Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Dodger reliever Kenley Jansen recorded his 100th career strikeout last night.

The converted catcher has faced 262 batters in his major league career and K'd 38% of them.
*trueblue LA
Jansen picked up the save for LA today, striking out 2 of the 3 batters that he faced.

Jansen hasn't given up a run since May 28th

Since then he has pitched 13 games and 15 innings.
He's faced 55 batters giving up 3 hits, walking 7 and striking out 24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 AM

I'm not 100% sure that he made the tag, but I woulda called him out.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
Quote:
What point are you trying to make here?
1. Pythagorean analysis doesn't have any predictive value about games that haven't been played yet nor any other future performance. Nor any NEW way to evaluate past play.
2. The worst 16-game stretch, out of an entire season, does not prove that a team which had played .500 ball the first half, is suddenly "genuine badness".
3. People who fall in love with a statistic will cling to it with dogmatic zeal and defend it to the death, shouting down any doubters.
4. Even a fifth-grade girl who dots her I's with little hearts and has never heard of Pythagoras nor baseball, could guess, intuitively, that a team that scored more points than their opponents would have more wins than losses.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
Quote:
What point are you trying to make here?
1. Pythagorean analysis doesn't have any predictive value about games that haven't been played yet.
2. The worst 16-game stretch, out of an entire season, does not prove that a team which had played .500 ball the first half, is "genuine badness".
3. You can, with hindsight, pre-select any subset of past games and analyze them to come to a conclusion that you wish to express with a clever quip.
4. People who fall in love with a statistical methodology will cling to it with dogmatic zeal and defend it to the death, shouting down any doubters.
5. Even a fifth-grade girl who dots her I's with little hearts and has never heard of Pythagoras nor baseball, could guess, intuitively, that a team that scored more points than their opponents would have more wins than losses.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,360,351 times
The M's have a golden opportunity to end their streak today against Phil Hughes.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:08 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,723,471 times
To me still one of the most exciting plays in baseball

‪Chase Utley's Inside-The-Park Homerun‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The M's have a golden opportunity to end their streak today against Phil Hughes.
Hey, the Mariners have a real shot at immortality here, they only need to drop five more to break the Orioles AL record of 21 consecutive losses. (1988)

If they did it, I would regard that as the true MLB record.The 1899 Cleveland Spiders hold that at 24 straight whippings, but I think folks are generally familiar with the special circumstances involved with the Spiders. Their owners decided to fold the team. They bought the St. Louis Browns and transferred all of the halfway decent players on the Spider roster to the Browns roster. They also changed nearly all of the Cleveland home games to road games since the team's only function now was to meet the schedule obligations. (The Spiders lost 101 road games, a record that will never be approached since teams only play 81 road games a year.)

All of that was by preparation for contracting the Spiders out of existence in 1900.

So, I think it is fair to say that the '88 Orioles hold the consecutive loss record for ML teams which were actually trying to win.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,449,716 times
WhiteSox make a deal

Chicago White Sox trade Edwin Jackson, Mark Teahen to Toronto Blue Jays - ESPN Chicago

Sox are pretty deep in starting pitching, at least for this season, so I don't think this is that big of a risk. We'll see if it pays off.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:50 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,723,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
WhiteSox make a deal

Chicago White Sox trade Edwin Jackson, Mark Teahen to Toronto Blue Jays - ESPN Chicago

Sox are pretty deep in starting pitching, at least for this season, so I don't think this is that big of a risk. We'll see if it pays off.

What are the White Sox doing with Quentin? Seems like they are on the fence whether to trade for future or go at it 4 games back.

Would love to see either him or Pence in a Phils uniform

Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
WhiteSox make a deal

Jackson and more flipped to the Cardinals

The Final Deal:
Cards Receive: Edwin Jackson, Mark Rzepczynski, Cory Patterson, Octavio Dotel
Blue Jays Receive: Colby Rasmus, Mark Teahen, Brian Tallet, Trever Miller, PJ Walters
Chi Sox Receive: Jason Frasor, Zack Stewart

Off the top of my head, big win for the Jays. Rasmus is the best player in the deal. And getting the best player is usually a good thing.

Stewart has mixed reviews. He's certainly not an A+ prospect.

The Cardinals got some good players, but gave up a very valuable piece in Rasmus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball