Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,245,722 times

Advertisements

They lookd like another team since the 21st of June. Lost to the Padres and then lost 2 out of 3 to the Pirates and shutout last night by Cliff Lee. What happened? This was supposed a team that was an offensive machine?

Not sure why so many was counting out the Yankees so early
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM

26,328 posts, read 94,051,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They lookd like another team since the 21st of June. Lost to the Padres and then lost 2 out of 3 to the Pirates and shutout last night by Cliff Lee. What happened? This was supposed a team that was an offensive machine?

I don't care who wins as long as it isn't either of those two teams. I'd root for North Korea before I'd root for either of them.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't care who wins as long as it isn't either of those two teams. I'd root for North Korea before I'd root for either of them.
So who do you root for in the AL?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM

26,328 posts, read 94,051,278 times
Quote:
So who do you root for in the AL?
The California Angels.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The California Angels.
I thought they were going to reach WS in 2009 when they knocked out Boston. I was surprised when they lost to the Yankees

Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,382,174 times
Quote:
Honestly?

Runs scored this season
#1 Yankees 411
#2 Red Sox 409
#3 Reds 391

On Base Percentage:
#1 Red Sox .350
#2 Yankees .344
#3 Cardinals .340

Slugging Percentage:
#1 Yankees .449
#2 Red Sox .444
#3 Rangers .431

wRC+ (relative to league average and adjusted for stadium)
#1 Yankees 119
#2 Red Sox 117
#3 Cardinals 109

Would have thought that the Red Sox' 0-6 and 2-10 starts would have helped people to realize that good teams can lose games over a short stretch.

First 6 games of the season: 0 - 6
Next 64 games of the season: 44 -22
Last 6 games of the season: 1 - 5

One of these days I'll learn to stop underestimating the power of willful ignorance.

Last edited by filihok; 06-29-2011 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,301,489 times
And the turnabouts can happen instantly. The Giants are currently on a season best seven game winning streak, which began after the fifth game of a season worst five game losing streak. It would seem unwise to try and evaluate their prospects for a title based on the team's performance when it is at either extreme of good and bad.

Our tendency is to try and impose some sort of comprehensible order on the chaos we perceive. We could say:
The Giants lost five in a row!

or

The Giants won seven in a row!

or

The Giants are seven and five in their last twelve games. Had that seven and five been achieved in a mixed order of wins and losses, we would only be thinking....they were 7-5. Despite the coincidence of the two linear streaks, that really is all that has taken place...a team winning seven and losing five over the course of twelve games.

Our desire to make purposeful sense of what is actually random, is reinforced by sportscasters and writers who need to fill the airways and news columns with something, so we get a pile of hooey about momentum and character, the products of being veterans, or having a steady hand at the managerial helm, or some magical emotional closeness on the club which promotes winning.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,382,296 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't get all that upset if the Red Sox or the Yankees gets into the post season. It's more fun if I have someone to root against and yell 4-letter words at the screen. If they're not in the game, I don't care all that much who wins or loses. When they're both eliminated, the games seem to become boring.

I think it would be fun to watch the Yankees or Red Sox play the North Korean national team in Pyongyang, with North Korean umpires who know what will happen to them and their families if the Koreans lose.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,275,384 times
Quote:

You're just upset because you wanted the Red Sox to sweep the Phillies and instead they've been held to 1 run over 2 games.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,119,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
You're just upset because you wanted the Red Sox to sweep the Phillies and instead they've been held to 1 run over 2 games.

He hates the Phils - Hamels gets a chance to go for the sweep tomorrow but buiness in this series is done - 2 out of 3. I think the Phils have only lost three series through the midpoint and I think this team can actually get better. To be fair the Sox are a little dinged up right now and a very good team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball