Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

.... uh, yeah. And this is REAL, folks. When the Marlins open their new park and hit one out, this 'Shroom inspired display will pop up.

There's Miami's tax dollars at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
As a casual Marlins fan I must say this looks like something out of south park. Obviously they are trying to appeal to the SoBe crowd.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
another thread (sorta) on this already

sounds like it will be a fixed feature and not pop out as originally planned

like most public works these days they put some "public arts" money into the stadium - a good portion of that went to the CF HR feature .... once you heard that Red Grooms won the contract you sort of expected something like this ...... downside of having an art collector owner

some of the public arts things are kind of cool though .... here is some more detail

Miami Scores with Marlins Art

I really like the orange bowl tribute

They are definitely trying for a pretty bold re-brand .... I don't think I'll love most of it ... however, I love it more than the team playing in Portland, San Antonio or some other such place and as long as Stanton and company give that thing a good workout, I really don't care

Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
another thread (sorta) on this already

sounds like it will be a fixed feature and not pop out as originally planned

like most public works these days they put some "public arts" money into the stadium - a good portion of that went to the CF HR feature .... once you heard that Red Grooms won the contract you sort of expected something like this ...... downside of having an art collector owner

some of the public arts things are kind of cool though .... here is some more detail

Miami Scores with Marlins Art

I really like the orange bowl tribute

They are definitely trying for a pretty bold re-brand .... I don't think I'll love most of it ... however, I love it more than the team playing in Portland, San Antonio or some other such place and as long as Stanton and company give that thing a good workout, I really don't care
Yeah it is a pretty nice tribute to the old Orange Bowl. Just can't forget a classic stadium like that.

And now Marlins fans certainly wont have to worry about their team moving anywhere.

Tampa Bay on the other hand....

Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And now Marlins fans certainly wont have to worry about their team moving anywhere.
Really? What makes you think so? In the age of the mobile franchise, when pouting and threatening to move away if the city doesn't cave in to every little whim and demand, there's no reason to think the Marlins are set beyond the next three or four years.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
I'll be surprised if the Marlins ever receive more than token support. And after what happened back in 1998, who could blame them?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 AM

'98 is irrelevant, quite frankly

like any franchise in Miami they will have to win AND have some pop to them to consistently sell out .... I expect them to be a middle of the pack franchise as far as attendance with big pops if they are in the hunt late or if they come off a good season

as for their future security - yes it's stable ... I don't know how anyone can say otherwise

it's a market that MLB is obviously committed towards, there is no viable place for really any franchise to move (florida explored this extensively in hopes to gain leverage), even if there was a viable place you have other teams that would look first, plus they have a baseball specific stadium, with favorable revenue breakouts and a fairly strong lease holding them there

both sides are pretty well tied in and protected

it took a shade under 20 years, but the Marlins finally have their home ... if they lasted that long in a very bad situation, it's kind of dopey to say that they could be gone in 5 now that they have what they were looking for

Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Really? What makes you think so? In the age of the mobile franchise, when pouting and threatening to move away if the city doesn't cave in to every little whim and demand, there's no reason to think the Marlins are set beyond the next three or four years.
Kinda hard to back out of a brand new ballpark and make up the cost.

Who knows, really? I just have more of a positive outlook on this.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM

not more positive - just one that is cemented into reality

especially when you consider that no team is just going to abandon their sunk cost after a couple years and a revenue stream that is favorable

they didn't move when playing at Dolphin Stadium and surviving 3 ownership groups .... but now they have their own place they are gone?!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:32 PM

131 posts, read 447,167 times
WOW! I think the ownership should be drug tested if both this Logo and sickening Home Run Visual are truly going to be used. I thought Loria was some kind of an art collector/dealer. It's got to be a joke nobody has taste this bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball