Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,505,705 times

Advertisements

Is there even a 1% chance that the Yankees hate the Red Sox so much that they threw that game last nite on purpose? That was the biggest lead they blew in a game in 57 years, seems fishy. Not using Rivera in the 9th makes me wonder about this more.....
I'm not a big Red Sox fan, but I don't care for the Yankees at all.....seems fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,763,738 times
Honestly at this point i would think the Yanks would rather see the Sox as opposed to the Rays in the playoffs

Dont buy it

Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,254,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly at this point i would think the Yanks would rather see the Sox as opposed to the Rays in the playoffs

Dont buy it
This

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,018,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Is there even a 1% chance that the Yankees hate the Red Sox so much that they threw that game last nite on purpose? That was the biggest lead they blew in a game in 57 years, seems fishy. Not using Rivera in the 9th makes me wonder about this more.....
I'm not a big Red Sox fan, but I don't care for the Yankees at all.....seems fishy.
You are working under the assumption that the Yankees had any sort of obligations to any team other than themselves. They do not. If they viewed the game as an exhibition warm up for the playoffs, that is their right. If they wanted to rest certain pitchers in order to enhance their effectiveness in post season games which count for NY, while using other players to complete their games which made no difference to them...why shouldn't they? NY owes nothing to Tampa Bay, owes nothing to Boston.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,505,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You are working under the assumption that the Yankees had any sort of obligations to any team other than themselves. They do not. If they viewed the game as an exhibition warm up for the playoffs, that is their right. If they wanted to rest certain pitchers in order to enhance their effectiveness in post season games which count for NY, while using other players to complete their games which made no difference to them...why shouldn't they? NY owes nothing to Tampa Bay, owes nothing to Boston.
Of course Boston needs to take care of their own business,......but, if the shoes where reversed and Boston didn't use Papelbon, I think Yankee fans would go WTF?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM

143 posts, read 301,893 times
The Yankees were playing the same game they would have played if they had been playing the Red Sox. They were resting some of their starters and getting ready for the playoffs. They would never have used Mariano Rivera in this game. But they always want to win. Trust me. That team hates losing.

If they were really trying to lose this game, would they have had a 7-0 lead?

Quite frankly, they'd probably rather face the Red Sox in the second round than the Rays, although they did clobber Price last night. The Rays are full of confidence right now, just delighted with themselves. Do you think the Yankees would rather play the beat-up Red Sox or the buzz-saw Rays?

The Red Sox played horribly all through September (and I'm a Yankee fan, and I never saw that coming. I'm shocked, too). However, when the Red Sox played the Yankees last weekend, they looked like a lost team. They looked defeated before they even began. They didn't hit, pitch or field the ball well. It was actually disturbing to watch.

Both the Red Sox and Braves have only themselves to blame. Yes, the Rays and Cards played well to get here, but they would never have gotten to the playoffs if both the Sox and Braves hadn't imploded.

Both the Sox and Braves lost excruciatingly painful games last night , but let's be fair, they didn't lose their seasons on one bad night, but playing badly throughout September. Don't blame the Yankees or Orioles or Phillies or anyone else. The Red Sox and Braves fell apart.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,072,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I live in Tampa and I'm excited for the Rays, but the same thought crossed my mind. I don't like to think about it, but the Yankees might have rolled over to help out the Rays. It makes sense.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,716,788 times
They would have thrown it a lot sooner than the 12th inning, if that was their intention,

In a time when tributes are getting harder and harder to find, I think the Yankees and the Phillies are deserving of high accolades for hanging in there for 12 and 13 inning to try to win those games and have them decided on merit.

And nobody hates the Yankees more than I do.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,832,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Dont buy it
Yep.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,214,598 times
Considering the Yankees only have one off day before they begin their playoff series, I can understand their desire to rest key players or only play them for part of the game.

If the Red Sox don't lose 6 out of 7 games to Tampa Bay in September, or for that matter 5 out of 7 games to Baltimore in the last 1 1/2 weeks, what happened in last night's Rays/Yankees game is a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball