Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times

Advertisements

Stephen Drew hurt his leg last night sliding into home

Go to :55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Hideki Matsui hit his 500th career home run.

168 in the majors and 332 in the NPR

Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Stephen Drew hurt his leg last night sliding into home

Go to :55
Why is this described as especially gruesome? If he hadn't grabbed his ankle, you wouldn't have suspected that he had been hurt, the play looked pretty ordinary, not Joe Thiesman class at all.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why is this described as especially gruesome? If he hadn't grabbed his ankle, you wouldn't have suspected that he had been hurt, the play looked pretty ordinary, not Joe Thiesman class at all.
Took me a while to see it as well, he didn't grab his ankle so much as he returned it to something resembling its natural alignment.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Grossest one I've seen in person was when Candy Maldonado was with the Giants. On sinking balls hit in front of him, he employed a forward slide to try and catch em. Sometimes he did and sometimes the ball bounced behind him and it was a triple. In this one game, we had seats down the right field line, so we had a perfect view when Maldonado came charging in, went into his slide, and his trailing foot got caught in the grass somehow. The rest of Maldonado was still going forward, but his foot was pinned behind him and...ugh...his ankle got turned in a manner not humanly possible. His teammates were taking a look and then turning their heads and burying their faces in their gloves, a fan a few rows in front of us puked up her hotdog and beer. I worked in hospitals for a few years and had seen some pretty disgusting stuff, burn victims, a guy with a pitchfork through his thigh, but this Maldonado calamity still got to me.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Grossest one I've seen in person was when Candy Maldonado was with the Giants. On sinking balls hit in front of him, he employed a forward slide to try and catch em. Sometimes he did and sometimes the ball bounced behind him and it was a triple. In this one game, we had seats down the right field line, so we had a perfect view when Maldonado came charging in, went into his slide, and his trailing foot got caught in the grass somehow. The rest of Maldonado was still going forward, but his foot was pinned behind him and...ugh...his ankle got turned in a manner not humanly possible. His teammates were taking a look and then turning their heads and burying their faces in their gloves, a fan a few rows in front of us puked up her hotdog and beer. I worked in hospitals for a few years and had seen some pretty disgusting stuff, burn victims, a guy with a pitchfork through his thigh, but this Maldonado calamity still got to me.
I'm not a huge fan of what happened to Raiders' running back Napoleon McCallum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4kA...eature=related

That's the one that stands out to me

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hideki Matsui hit his 500th career home run.

168 in the majors and 332 in the NPR
That is good for Godzilla, but the A's didn't need individual milestone home runs from him, they needed greater production than his 223 .302 .348 .650 line has been providing.

Man are the A's a god awful offensive club. The team OPS has been declining for several consecutive years and I hope that it doesn't go lower than the current .644 which is 28th out of 30 ML teams.

The A's do not have a single "bathroom" hitter. By that I mean there isn't anyone on the roster for whom you would delay a trip to the concession stands or to take a leak, because he was due up in the inning. The leading hitter right now, albeit one with only 151 plate appearances, is Jamie Weeks.....308 .342 .406 .748. Among the nine A's hitters with the most at bats this season, the OPS are:
Crisp-.699
Pennington-.613
Suzuki-.631
DeJesus-.660
Matsui-.650
Willingham-.743
Jackson-.641
Barton-.592
Ellis-.544 (no longer with team)

The OPS for the entire American League is .717. That means that except for Willingham, the A's have a below average hitter at every slot.

They do not give you much inspiration for wanting to pay to see them swing their bats.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of what happened to Raiders' running back Napoleon McCallum.
‪Napolean McCallum injury‬‏ - YouTube

That's the one that stands out to me
I think Jason Kendall was the worst I ever saw in baseball.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
They do not give you much inspiration for wanting to pay to see them swing their bats.
You can be inspired by the fact that they aren't the Mariners

A's: .304/.340 (OBP/SLG) .289 wOBA, 83 wRC+ (17% worse than average)
M's: .288/.329 .276 wOBA, 75 wRC+ (25% worse than average)

Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,077,497 times
a few call ups to talk about

Houston's answer at 2nd base after the Keppinger deal is Jose Altuve here's his minor league stats
Jose Altuve Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

It looks like he can fly^

the padres sent out Anthony Rizzo and brought back (1b,LF) Kyle Blanks, here's Blanks minor league stats
Kyle Blanks Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com

I'd be interested to see what Filihoke thinks of Blanks

The Indians promoted 2nd baseman Jason Kipnis and there's some talk that he might be an outfielder
here's Kipnis's stats Jason Kipnis Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball