Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

Just remember who ripped the heart out of the cubs in 2003

Our fan bases have always been friendly - no shame in having a team to follow in both the AL & NL

Remember - the enemy of your enemy is your friend

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Heh, well that is true, since it was in 03, pre sox winning the WS, and I was a younger man, my cubs hate was strong then. I did thoroughly enjoy the Marlins ripping the cubs hearts out, but still this is annoying. I know its only two players, but these were two of the faces of the franchise, save PK of course, so it def stings to see them both go elsewhere. Seems like an indictment of the organization.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Also remember that ozzie was a coach on the 03 marlins and has a solid history with the organization pre-white sox .... for better or worse those two had run their course ...... still sucks to see cornerstones and popular players walk .... that was the marlins song for close to past 15 years

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Sad to see Buerhle go to the Marlins; he, along with Konerko, were the faces of the White Sox...

Time marches on....for all of us.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:22 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Sad to see Buerhle go to the Marlins; he, along with Konerko, were the faces of the White Sox...

Time marches on....for all of us.
They were my two favorite players on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Chicago White Sox trade Sergio Santos to Toronto Blue Jays for Nestor Molina - ESPN Chicago

Augh, Santos had a ton of upside, this is a surprising move. Maybe filihok or someone can talk me off the ledge but this move screams that the sox dont plan on contending next year. I know the kid they traded for has a stellar k/9 in double A, but this is just a head scratcher to me.

Between hiring Ventura as the manager and now getting rid of arguably our best relief pitcher, as well as shopping Danks for young talent it seems to be the Sox are resigned to being a bad team for the next season or 2.

I welcome long term planning, but some of this crap is just upsetting as a fan of the south siders.
I'm fine with Ventura being the Sox's manager. I like that they are hiring former players.

I, however, am not fine with the Sox trading away Santos.

Fire Williams. He may have brought us some great players and a World Series, but with Rios, Dunn, and a bunch of other people that he has screwed up with, you didn't even need hindsight to know how this would end.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
So I heard Big Papi accepted 1 year $15 million, though he was offered 2 for $18 million

He must be confident he will have another good year. I hope so
He really only has to be confident enough that he won't have a bad enough year to only make $3 million in 2013.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
So I heard Big Papi accepted 1 year $15 million, though he was offered 2 for $18 million

He must be confident he will have another good year. I hope so
He hasn't accepted anything yet, other than arbitration, which means he's coming back for at least one more year. He and the Sox have to come to a deal by Feb., or a mediator will determine his salary.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Case McGeHee traded to the Pirates

Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Case McGeHee traded to the Pirates
because Aramis Ramirez to the Brewers

Agent: Brewers agree to deal with free agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/agent-brewers-agree-to-deal-with-free-agent-third-baseman-aramis-ramirez/2011/12/12/gIQAsP4GqO_story.html - broken link)

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Red Sox doing some things

Traded SS Jed Lowrie and P Kyle Weiland to the Astros for RP Mark Melancon.

I don't like the trade for the Red Sox. They need relievers with Pap in Philly and Bard moving to the rotation, but Melancon looks more ok, than special. Lowrie is still young enough to fulfill some of his expectations and Weiland should be on the right side of 'terrible'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball