Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

1. Is this 2010 team better than the 2008 team?

2. Are they good enough to come out the AL east?

I'm asking because in 2009 they missed the playoffs and only won 84 games and was wondering what they did in the offseason to come back to battle the Yankees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I like Tampa Bay, specifically because the so-called "experts" never figure on them to do anything. They justify my belief that what you really need to win is a team that plays like a team--it's not necessary to sign a locker-room full of All-Stars and celebrities. Just go out there and play baseball!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:49 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I like Tampa Bay, specifically because the so-called "experts" never figure on them to do anything. They justify my belief that what you really need to win is a team that plays like a team--it's not necessary to sign a locker-room full of All-Stars and celebrities. Just go out there and play baseball!
You're listening to the wrong experts

http://www.baseballprojection.com/20...ndings2010.htm
Rays 88 - 74; 3rd in the AL East; 4th most wins in baseball

Organizational Rankings: #2 | FanGraphs Baseball
Prior to the 2009 season, Fangraphs says that the Rays are the 2nd strongest organization in MLB
Quote:
#2: Tampa Bay Rays
Overall: A

A smart front office, the best young group of major league talent in baseball, and a top notch farm system gives the franchise an embarrassment of riches. They don’t have room for all their quality players. Their depth is ridiculous, yet there are few weaknesses on the major league roster that could use an upgrade. The team’s revenue streams aren’t up there with the big boys, but their remarkable talent overcomes that limitation. The Rays are for real, and they’re going to put a contending team on the field for the next half decade at least.
Five Questions: Tampa Bay Rays
I can't find a link to the actual PECOTA projections, which is (what I was really looking for) odd, but this article published in March of 2008 says what I wanted to say:
Quote:
2. Is Andrew Friedman the new Billy Beane?

Perhaps that’s a bit hyperbolic—Friedman likely won’t have a book written about his approach on market efficiency anytime soon—but you have to admire the job the first-time general manager has done with some of the lowest payrolls even for the Rays’ meager history. Friedman has managed to combine talented prospects with a few steady veterans and some breakout candidates to the extent that PECOTA sees the Rays winning 88 games while only “paying” around $2 million per victory.
Rays final records:
2005: 67 - 95
2006: 61 - 101
2007: 66 - 96
Article Published
2008: 97 - 65

The experts see the Rays for what they are: an enormously talented, very well run team that will be in the thick of things in the AL East for the foreseeable future.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
The Rays need to move from Tampa to a real city. They have to give tickets away so that people will show up.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

I'm asking because in 2009 they missed the playoffs and only won 84 games and was wondering what they did in the offseason to come back to battle the Yankees?
Pretty simple answer: Benoit and Soriano. In 2009, their bullpen gave away a ton of games - now, not so much.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
The Rays need to move from Tampa to a real city. They have to give tickets away so that people will show up.
That's part of the problem - there's a long list of reasons why they're not packing fans in the Trop. The biggest issue is the economy, then the location of the stadium in St Pete.

As for providing tickets - that only happened on one day, sort of a fan appreciation/sample the product day to give some people a taste of baseball if they've never gone to MLB.

Recently, the Rays tickets were found to be the most affordable ticket in sports, so you can't blame the organization.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
that will be in the thick of things in the AL East for the foreseeable future.
I'm not so sure about that. They've already said that they need to cut payroll and will have to let Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena leave via free agency after this season. They do have a very well-run organization, so maybe they have some prospects that will step in and do well, but I will bet that there's a drop off next year with losing 2 of their biggest sluggers.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Florida is just a horrible place for baseball...the fact that the Rays have one of the best teams in baseball and can't get fans is pathetic. Giving away tickets just to get people in the seats?? In Philly, you have to sell your soul just to get tickets. I could see the Rays pitiful attendance if they were still losing 95 games a year, but with this team, and the affordable prices, they should be packing them in, no matter if their stadium is the newest style or not.

And then the Marlins, a very successful organization, yet they can't outdraw little league games. I think its just that people down there aren't really into baseball, and the people there that are baseball fans more than likely moved from somewhere else and only show up to Rays/Marlins games when their team is in town...see all the Yankees and Red Sox fans at Rays games, and Phillies fans at Marlins games.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Florida does not have real cities. I visited downtown Tampa once and it was a ghost town. The Rays really deserve a better location.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Florida does not have real cities. I visited downtown Tampa once and it was a ghost town. The Rays really deserve a better location.
I have heard people throw around the idea of moving a 2nd team to Philly. I think the Rays would draw better in Philly than in Tampa. Think about it, the AAA Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs drew just under a million fans this year for minor league baseball, just 45 minutes from Philly. The Trenton Thunder also draw well, not all that far from Philly. I think putting an AL East team, with a lot of games against the Yankees and Red Sox, in either central Jersey or the northern suburbs of Philly (which could also draw from the Lehigh Valley and Poconos), would do well. Philly is the largest market with only one team. But the Phillies ownership wouldn't stand for it, and they would have to give their approval seeing that its in their territory. And I would guess a team in central Jersey would also have to be approved by the Yankees and Mets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball