Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: favorite baseball movie
Field of dreams 6 15.00%
Bull Durham 6 15.00%
the Natural 3 7.50%
Bad News Bears (the original) 3 7.50%
Major League 3 7.50%
eight men out 6 15.00%
the sandlot 4 10.00%
a league of there own 3 7.50%
damn Yankees 1 2.50%
other (please specify) 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

I voted for The Natural. Although, it is partially because it makes me nostalgic for my youth. It was filmed in Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium where I went as a kid to watch our AAA minor league team (before it was closed after the 1987 season).

Besides that, the next two I love to see are Field of Dreams and Major League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
I voted Field of Dreams. I really enjoyed Sand Lot though not just because of the baseball aspect but because of the time period they did the movie.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Never thought of it that way ... So why do I love The Natural, but hate Field of Dreams? LOL
I liked The Natural in a compartmentalized sort of way. I really enjoyed the performances of Wilford Brimley and Richard Farnsworth as the manager and coach. The scene where the batboy offers his homemade model to replace the broken Wonderboy was a nice touch. The staging of the lightstand shattering homerun was a visual spectacular. Where I didn't like it was most of the scenes off the ballfield, all the allegorical seduction and Sampson/Delilah homage was off putting to me. None of it was ever explained, you just had to guess that somehow Glen Close standing up in the grandstand imparted waves of purifying, rejuvinating power.

Field of Dreams on the other hand, had far less in the way of redemptive compartmentalized moments, and far more of the hokey spiritualistic forces at work, and it also failed to explain how any of it worked. In the novel on which the film was based, the James Earl Jones character is J.D. Salinger and I was looking forward to see how this famous recluse would be portrayed on screen. By casting Jones for the part, they had to change the character to Terry Mann. That annoyed me, and I also didn't like Jones' performance, he was in a perpetual snit.

At bottom, I didn't like Field of Dreams for exactly the same reasons that I didn't like Edward Scissorhands, Ghost or Its A Wonderful Life. I personally subscribe to no theories of forces at work outside of natural law and it seems to me that it is just lazy writing when you can solve all of your plot problems by having something impossible happen.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
When my wife and I were dating the first movie we saw together was The Natural, which seems an odd selection as she has no interest team sports. I might not have known that then but I think she chose the film. Anyway that final home run scene brought the story full circle and it wasn't a bad film. Not a great one either.

Judging from the audiences during my days as a movie house manager I'd say that League Of Their Own was quite popular and well received. That's also the one that gets my personal vote. It was a fun film to watch.

For an older film I'd give honorable mention to Fear Strikes Out. (1957) Tony Perkins and Karl Malden both delivered strong performances as Jimmy Piersall and his dad with a rather difficult story line. I saw it as a kid and didn't care for it. When viewed as an adult I had a far better understanding of what was happening.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
it is just lazy writing when you can solve all of your plot problems by having something impossible happen.
Guess you don't watch soap operas, then? LOL

Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Bringing thread up to date to to merge w/ a newer similar thread!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
The Sandlot is hilarious, and Major League is filled with memorable lines.

My father passed away almost 8 years ago, so I cannot watch the end of Field of Dreams (where Ray gets to play catch with his father one last time) without breaking down.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Jeez. I just watched "The Fan", with DeNiro, Snipes and John Kruk. Absolutely the hokiest baseball movie Ive ever seen. (Maybe the hokiest picture period.) Cal Ripken Jr credited as baseball consultant. I can't believe the he would allow a single frame of that POS to be released in connection with his name. If Osama Bin Laden had been hired as the baseball consultant, he'd have run out of the room screaming about how unrealistic it was. I just kept watching to see how bad it could actually get

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Jeez. I just watched "The Fan", with DeNiro, Snipes and John Kruk. Absolutely the hokiest baseball movie Ive ever seen. (Maybe the hokiest picture period.) Cal Ripken Jr credited as baseball consultant. I can't believe the he would allow a single frame of that POS to be released in connection with his name. If Osama Bin Laden had been hired as the baseball consultant, he'd have run out of the room screaming about how unrealistic it was. I just kept watching to see how bad it could actually get
I certainly agree that "The Fan" was a god awful motion picture. However, before you certify it the worst ever, I must ask, have you not seen "The Slugger's Wife?" It is the sort of picture where after viewing it, the only discussion centers on which was worst, the acting, the script or the direction.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
I saw Damn Yankees when I was a kid, really cool oldie of a movie.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball