Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:28 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/26/sp...r=1&ref=sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Unfortunately, he made his own choices. That excludes him from consideration as a victim.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 AM

41 posts, read 49,173 times
Another classic example of Manny being Manny

Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,744 times
So THAT's why the Rays started off so sluggish...good riddance!!! Knew he was a mistake the day they announced him coming to Tampa.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Good article, kind of fits in a bit with the interaction I saw between Manny and his teammates when I went to spring training in the early 1990's.

I generally don't have a negative view of Manny, though he spurned the Indians at a crucial time in the team's run for a championship. He just has a different approach to life, and it reflects in many of his decisions and behaviors.

But...I don't think he is a bad guy at all.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Good article, kind of fits in a bit with the interaction I saw between Manny and his teammates when I went to spring training in the early 1990's.

I generally don't have a negative view of Manny, though he spurned the Indians at a crucial time in the team's run for a championship. He just has a different approach to life, and it reflects in many of his decisions and behaviors.

But...I don't think he is a bad guy at all.
Except maybe when he was agreeing to multi million dollar deals while concealing from his employers that he was subject to getting nabbed in a drug test at any time.

And this "not a bad guy at all" .......I don't see him rushing to return any of the money to the Red Sox or Dodgers or Rays.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Except maybe when he was agreeing to multi million dollar deals while concealing from his employers that he was subject to getting nabbed in a drug test at any time.

And this "not a bad guy at all" .......I don't see him rushing to return any of the money to the Red Sox or Dodgers or Rays.
He didn't get paid any of the time that he was suspended

Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
He didn't get paid any of the time that he was suspended
I wasn't referencing that. When the Dodgers negotiated that huge salary with Ramirez, it was based on the assumption that his production was real and sustainable. Had the team known the reality, that the production was artificial and subject to rapid removal via a suspension, or rapid decline via a stoppage of the chemical enhancements, it dos not seem too terribly likley that they would have risked the amount which was offered.

In short, Ramirez unambiguously defrauded the Dodgers.

One might also argue that Ramirez defrauded the fans who believed that they were paying to see an athlete engaged in honest competition.

None of the above squares with my notion of "not a bad guy at all."

Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
We disagree Grandstander. I know that his recent history is certainly spotty, to be charitable, but overall I don't think he was a guy who will get into trouble or legal problems now that his career is over.

I agree with how the article portrays him, pretty much a self contained individual who isn't magnanimous.

We have different criteria as to what constitutes a bad guy.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We disagree Grandstander. I know that his recent history is certainly spotty, to be charitable, but overall I don't think he was a guy who will get into trouble or legal problems now that his career is over.

I agree with how the article portrays him, pretty much a self contained individual who isn't magnanimous.

We have different criteria as to what constitutes a bad guy.
Neither of us know him beyond media exposure, that he is a better or worse person than myself in private life, I do not know. My judgment here is limited to his public life, to what I do know. That includes knowing that twice, since the time MLB had finally faced up to the steroid problem and was trying very hard to rehabilitate its image, Ramirez was caught still cheating. It includes knowing that the huge salary he was offered by the Dodgers was based on false expectations and representations on the part of Ramirez. And while I do not know with certainty, his behavior strongly reinforces suspicions that he owes a great deal of his success to PEDs, not just when he was caught, but long before that as well.

None of that behavior is the sort which gets someone placed on my admiration list. Perhaps he has all sorts of redeeming qualities, but fans haven't been paying attention to him for the last 15 years for those, they have been paying attention to the professional athlete/entertainer. It seems to me that Ramirez unzipped and took a leak on his own profession, and on the fans paying to see him perform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball