Jays (71-91) So much for last year's 85 wins. A lot of the guys from that bunch are gone, so youth will be the order of the year in Canada. They may be spending the year battling Seattle and Cleveland for the AL's worst record.

CENTRAL-
1. Minnesota Twins (93-69) It will be speed and defense this year at Target Field. Most of the core from 2010 will return, and garnering a lot of attention will be one of the newer players. His name is Tsuyoshi Nishioka, and he will be the Twins' new leadoff hitter and shortstop. Remember that name. There will be a test at the end of the period.
2. Detroit Tigers (88-74) They will be the most likely group to challenge the Twins for the division, and they've added Brad Penny to the rotation and Magglio Ordonez to the middle of the batting order.
3. Chicago White Sox (79-83) Pitching will be the biggest question going in, as Jake Peavy won't be around right away following shoulder surgery. Offensively, they retained Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski for a little longer.
4. Kansas City Royals (78-84) They'll be closer to contending than people realize. It's just that they have a few more steps to take. Losing Zack Greinke won't hurt the Royals too much, as Mike Montgomery and John Lamb are ready to step in.
5. Cleveland Indians (60-102) How comical is it that Cleveland is now bringing up the rear in the Central? Prospects are in the offing for the roster, and new manager Manny Acta has a decidedly tall task ahead of him. See them in about 2015.

WEST-
1. Texas Rangers (86-76) It was "Shock The World" last fall, when this once-futile franchise made its first World Series appearance. Although they have a strong lineup and a decent pitching staff, they may win this slightly weak division and not get to another Big Show this time around. They still have Michael Young, disgruntled by some of the team's offseason moves, but here's betting that he won't be with the Rangers come July.
2. Los Angeles Angels (84-78) Never rule out a team with Mike Scioscia at the manager's seat. And never also rule out a team bolstered in the offseason with OF Vernon Wells and reliever Scott Downs to join, respectively, a dynamic outfield and a bullpen that just might be the AL's best, if not the second best.
3. Oakland Athletics (73-89) Coco Crisp is back in center, and the A's may have a bullpen that could challenge the Angels and Red Sox. They just need to have leads to get to those guys.
4. Seattle Mariners (65-97) How about another losing season to go with that latte? It doesn't look good for a team that had really high hopes for improvement going into last season, only to experience disaster. Lefty Erik Bedard is hoping to start on Opening Day. Right now, they'll have to look at prospects while they muddle through the mire.

All-Star Game Champ: National

AL Wild Card: Tampa Bay
NL Wild Card: Atlanta
AL Champion: Boston
NL Champion: Philadelphia

World Champ: Boston

And there you are.

Last edited by case44; 03-23-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
^^^ Wow Boston 105 wins - that would be extremely impressive in the AL east

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-23-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,910,553 times
It would be most impressive indeed. They've never hit the 100 wins plateau in my lifetime. 1978 was the closest at 99. Bleepin' Bucky Dent.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
NL CENTRAL: Cards
This is the only one that isn't at least semi-possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
1. Philadelphia Phillies (98-64) This team does not appear to have any weaknesses at all, and their pitching is as strong as there is in the league, with Cliff Lee rejoining them. They're your winner until someone else can catch them.
This team has a few weaknesses: Chase Utley's injury, the bullpen, OF depth, IF depth.

Quote:
3. Houston Astros (83-79) Younger has proven to be better in last year's second half. So, now Houston is banking on their recent draft selections to make a new impact here. The trouble is, they'll be without catching prospect Jason Castro, who will likely be out for the season with knee surgery.
Houston is terrible.

Quote:
4. Colorado Rockies (73-89) There are too many question marks in Rockieland, just three and a half years removed from their only World Series berth. Ty Wigginton does bring in a big bat, but they look to Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki to carry the load for Colorado.
I think you dyslexized the Rockies' record.

Quote:
1. Boston Red Sox (105-57) They've gotten all the dots connected in the offseason. Add Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez to their strong lineup, and they have what it takes to get to the top and stay there. Leading the pitching will be Josh Beckett, the ageless Tim Wakefield, and John Lackey.
That's a lot of wins

Quote:
3. New York Yankees (82-80) Why they won't go to the playoffs this season: thin pitching. That's right. No Andy Pettitte this time around, as he is now retired. Andruw Jones was added for outfield depth.
I'm as down on the Yankees' pitching as anyone but 90 wins is a lot more likely than 80. And Andruw is in about the perfect situation for him to succeed.

Quote:
1. Minnesota Twins (93-69) It will be speed and defense this year at Target Field. Most of the core from 2010 will return, and garnering a lot of attention will be one of the newer players. His name is Tsuyoshi Nishioka, and he will be the Twins' new leadoff hitter and shortstop. Remember that name. There will be a test at the end of the period.
I think Nishioka is playing 2nd.

Quote:
2. Detroit Tigers (88-74) They will be the most likely group to challenge the Twins for the division, and they've added Brad Penny to the rotation and Magglio Ordonez to the middle of the batting order.
Mags has been in Detroit for a while

Quote:
3. Chicago White Sox (79-83) Pitching will be the biggest question going in, as Jake Peavy won't be around right away following shoulder surgery. Offensively, they retained Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski for a little longer.
The White Sox have an enviable rotation.

Quote:
4. Kansas City Royals (78-84) They'll be closer to contending than people realize. It's just that they have a few more steps to take. Losing Zack Greinke won't hurt the Royals too much, as Mike Montgomery and John Lamb are ready to step in.
Montgomery and Lamb are highly regarded prospects, but I doubt we'll be seeing them for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball