Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rangers vs Cards?
Rangers! 35 56.45%
Cards! 22 35.48%
My team lost but I like Cake! 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:22 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Freese's game most clutch in Series history - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Going by win probability added, last night we witnessed the most clutch performance of all World Series time. Further, the game also contained the # 3 all time...by Lance Berkman.
The top five:
Quote:
1. David Freese, Cardinals, Game 6, 2011 (.969 WPA): Two-out, two-run triple in the bottom of the ninth, game-winning home run in the 11th. Not a bad day at the balllpark.

2. Kirk Gibson, Dodgers, Game 1, 1988 (.870): Two outs, bottom of the ninth, down by one, runner on base, Dennis Eckersley throws a backdoor slider ...

3. Lance Berkman, Cardinals, Game 6, 2011 (.832): Because the Cardinals staged two dramatic, two-out comebacks, Berkman's heroics also score high. He had a key walk in the ninth, tied it in the 10th with his two-out single and also hit a two-run homer in the first.

4. Charlie Keller, Yankees, Game 4, 1941 (.826): This is the famous game in which Mickey Owen dropped the third strike, leading to the Yankees scoring four runs in the ninth to win 7-4. Keller hit a two-out, two-run go-ahead double in the ninth, and also had an RBI single in the first during a 4-for-5 game.

5. Cookie Lavagetto, Dodgers, Game 4, 1947 (.822): Lavagetto's pinch-hit two-out, two-run double in the bottom of the ninth broke up Bill Bevens' no-hit bid and gave Brooklyn a 3-2 victory.
That is the scientific outlook on the game. Departing from the empircal coverage, we have:
2011 World Series -- Texas Rangers Josh Hamilton says God called HR - ESPN Dallas
Quote:
"He told me, 'You haven't hit one in a while, and this is the time you're going to,' " said Hamilton, who had gone 65 at-bats in the postseason without a home run. "You know what? I probably had the most relaxed, peaceful at-bat I've had of the whole series at that moment. It's pretty cool. You ought to try it sometime."
I love how chatty the Divine Entity is...."You haven't hit one in a while...so.."

Last edited by Grandstander; 10-28-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Freese's game most clutch in Series history - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Going by win probability added, last night we witnessed the most clutch hit of all World Series time. Further, the game also contained the # 3 all time...by Lance Berkman.
The top five:
At least Gibson still has the most clutch hit.

Quote:
That is the scientific outlook on the game. Departing from the empircal coverage, we have:
2011 World Series -- Texas Rangers Josh Hamilton says God called HR - ESPN Dallas

I love how chatty the Divine Entity is...."You haven't hit one in a while...so.."
http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads...meh.ro5565.jpg

Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
I hope that for game 7 the commentators will stop the constant mentioning that it might be Pujols last at-bat as a Cardinal. As if he was going to depart from this planet. That was annoying.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
As the greatest game in series history, the Mazeroski game tops it, even before Mazeroski ever came to bat.

Pirates ahead 4-0, then Yankees ahead 7-4, then Hal Smith's 3-tun homer gives Pirates an 8th inning lead 9-7, after Bill Virdon's double-play grounder bounced up and hit Tony Kubek in the throat. Then Yankees score tying run in bottom of ninth as Mantle miraculously dives back onto first, eluding Rocky Nelson's tag that would have won the game and the Series for the Pirates. In Mantle's entire career, that dive was the most unbelievable, spectaular, and important play I ever saw Mantle make. If Nelson tags Mantle, Pirates win and Mazeroski never comes to bat. In the whole series, the Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27.

Here's the Mantle picture: Bases loaded, one out, 9-8 Yankees, bottom of ninth. Berra grounds to Nelson, who steps on first for second out. Looks for McDougald heading for the plate, but says he lost the play in the background shirtsleeves. Turns around looking for Mantle, who is diving back into first as the tying run score. If he tags Mantle, the game ends, 9-8 Pirates, and the series is over.

To me, Mantle getting back to first, eluding the tag, is the #1 clutch play in WS history. See the Mantle play at the 8:30 mark in this video of game 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8lqTnrpBc

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
At least Gibson still has the most clutch hit.

I suppose that could be open to interpretation when you consider that Gibson's heroics came in Game One of the '88 Series, while Freese was performing in a lose and your season is over dynamic.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I hope that for game 7 the commentators will stop the constant mentioning that it might be Pujols last at-bat as a Cardinal. As if he was going to depart from this planet. That was annoying.
NotHawk Hawk Harrelson
WILL THAT BE THE LAST WALK-OFF HOME RUN DAVID FREESE EVER HITS WITH ALBERT PUJOLS IN A CARDINALS UNIFORM?
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I was thinking last night that Game 6 was the Cards and Rangers way of telling the rest of the nation to "Hug a root - we'll have a blast without you".
EXCELLENT post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I've always been a Lance Berkman fan dating back to his time with the Astros. So I would cringe every time he got to the plate. I thought to my self, I understand walking Pujos but don't under estimate Lance...and sure enough he knocks one out of the park

Anyhow, this is really turning into a series for the books and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's final game.

So who our starting pictures? Carpenter and Holland?
Berkman was great on the postgame last night.. said he was ready to go right back out then and start game 7. Adrenalin is your friend, especially at his age.

I don't think Holland will start after pitching last night. Washington has stuck with his choices of starting pitchers even after the rain delay, etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:51 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
It looks like Cruz and Naploi will being playing tonight which is good.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
It looks like Cruz and Naploi will being playing tonight which is good.
I turned my ankle like Nap did when I was in my early 20s (really athletic), and I was on crutches for about a week.

It must be a different world when you have the trainers and meds that they have.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Wow...so far it's like dejavu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball