Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I suppose now it is just a matter of where Clippard's heroics will rank in the panoply of greatest All Star moments. Musial's game winning homer, the Rose-Fosse collision, Reggies blast in Detroit...and Clippard's inducing Bautista into his ill considered attempt to score. We will probably get sick of seeing replayed again and again over the years.
For me, there can be no doubt. It's no secret that I am a huge proponent of statistics based analysis. Musial and Reggie may have scored and drove in runs with their home runs, Rose scored a run as well, but Clippard did much more than score a run. He got a win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
For me, there can be no doubt. It's no secret that I am a huge proponent of statistics based analysis. Musial and Reggie may have scored and drove in runs with their home runs, Rose scored a run as well, but Clippard did much more than score a run. He got a win.
So, a Win on three pitches projects to what kind of WAR?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Really fun time at the stadium last night .... I was glad to be able to bask in Clippards Aura ..... however, that throw by pence was superb ..... looked like it was going to be a close play when it came off the bat - not at all

Also, that grab by bautista was sick ..... most of the stadium didn't see him grab it .... if you watch it you'll see him run, slide and the stadium will be pretty quiet .... the ump took a second to clench his fist, then the stadium cheered .... got really loud when they showed a good angle of it on the big board

Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I was angered when I saw Hunter Pence trying to take all the credit for the play.
Quote:
Pence was thrilled by the play, stating, “It was way more exciting than hitting a home run. I had a weird intuition that Adrian Beltre was going to hit a line drive to me. … It happened the way I anticipated it.”
The lone Astro: Pence delivers - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

"weird intuition" indeed. Obviously Clippard flashed a sign to Pence that he was setting Beltre up to hit a deceptive single which would appear sufficient for Bautista to score...and Pence should be ready to capitalize on Bautista taking the bait.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Pence threw an absolute bullet though .... when it came off the bat it looked like it would be a run, when pence cleanly played the ball you thought it would be close, when you say it rocket on target you knew the guy was beat ... he ended up being beat really bad

also, that quote doesn't lound like taking all the credit either .... he was pumped he made a great play, so were his teamates ..... the crowd was also jazzed about it .... the game featured two HRs and two stand out defensive plays ..... it would be tough to judge what got the most reaction .... i think many felt the bautista catch was the most exciting thing all night

Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Joe Buck passionately hates baseball, and is doing everything humanly possible to make the same seem dull, boring and insipid, and sabotaging the game in one of its most visibly glorious moments.

They cut away from the poolside interview with Justin Timberlake, to show the pitches. That was a nice touch.
joe buck is a moron.

the whole broadcast was a promo for Fox related movies and other properties.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
joe buck is a moron.

the whole broadcast was a promo for Fox related movies and other properties.
That's why Fox schedules the game to air in their prime time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball