Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM

10,189 posts, read 20,854,660 times

Advertisements

I haven't been following the rest of the league, but I've noticed that Reyes and Beltran have been playing their asses off for the Mets this season. As it just so happens, they are in the last year of their contract and anticipate negotiations elsewhere. I've always questioned these "injuries" that have kept players like them out for so long and then suddenly they are healthy as horses in the last year of their overpaid contract. Can't wait to get rid of these goldbrickers for some young talent that really wants to play.

Meanwhile, the league and pro sports as a whole, needs to get away from these long term contracts for huge sums of cash. Pay for play, year to year.

Anyone out there seeing the same thing on your respective teams? Which players are performing above average in the last year of their contract after milking injuries for the duration of their contract or playing half-hearted ball in previous seasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,375,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I haven't been following the rest of the league, but I've noticed that Reyes and Beltran have been playing their asses off for the Mets this season. As it just so happens, they are in the last year of their contract and anticipate negotiations elsewhere. I've always questioned these "injuries" that have kept players like them out for so long and then suddenly they are healthy as horses in the last year of their overpaid contract. Can't wait to get rid of these goldbrickers for some young talent that really wants to play.

Meanwhile, the league and pro sports as a whole, needs to get away from these long term contracts for huge sums of cash. Pay for play, year to year.

Anyone out there seeing the same thing on your respective teams? Which players are performing above average in the last year of their contract after milking injuries for the duration of their contract or playing half-hearted ball in previous seasons?
Silly

The Myth Of The Contract Year Slugger - Forbes.com
Quote:
But it's pretty much a myth, no more likely to happen than not. Data from Bloomberg's new MLB analytical tool, which is being used by 28 of 30 clubs this year on a free trial basis, shows that on balance, players' production in the walk years of their contracts vary little from the few years that preceded it.
Albert Pujols is in a contract year. There was talk that he might be in line for the biggest contract in baseball history.

Pujols 2001-2010 (per 162 games): 156 games, .331 Average, .426 OBP, .624 SLG, 41 HR, 123 RBI, 4 days missed to injury, .2 DL trips
Pujols 2011 (per 162 games): 149 games, .279 Average, .355 OBP, .500 SLG, 35 HR, 92 RBI. He's currently on the DL with a broken arm and is expected to miss about 2 months of the season.

Do you think that a player would get a bigger contract for playing well and injury free for 5 consecutive seasons or by playing well for 1 season after playing poorly for 4 seasons?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,715,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I haven't been following the rest of the league, but I've noticed that Reyes and Beltran have been playing their asses off for the Mets this season. As it just so happens, they are in the last year of their contract and anticipate negotiations elsewhere.
Beltran, after his little disagreement with Met doctors last winter over whether or not he really needed surgery...him I can't comment on. I've had precisely the same suspicion. (At the time, Beltran seemed to indicate that he didn't expect to be playing at Citifield beyond 2011. So far this year, there hasn't been any evidence as to his current thinking).

But using Jose Reyes as an example doesn't work at all. This is the first time in quite a while he's been completely healthy; he's been capable of this production all along. What's he's doing on the field and at the plate this year doesn't come as a surprise to Mets fans. We've just been waiting longer than we wanted to, in order to see it.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM

10,189 posts, read 20,854,660 times
I don't know. This past decade I've seen more "injuries" sideline players than ever before. This is baseball, not football or hockey, yet these guys milk injuries for all they're worth. There were never this many injuries in decades prior. Not sure if it's steroid related with some of these guys or just lack of motivation once they've already signed the $100M+ contract. One can't help to wonder how coincidentally they are healthy as a horse and playing the best ball of their contract during the last year.

I don't question legit injuries such as Pujols, but some of these guys are laid up for weeks for muscle pulls and sprains that I feel are being exploited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball