Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 67,862 times

Advertisements

Dodgers are now 13 games below .500 and they are most def sellers this trading deadline. Who do you think they will trade? I'm guessing Kuroda and maybe Loney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,321,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactowner View Post
Dodgers are now 13 games below .500 and they are most def sellers this trading deadline. Who do you think they will trade? I'm guessing Kuroda and maybe Loney?
I hope you're right and Frank doesn't tell Ned to trade Rubby de la Rosa and Jerry Sands for 20 innings of Brian Fuentes.

Pitching usually has value at the deadline, so a trade of Kuroda is a possibility. Kuroda is would be one of the best starters on the market, except that Kuroda has a full no-trade clause. I have no idea if he'd be willing to wave it.

Rafael Furcal could have some value if he can impress over the next 25 days or so. The Brewers, Reds, Giants and Cards could all use an upgrade at SS. But Furcal's injury history will lower his value and I think he's a 10-5 player which means he can't be traded without his consent.

Jamey Carroll could have some value as a backup infielder. Maybe even Aaron Miles.

James Loney has bounced back after a horrific April. No team will want him as a starting first baseman but, if the Dodgers eat his salary (way unlikely), he might be able to be a left-handed hitter off of the bench.

I'm leaning more towards the idea of trading Ethier. He's a free agent after next season and LA's probably not in the financial situation to lock up too many guys long term. I'd rather see them sign Kemp and Kershaw than Ethier. The Reds might want to upgrade in LF (Gomes, Heisey, and Lewis) and have a ton of minor league talent. If the Dodgers could trade Andre for Yonder Alonso and another prospect or two that'd be a deal you'd have to consider.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 67,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I hope you're right and Frank doesn't tell Ned to trade Rubby de la Rosa and Jerry Sands for 20 innings of Brian Fuentes.

Pitching usually has value at the deadline, so a trade of Kuroda is a possibility. Kuroda is would be one of the best starters on the market, except that Kuroda has a full no-trade clause. I have no idea if he'd be willing to wave it.

Rafael Furcal could have some value if he can impress over the next 25 days or so. The Brewers, Reds, Giants and Cards could all use an upgrade at SS. But Furcal's injury history will lower his value and I think he's a 10-5 player which means he can't be traded without his consent.

Jamey Carroll could have some value as a backup infielder. Maybe even Aaron Miles.

James Loney has bounced back after a horrific April. No team will want him as a starting first baseman but, if the Dodgers eat his salary (way unlikely), he might be able to be a left-handed hitter off of the bench.

I'm leaning more towards the idea of trading Ethier. He's a free agent after next season and LA's probably not in the financial situation to lock up too many guys long term. I'd rather see them sign Kemp and Kershaw than Ethier. The Reds might want to upgrade in LF (Gomes, Heisey, and Lewis) and have a ton of minor league talent. If the Dodgers could trade Andre for Yonder Alonso and another prospect or two that'd be a deal you'd have to consider.
Makes sense to trade Ethier, but it will break my heart. True, LA won;'t be able to afford him.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times
filihok
Quote:
Kuroda is would be one of the best starters on the market, except that Kuroda has a full no-trade clause. I have no idea if he'd be willing to wave it.
Given the club's present financial instability, and the absense of any immediate relief in sight, I would think a lot of the players would welcome the chance shift their contracts to another club, like one which hasn't filed for bankruptcy recently.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Given the club's present financial instability, and the absense of any immediate relief in sight, I would think a lot of the players would welcome the chance shift their contracts to another club, like one which hasn't filed for bankruptcy recently.
I don't think MLB will allow the team to default on payroll.

Before the season Kuroda was considering returning to Japan and took a well below market deal to remain in LA for one season. I don't know that he would accept a trade to another team.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't think MLB will allow the team to default on payroll.

It isn't a matter of inability to meet contractual obligations, it is a matter of how generous the Dodgers can afford to be with future contracts and perks. If I were a first or second year player on the Dodgers, I'd be worried that they would want to capitalize on my remaining years of obligation in the most economic way possible.

Think of the last time that MLB took over the running of a team...the Expos/Nationals. How competitive did MLB make their payroll? MLB of course is actually the other 29 owners/ownership groups, they are the ones who will be putting up the bucks to pay the Dodger salaries. Would these folks endow the Dodgers to the point where LA could outbid one of them for a prized free agent? Will the other 29 owners insist that the Dodger orphans get merit raises?

The McCourts rode this team hard and put it away wet. The organization is going to be a chaotic mess until it is sold to stable ownership..and when that will be possible isn't readily apparent.

Do I want a stateroom aboard the Titanic, or would I be happier on another ship with a stateroom just as good, but not headed for an iceberg?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It isn't a matter of inability to meet contractual obligations, it is a matter of how generous the Dodgers can afford to be with future contracts and perks. If I were a first or second year player on the Dodgers, I'd be worried that they would want to capitalize on my remaining years of obligation in the most economic way possible.
You're absolutely right. If I were Clayton Kershaw or Matt Kemp I'd certainly be in no hurry to sign long term deals to stay in LA.

But Kuroda, who's already considered returning to Japan and who (as far as all the articles I read) had no intention of playing for a team other than the Dodgers, is probably less than 50/50 to return to LA next year regardless of the financial situation.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 AM

78,520 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Who would be making decisions like this?

Since they filed for bankruptcy does the GM have to run things by the court or a trustee etc? Are they required to slash payroll?

Just really curious how a situation like this would work.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Who would be making decisions like this?

Since they filed for bankruptcy does the GM have to run things by the court or a trustee etc? Are they required to slash payroll?

Just really curious how a situation like this would work.
Ultimately it will be up to the bankruptcy judge. The court does not take over the operation of the club, but the folks who are running it have to submit all of their financial dealings for approval. The bankruptcy judge's job is to see that the operators are paying off their existing debt before taking on new obligations, so spending is going to be tight for a time. Don't look for LA to be in the bidding for Albert this fall.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM

78,520 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Ultimately it will be up to the bankruptcy judge. The court does not take over the operation of the club, but the folks who are running it have to submit all of their financial dealings for approval. The bankruptcy judge's job is to see that the operators are paying off their existing debt before taking on new obligations, so spending is going to be tight for a time. Don't look for LA to be in the bidding for Albert this fall.
Ok, this is somewhat what I expected just didn't know if MLB would be some sort of side guarantor and thus things might play out differently.

I still can't get my brain around how Manny can get busted for drug policy violations, retire to avoid penalty.....and get to keep the $$$.

Really, in this crappy economy with people struggling and these guys get tens of millions no matter what and they can't figure out why most pro sports are struggling financially? It would be a cold day in heck before a put another $1 into the pockets of pro-sports at this rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball