Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,282,613 times

Advertisements

is it really a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,131,275 times
and if he played and went hitless he would have been critized

Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 PM

2,251 posts, read 6,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
and if he played and went hitless he would have been critized
Yup you woulda heard everyone saying he didn't deserve the position in the first place

As a Yankee fan I'm glad he's out resting...I want him at full strength going into the second half. No point going to hot a$$ Arizona if you don't have to lol

Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,382,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
is it really a big deal?
Not to me since he's, at best and my most generous, the 5th best SS in the AL.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM

3,815 posts, read 4,734,077 times
The problem people have with it is he was voted in by the fans and didn't bother showing up. I would have no problem with him not playing. If I was a Yankees fan I wouldn't want him to play. Only reason I was happy to see Kershaw pitch was because the Dodgers are basically out of it. If the Dodgers wree leading the division I would have liked to see him rest during this time.

But I think players have an obligation to show up if they are voted in. That's just me. If he had surgery like A Rod I could understand. But he should have been there. I lost a lot of respect for Jeter because of this.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,305,554 times
If anything he's getting a bit of a free pass because he has always been so accomodating

He was voted in by the fans .... this is an event for the fans ... if they want you there, you should be there

Shane Victorino showed up

All Jeter had to do was take a private jet, get a limo from the airport to one of the best resorts in the country, from there he could enjoy spa treatments, fantastic restaurants, etc ..... then take a few hours to interact with the fans, the other players and cheer on his teamates ..... tip his cap, get a big recognition for 3,000 hits and a great career and then watch a ball game before flying back on his private jet to enjoy the rest of his break

but instead he chose to fly to miami

it's a bit of a slap in the face to those fans who voted you in

Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,400,648 times
One thing I dislike about the All-Star voting process is that it sometimes becomes a popularity poll. Otherwise, Jeter would have not been selected this year. But I believe he should have made an appearance at the game as a gesture of appreciation to the fans, even if he chose not to play.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,305,554 times
the rosters are so large and there are so many rules about who cannot play I really don't have too much issue about the fan vote for the starters ..... however, with the "game meaning something" I'm not so sure if the fans should have that much of a say

IMO, it should be an exhibition for the fans - as such the fans should have a say and beyond that it should be an honor to those having great seasons .... it's a difficult balance

Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM

345 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
The problem people have with it is he was voted in by the fans and didn't bother showing up. I would have no problem with him not playing. If I was a Yankees fan I wouldn't want him to play. Only reason I was happy to see Kershaw pitch was because the Dodgers are basically out of it. If the Dodgers wree leading the division I would have liked to see him rest during this time.

But I think players have an obligation to show up if they are voted in. That's just me. If he had surgery like A Rod I could understand. But he should have been there. I lost a lot of respect for Jeter because of this.
I completely agree with this. If you get voted in show up, it's your responsibility. Plus, he just came off the DL. Does he really need more rest and more time to "heal". Its for the fans, do it.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,131,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
the rosters are so large and there are so many rules about who cannot play I really don't have too much issue about the fan vote for the starters ..... however, with the "game meaning something" I'm not so sure if the fans should have that much of a say

IMO, it should be an exhibition for the fans - as such the fans should have a say and beyond that it should be an honor to those having great seasons .... it's a difficult balance
i agree, that's all it should ever be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball