Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nyjer Morgan, aka Tony Plush Love Him or Hate Him
Love Him 2 50.00%
Hate Him 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The man's first name was Salvador, which satisfied the criteria. I could have also used Germany Schaeffer, but then it would have been so easy, even you would have gotten it. Chili Davis' first name was Charles. It was a trick question, OK?
I laughed IRL at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
The man's first name was Salvador, which satisfied the criteria. I could have also used Germany Schaeffer, but then it would have been so easy, even you would have gotten it. Chili Davis' first name was Charles. It was a trick question, OK?
That would make you a trick questioner.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That would make you a trick questioner.
So now you are forewarned.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
So now you are forewarned.
What is a forewarning? Is that the warning you do before you warn someone about something?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM

If you encounter a standard English word you do not understand or know the meaning of, look it up in a dictionary.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If you encounter a standard English word you do not understand or know the meaning of, look it up in a dictionary.
I'm challenging its utility, not its legitimacy.

The dictionary defines "warn" as:

Quote:
warn   /wɔrn/ Show Spelled[wawrn]
verb (used with object)
1. to give notice, advice, or intimation to (a person, group, etc.) of danger, impending evil, possible harm, or anything else unfavorable:
See? "danger"..."impending"..."possible"...all references to future events.

In that a warning against something which has already taken place isn't a warning any longer, it is just criticism, it follows that to be a warning, it must take place in advance of the event.

I had already looked forewarn up in the dictionary, that inspired my post.

Quote:
fore·warn   /fɔrˈwɔrn, foʊr-/ Show Spelled[fawr-wawrn, fohr-] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to warn in advance.
Since to be a warning, it must take place in advance, the word "warning" serves the purpose perfectly. Tacking on "fore" is a redundant act and suggests, as I noted, that a forewarning is a warning about a coming warning. "Watch out. In five minutes I'm going to warn you about something."

We're covered. We don't need "fore." It is excess baggage.

You are now foreadvised of this.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm challenging its utility, not its legitimacy.

The dictionary defines "warn" as:

See? "danger"..."impending"..."possible"...all references to future events.

In that a warning against something which has already taken place isn't a warning any longer, it is just criticism, it follows that to be a warning, it must take place in advance of the event.

I had already looked forewarn up in the dictionary, that inspired my post.

Since to be a warning, it must take place in advance, the word "warning" serves the purpose perfectly. Tacking on "fore" is a redundant act and suggests, as I noted, that a forewarning is a warning about a coming warning. "Watch out. In five minutes I'm going to warn you about something."

We're covered. We don't need "fore." It is excess baggage.

You are now foreadvised of this.
But I didn't coin the word. If I had, you would have a point, but it is a legitimate and valid word in the English language, and I am entitled to use it with its accepted meaning, without jeopardy of ridicule for doing so. Even though the word by itself appears to have, as a linguistic quirk, advanced through the lexicon despite its seeming redundancy.

Note the context in which I used the word. I reminded you that your discovery of my being a trick questioner forewarned you to be cognizant of that characterization in advance of any future misunderstanding about the potential for trickery in my questions. Perfectly legitimate usage. As of the moment of your reading my confession as an interrogative mountebank, you became forewarned amply in advance of the next occurrence of chicanery by which you might have otherwise been an unwitting and mortified victim of my behavior. Any future protests about my trick questioning will be subject to the general advisory that "you have been forewarned", the meaning of which is fully contingent on dictionary definitions of all terms employed, and which retains its validity without an expiration date, into an indefinite future, tacitly renewable with each occurrence.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-05-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM

jtur:
Quote:
I am entitled to use it with its accepted meaning, without jeopardy of ridicule for doing so.
You have a "Get Out of Ridicule Free" card?

Could you trace the legal history of this "entitlement?" What were some of the key court decisions which established this right? What are the prescribed punishments for violating the no ridicule aspect of the laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball