Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They would have thrown it a lot sooner than the 12th inning, if that was their intention,

In a time when tributes are getting harder and harder to find, I think the Yankees and the Phillies are deserving of high accolades for hanging in there for 12 and 13 inning to try to win those games and have them decided on merit.

And nobody hates the Yankees more than I do.
Er, what happened in the 8th? That started the whole thing (at least for last night)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I don't think there's a conspiracy here. In order for a conspiracy to have occurred the Yankees would have had to commit a high number of errors in purpose for the Rays to get men on base. Those errors would have been so evident to the whole viewing world. The Rays hit 3 home runs because of skill and a pinch of luck. Meanwhile in Baltimore the Red Sucks just collapsed. Spending big bucks on Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez didn't work out. . How are all of those bandwagon Bo Sucks fans that were in Baltimore that over celebrated on every strike, out, hit and run feeling today?? You saw them pulling their jersey at the chest to the cameras- proclaiming their 'allegiance' to the team.

-Cheers.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
The history between these two teams are pretty toxic, there
is no reason at all to think something fishy happened with the Braves/Phils/Cards/Astros....but again, Tampa being down 6 to 0 in the 8th? Yanks haven't blown a lead that late, since, before color TV was even invented....

Old 09-29-2011, 01:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
The fact they were up 7-0 late in the game I think pretty much rules out they were trying to throw the game.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The history between these two teams are pretty toxic, there
is no reason at all to think something fishy happened with the Braves/Phils/Cards/Astros....but again, Tampa being down 6 to 0 in the 8th? Yanks haven't blown a lead that late, since, before color TV was even invented....
Are you familiar with "Occam's Razor?" It is the law of parsimony which holds that when dealing with two explanations for an event, the one which requires you to make the fewest number of improbable assumptions is the more likely explanation.

Apply that to this situation...which requires you to believe in fewer improbabilities....

A) That the Yankees, not employing their best relief pitchers, blew a seven run lead in the late innings.

or

B) That NY planned to lose the game on purpose, that so confident were they in their ability to control the scoring of runs by the opposition that they ran up a seven to nothing lead and held it until the 8th inning when Tampa Bay had only six outs left in which to score at least seven runs. That NY, after deliberately arranging for Longoria and Johnson to hit homeruns, decided that they were still in so much control of the outcome that they could then toy with the Rays for several extra innings before finally once more relaxing their infallibility and allowing Tampa Bay to score another run.

Further, B also requires a conspiracy involving how many people? Did the front office instruct the NY players to lose or was this determined by the players themselves?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip72 View Post
considering the yankees only have one off day before they begin their playoff series, i can understand their desire to rest key players or only play them for part of the game.

If the red sox don't lose 6 out of 7 games to tampa bay in september, or for that matter 5 out of 7 games to baltimore in the last 1 1/2 weeks, what happened in last night's rays/yankees game is a moot point.

this.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
If the Red Sox dont screw the whole month of September, we dont even have this conversation...so its a moot point either way.

But I am a Rays fan...so I am not thinking about rats!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I live in Tampa and I'm excited for the Rays, but the same thought crossed my mind. I don't like to think about it, but the Yankees might have rolled over to help out the Rays. It makes sense.
No it doesn't - they (NYY) had nothing to gain by playing Rivera.

Did you expect them to sacrifice using up their bullpen for a meaningless game for them? Their next series against Detroit will likely need their pitching staff well rested and ready for action.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
If Boston had won just two more games in September, the Rays/Yankees series is a non-issue.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
I'm mad at myself for even reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball