Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: All Star Home-Field Advantage Rule Yes or No?
Yes, I Agree with the new rule. 4 23.53%
No, I disagree with the new rule. 13 76.47%
Who cares, my team won and I want my cake. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Just using regular season record doesn't account for differences in strength of the divisions teams play in.

If the Cardinals
were in the AL West and the Rangers were in the NL Central, the Cardinals certainly wouldn't have needed
to have been gifted a playoff birth and Texas would have had a much tougher time winning the division.

That not to say, at all, the the This Time it Counts thing is anything resembling a good idea.
Of course if you switch the best team in one division with the second best team in another division the weaker division will seem stronger and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
In any series, the home field advantage should go to the team that wins it on their own by some performance criteria.

Or, home field could be offset by some other potential benefit, like the football coin toss where one team gets to choose receive, and the other gets to choose goal to defend.

In the WS, one team could take home field, and the other would then get to choose the game date schedule, and elect to either include travel dates, or play right through. For example, this year the Cardinals could have conceded home field, but chosen to play with enough open dates that Carpenter could pitch game 1, 4 and 7, with normal rest. Or the Rangers could win the toss and give the Cards home field, but elect to play the series on 7 consecutive dates with no open dates.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
I have always thought it was the dumbest idea. Why shouldnt a team be rewarded for its performance during the season?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I have always thought it was the dumbest idea. Why shouldnt a team be rewarded for its performance during the season?
Yeah, I agree. Texas had the better season, without question. In my opinion, Texas was probably the better team than St. Louis, but St. Louis was better for four games. I think home field has a major impact on baseball, especially on the WS, because it affects the way teams play defense and also the way they pitch. It's not like football or baseball where the home field is more psychological; in baseball, it's real. Knowing how to play the outfield; knowing how to play the infield; a pitcher knowing which parts of the field he can make a 'mistake' pitch and get away with it...that's home field in baseball. In the intra-league matchups it matters a little less, because there's familiarity between the league rivals. St. Louis had played in Milwaukee enough to overcome their advantage, but any other team would have had fits.

Nowhere else was this more apparent than in what turned out to be maybe the most critical play of the game, with Nelson Cruz's miscue that allowed the David Freese triple in game 6. In Arlington, he probably makes that play and Texas wins the title. In St. Louis, he doesn't know where the wall is, and he's feeling his way around the park and dealing with the strange lights in the park. I'm not making excuses for Texas. I'm a Cards fan after all, but I do agree that the current format's not fair.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, I agree. Texas had the better season, without question. In my opinion, Texas was probably the better team than St. Louis, but St. Louis was better for four games. I think home field has a major impact on baseball, especially on the WS, because it affects the way teams play defense and also the way they pitch. It's not like football or baseball where the home field is more psychological; in baseball, it's real. Knowing how to play the outfield; knowing how to play the infield; a pitcher knowing which parts of the field he can make a 'mistake' pitch and get away with it...that's home field in baseball. In the intra-league matchups it matters a little less, because there's familiarity between the league rivals. St. Louis had played in Milwaukee enough to overcome their advantage, but any other team would have had fits.

Nowhere else was this more apparent than in what turned out to be maybe the most critical play of the game, with Nelson Cruz's miscue that allowed the David Freese triple in game 6. In Arlington, he probably makes that play and Texas wins the title. In St. Louis, he doesn't know where the wall is, and he's feeling his way around the park and dealing with the strange lights in the park. I'm not making excuses for Texas. I'm a Cards fan after all, but I do agree that the current format's not fair.
...Plus, it will determine which games the DH will be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball