Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about Game 6?
Great game! 12 63.16%
Ugly game 2 10.53%
Combination of both 5 26.32%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

There's been some debate about last night's game.

Some think that it was an amazing game filled with drama and tension. It certainly featured comeback after comeback. Twice the Cardinals were down to their last strike, yet they were able to win.

but

There were also plenty of mistakes. From the managers: Washington not hitting for Lewis, LaRussa bringing in Edwin Jackson to pinch hit just to take him out to have Lohse hit. From the players: Nelson Cruz' attempt to catch Freese's fly ball was not particularly impressive.

In your opinion, was this a great world series game or was it marred by the errors?

EDIT:
Similarly, this is a great thread marred by my lack of understanding of the Gregorian calendar.

Maybe a mod can help a brother out and change the thread title to the correct year. :-/

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: title fixed... ;)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
What is the operative definition of great? How entertaned the audience was? Then it was a great game. Is the definition "How well was it played?'...then it wasn't so great.

Quote:
Similarly, this is a great thread marred by my lack of understanding of the Gregorian calendar.
Nah, its a mediocre thread marred by your lack of understanding of the Gregorian calendar.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I listened/watched to a fair amount of the game last night ..... it was very sloppy early, a lot of mistakes throughout

was definitely entertaining, dramatic and captivating

however, when I turned on the radio to hear it proclaimed as one of the best baseball games of all time I couldn't agree

it was a game though that really helps define the seasons of both teams, especially st. louis - come from behind, scrappy, had the big larussa thumbprint on it

however, the game will be framed by what happens tonight ... if St. Louis loses it will be the lasting memory for a good season and a moment that defined what the team was about ..... for the greater history it will be remembered, but diminished in importance

if St. Louis wins it will be local forklore and will be mentioned whenever this team is mentioned, but would still fall behind some other classic WS games IMO .... it would also be a reference point for Rangers fans about the one that got away .... if they lose tonight the details behind that loss would pale next to the thought of how they shouldn't have let it get that far

Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
.... it would also be a reference point for Rangers fans about the one that got away .... if they lose tonight the details behind that loss would pale next to the thought of how they shouldn't have let it get that far
There's a rite of passage for champions (and their fans). For those of us who remember begging Nelson Norman to get a single to drive in a run, much like hoping Jim Spanarkel can give the Mavs 25 to give us a chance against anyone, or the "great" front line of Terry Smith and Sean Rooks in the early 90s...

...all that to say, the building of a champion is like the labor pains of childbirth - and I believe Dallas (sans the Cowboys) can say we've really paid our dues.

If the last half century was one huge season, we'd be only 784 games back of the Yankees - a joke of a team for most of their existence. No need to mention the Mavs, the worst team of the 90s.

We can't truly appreciate the mountain unless we've gone through the valley, and if the Rangers can lift that trophy tonight, it'll be like a doctor finally raising that baby that's been delivered.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
One of the worst games in my 64 years of playing and watching. If I was Nolan Ryan, after the Rangers lose tonight, I'd fire everybody that has to do with the pitching staff and players. What good is a fast ball if you can't control it? And the Rangers have absolutely no one that can control it. And what's up with 5 errors in ONE game? If yer a Cardinals fan, I'm sure you see it as a great game- yer team beat out a lousy pitching staff that couldn't get on a first string high school team- whoopey!, I thought this was the World Series. And what happened to pitching high in the strike zone to the home run hitters? Makes a home run near impossible but does allow for more infield plays but that's also where your players are most concentrated. Where's Casey when ya need 'im!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Well, I've not watched hundreds of games, including many WS's that didn't include the Cardinals, but for my money, Game #6 was one hades of a game, indeed a "great" game. Was it THE greatest, ever? I dunno. But it was torture, thrilling, agonizing, exciting, and (in the end ) fun. These people think so too...

The Top 10 World Series Games, Including (Of Course) 2011 Game 6 - Baseball Nation

Old 10-28-2011, 11:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What is the operative definition of great?
Kinda what this totally scientific poll is designed to figure out.

Quote:
How entertaned the audience was?
This seems to be how most people define 'great' in this context

Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 PM

1,632 posts, read 483,499 times
They should of never brought Ogando, who's proved to be unreliable during this World Series in, and shouldn't of took Derek Holland out in the 8th to save some pitches...

I'm not watching ESPN for weeks.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,756 times
This was one Great WS game in my time,... however, my bestest is 1986 WS, Game 6, bar none.

Last edited by mig1; 10-31-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
One of the worst games in my 64 years of playing and watching. If I was Nolan Ryan, after the Rangers lose tonight, I'd fire everybody that has to do with the pitching staff and players. What good is a fast ball if you can't control it? And the Rangers have absolutely no one that can control it. And what's up with 5 errors in ONE game? If yer a Cardinals fan, I'm sure you see it as a great game- yer team beat out a lousy pitching staff that couldn't get on a first string high school team- whoopey!, I thought this was the World Series. And what happened to pitching high in the strike zone to the home run hitters? Makes a home run near impossible but does allow for more infield plays but that's also where your players are most concentrated. Where's Casey when ya need 'im!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball