Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,685,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
You know, regular season results don't mean much in the playoffs.
You know that, and so do I. But TVSG has used this "logic" before, stubbornly continuing to act as though what happens in the regular season defines what will happen in the playoffs. I guess he has to get credit for persistence...but not much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,262,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You know that, and so do I. But TVSG has used this "logic" before, stubbornly continuing to act as though what happens in the regular season defines what will happen in the playoffs. I guess he has to get credit for persistence...but not much else.
I didn't know the acronym "TVSG" and the word "logic" belonged in the same sentence.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,685,831 times
They don't; that's why I put "logic" in quotation marks.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM

4,417 posts, read 9,164,904 times
Quote:
Here are the numbers I like:

The above are the Phillies' regular win totals from 2001 to 2010. (For what it's worth, had the Phillies not had one game in 2002 cancelled, they may have even finished .500 that year; they went 80-81. That may not seem all that impressive, but 80-81 is a better record than what the Phillies had in all but one season between 1987 and 2000.) Though many people jumped on the Phillies' bandwagon in 2008 (or at least 2007), their run as a playoff contender really started back in 2001 when they overachieved and finished 2 games behind the Braves for the NL East title. Now obviously it was frustrating to see Phillies fall just a bit short of the playoffs in 2001 and every year from 2003 to 2006, but you know what? I'll gladly take a team that is a winning team and playoff contender almost every year, even if they fall short, over the type of team the Phillies were from 1987-1992/1994-2000 (and for that matter for most of their history prior to the mid-1970s). Obviously the Phillies have stepped it up since 2007 (or more accurately 2008), but the Phils didn't have to take that big of a step to get to where they got to starting in 2008; they were already most of the way there in the early to mid-2000s. (Interestingly, if MLB allowed the top 4 teams in each league to make the playoffs regardless of division, the Phillies would have also made the playoffs in 2005 and 2006.) Almost every team in baseball would gladly trade their 2001-2010 (actually through mid-2011) records for the Phillies' records during the same period, and there aren't many extended periods in Phillies history where the franchise could legitimately make that claim.

Every Phillies fan out there should appreciate what the team has done since 2001 because this is arguably the best extended stretch of success in the team's mostly inglorious history, with the possible exception of the 1975-1983 period. Hopefully the Phillies will be able to turn over their roster as needed and continue their stretch of success for a few more years.

Very well put by an obvious true fan who did not jump on the bandwagon and invade my sport in 2008. This decade has been great, and while I hope they progress and win the Series this year, there is the reality that the team will probably take a few steps back in the future. As long as they are reasonably competitive and in a pennant race I will be happy. Hopefully the ignorant bandwagon fans who call WIP will go away!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 PM

4,417 posts, read 9,164,904 times
Quote:
I didn't know the acronym "TVSG" and the word "logic" belonged in the same sentence.

For the record, I do not use acronyms or abbreviations. Nor do I use sick or stupid as adjetives. I am so fed up with the behavior of our society. I am sorry to post off topic, but I had to express my views. Go Phillies!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,394,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They lookd like another team since the 21st of June. Lost to the Padres and then lost 2 out of 3 to the Pirates and shutout last night by Cliff Lee. What happened? This was supposed a team that was an offensive machine?

Not sure why so many was counting out the Yankees so early
At the risk of sounding like the Lone Ranger, I thought the Red Sox would finish a distant second behind the Yankees, and that New York would be 5 or 6 games ahead by the All-Star break.

But if I'd known New York would be without Hughes, Chamberlain, Soriano and Marte for most of the season, I would have picked them third. Time will tell.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,716,754 times
As much as I savor the Red Sox losing, they are still 14 games above .500 and barring serious injuries to their entire club, they will keep pace with the Yankees or overtake them. Right now, winning the division or the wild card is pretty much the same thing. So, if they make the playoffs, they get to crapshoot their way to the WS along with every other team.

The only thing working against them is that they can't expect to win out the season against the Yankees. Its doubtful they'll go 17-1 against them. They'll need to start playing better against teams not called the Yankees.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,394,062 times
This may sound silly to some, but I don't think Boston has proved that they're better than New York, and here's why. In the first series at Boston, the home team won 2 of 3. No surprise there. In the first sweep, New York was in the middle of a 3-10 slump and couldn't beat anyone. In the second sweep, Boston was winning 9 straight and couldn't lose to anyone.

Let's hope both clubs will be playing consistently good baseball in their next 9 meetings.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,236,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
This may sound silly to some, but I don't think Boston has proved that they're better than New York, and here's why. In the first series at Boston, the home team won 2 of 3. No surprise there. In the first sweep, New York was in the middle of a 3-10 slump and couldn't beat anyone. In the second sweep, Boston was winning 9 straight and couldn't lose to anyone.

Plus the sun was in their eyes and the all the balls took bad hops and the gyp umpire kept blowing all the calls and all the Yankee's mothers had died the night before and the Red Sox used flubber to...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,184,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Plus the sun was in their eyes and the all the balls took bad hops and the gyp umpire kept blowing all the calls and all the Yankee's mothers had died the night before and the Red Sox used flubber to...
Last time this happened the Yanks took all the second half of the season games so it balanced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball