Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
if he pitches well he'll be elsewhere in July
And if he doesn't the A's will be out whatever they paid him.

The value of the prospect coming back isn't likely to be much more than what they end up paying Colon.

It's a lottery ticket. Might be more productive to buy an actual lottery ticket.

one thought that did occur to me: Colon underwent the stem cell treatment prior to last year. By signing Colon the A's get access to his medical records. Perhaps the A's aren't as interested in Colon as a pitcher as they are as a case study to be used for future pitchers they are interested in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I understand the trade but I agree but you have to give something up to get something in return. We definitely have enough catchers in our system but not necessarily with the power of Montero but we picked up a potential solid #2 starter behind Sabathia. I saw Montero more as a DH considering we have so many strong defensive catchers in our minor league system. I wasn't crazy about Noesi, so in place of him we get a minor leaguer with great potential as well and maybe a couple years away. The way our starters are now it might be about the right time for him down the road.
Man, Montero just had that perfect Yankee stadium swing. For a right handed hitter, he hit the ball with power, and ease to right field, to me you have to find a position for him. Also why give up on his potential as a catcher, Piazza wasn't exactly a great catcher, but his power, and ability to hit for average made up for that. I'm just tired of seeing A-rod strike out with the bases loaded, and Tex and Swish going 2 for 60 in the post season. The yanks lost last season because they couldn't hit, not pitch..

Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Former Royals prospect Jeff Bianchi was recently claimed by the Milwaukee Brewers in a small minor move that likely won't make waves of any bearing. Still it's also the kind of move that could prove useful to some extent at the ML level as the Brewers hope that Bianchi's former potential comes through eventually.

Jim Breen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports, "The 25-year-old most recently played for the Kansas City Royals organization for their Double-A club. A former Top 10 prospect, according to FanGraphs in 2009, Bianchi hit .259/.320/.333 after missing the 2010 season to Tommy John surgery. I spoke with one minor league evaluator who said Bianchi probably doesn't have much left in the tank to have a future in the big leagues. He said that he's always had some hitting skill, but "is not a shortstop and has health issues."
Bianchi was the Royals second round choice in the 2005 MLB Draft. His best season came before Tommy John surgery in 2009 when he hit .315 at AA Northwest Arkansas.

It would be nice if this guy panned out in the next two years.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Phillies sign Joel Peniero to a minor league deal.

Sneaky good deal for Philly

Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM

The Colon deal is for $2 million guaranteed. Not sure what the incentives are.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Man, Montero just had that perfect Yankee stadium swing. For a right handed hitter, he hit the ball with power, and ease to right field, to me you have to find a position for him. Also why give up on his potential as a catcher, Piazza wasn't exactly a great catcher, but his power, and ability to hit for average made up for that. I'm just tired of seeing A-rod strike out with the bases loaded, and Tex and Swish going 2 for 60 in the post season. The yanks lost last season because they couldn't hit, not pitch..
Kevin Maas was also a stud for us years ago but the following year and after that he faded away. Hensley Muelens was a minor league star too but it never translated into major league success. I agree that he could be a star but as they say, you never have enough pitching.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Kevin Maas was also a stud for us years ago but the following year and after that he faded away.
I feel like we've had this conversation before.

In 1990 with the New York Yankees Kevin Maas hit .252/.367/.535 for a .902 OPS in 300 plate appearances. I assume this is the portion of his career in which you describe him as a 'stud'.

Over the rest of his career, 1148 plate appearances, Maas hit .224/.320/.393 for a .713 OPS.

In 1753 minor league plate appearances (prior to 1990) Maas hit .290/.378/.484 for a .864 OPS

It would have been absolutely unreasonable to expect Maas to continue hitting like he did for half of a season in 1990, ie better than he hit in the minors.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Oakland A's trade Guillermo Moscoso and Josh Outman to COL for OF Seth Smith
https://twitter.com/#!/Rockies/statu...79880174882817

While Josh Outman has a terrific name for a pitcher, he's nothing special.
In 2011 he:
K'd batters 20% less often than the league average
BB'd batters 23% more often than the league average
Gave up flyballs 20% more often than the league average
Not good for Coors Field

Moscoso makes even less sense for Colorado.
He K's batters 18% less often than an average pitcher
Walks batters 3% less often than an average pitcher
Gives up 52% more fly balls than an average pitcher.
Terrible for Coors field

Seth Smith is a quite solid player.
Between 2009 and 2011 he:
Walked 15% more than an average NL hitter
Struck out 9% less than an average NL hitter
Was 13% more productive than the average NL hitter

Smith, a lefty, does most of his damage against righties.
He walks 29% more often vs righties
He strikes out 19% less often vs righties
He is 44% more productive vs righties

This looks like a big win for Oakland. They just need to find a left-handed hitter to platoon with Smith.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 AM

A bunch of guys signing today in advance of the arbitration dead-line.

Cole Hamels for $15 mil + incentives
Andre Ethier for $11 mil + incentives
K-Rod for $8 mil + incentives
Michael Bourn for $7 mil (this seems like a steal)
David Murphy for $3.7 mil
Mike Pelfrey for $ 5.7 mil + incentives
Jordan Zimmermann for $2.3 mil
Jeff Karstens $3 mil

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Victor Martinez torn ACL. Will miss a significant part of the season.

Tigers may be looking to acquire a DH type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball