Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be the next St. Louis Cardinals manager?
Jose Oquendo (St. Louis Cardinal's 3rd base coach) 1 20.00%
Terry Francona (Former Red Sox manager) 1 20.00%
Ryne Sandberg (Philadelphia Phillies Triple-A affiliate manager and Cubs hall of famer) 0 0%
Terry Pendleton (Atlanta Braves batting coach) 1 20.00%
Mike Matheny (Former MLB catcher) 0 0%
Chris Maloney (St. Louis Cardinals Triple-A affiliate manager) 0 0%
Joe McEwing (Chicago White Sox's 3rd base coach) 0 0%
Other (Please explain) 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

I wonder if Tony will now finally start his law practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:07 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Francona should be following Theo to the Cubs. St. Louis never gets the respect that it deserves and needs some big names besides Pujols. As much as he has never managed, he has been a coach even if it is just for hitting. Make Mark McGwire the next manager!!!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Mark McGwire is not a too terribly bright person. Further, he is terrified of public speaking in anything but the most controlled situations. Further he has never managed anywhere, not even in the minors.

So, he isn't qualified for the job and I'm pretty sure he would not want the job. Going from LaRussa to McGwire would be shaving about 30 IQ points from management.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Mark McGwire is not a too terribly bright person. Further, he is terrified of public speaking in anything but the most controlled situations. Further he has never managed anywhere, not even in the minors.

So, he isn't qualified for the job and I'm pretty sure he would not want the job. Going from LaRussa to McGwire would be shaving about 30 IQ points from management.
Lots of guys don't like the public speaking bit and there have been a bunch of times that guys without experience took over and were fine. The fact that steroids wouldn't be the topic would also make it easier. As long as you have a good pitching coach and a decent bench coach, even an idiot would be fine. Also like most jobs there is alot of on-the-job-training. I think he would thrive, he could also regain the respect of many by doing well.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Lots of guys don't like the public speaking bit and there have been a bunch of times that guys without experience took over and were fine. The fact that steroids wouldn't be the topic would also make it easier. As long as you have a good pitching coach and a decent bench coach, even an idiot would be fine. Also like most jobs there is alot of on-the-job-training. I think he would thrive, he could also regain the respect of many by doing well.
Why would anyone hire someone like that? No experience and inability to deal with the media....yeah, that makes more sense than hiring someone with experience and media smarts.

I would be shocked to learn that McGwire is even interested in managing, he is a private man who grew up in family of jocks and is only really comfortable around jocks. He views the media as an enemy, educated wiseacres who only want to expose him as dull and slow witted, guys who hate him because jocks got all the good looking chicks in high school. As a batting coach he gets to be in the game but be fairly invisible. That suits him fine. As a manager he would be be constantly in the public eye and serially second guessed by the media. That would be a nightmare for Mac.

And contrary to your Pollyanna notion that steroids won't be a topic if McGwire was named manager, of course steroid use would be Topic # 1 from the first day.

Which further begs the question...why would you hire someone who not only is inexperienced, who not only is terrified by the media, but also will cause a huge controversy because of his confessed PED use as a player?

Finally, it is not much of an endorsement of McGwire if the person championing his candidacy describes the job as something where "even an idiot would be fine."

Even if an idiot would be fine, that is not a good reason to hire an idiot.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,116 times
Please, not McGwire. I think he has done a fabulous job as a hitting coach, and I think he is comfortable in that position. But seems to me like the Cardinals are poised to hire someone without managing experience, at least in the majors. They interviewed Mike Matheny last Friday, and seems like he is a fan favorite. Then there is Oquendo, but the reasoning behind hiring him, “to keep Albert” is utterly uninformed. You don’t want your manager to be “buddy buddy” with any of the players, and as much as I like Francona, I think his overfriendly relationship with Pedroia, produced some bad blood in the clubhouse. Now I still think the Cardinals to be manager needs experience in the majors, in a perfect world, it would Joe Maddon, or Mike Scioscia, but none of them seem to be on their list, so I hope they hire Francona.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I just had to delete a post that I rather liked because I think I've figured out what you are trying to say.

I believe that you have concluded that there are two types of managers. One type is perfect and makes the right move, without fail, every time. The other group does not.

This makes no sense except in relation to your own belief that you know everything and have nothing more to learn.
Thanks for the insult, your forte whenever anyone speaks his own mind and it's not parroting yours.

It's easy to figure out what I'm trying to say, unless you're blinded by what you wanted to think I said.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thanks for the insult, your forte whenever anyone speaks his own mind and it's not parroting yours.
I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I don't mind opposing viewpoints. I welcome them-with a caveat-you must be able to back up your assertion with something substantial.

If one were to claim that Ramiro Pena is going to be the next Ozzie Smith, they should be able to back that assertion up when asked why.

Quote:
It's easy to figure out what I'm trying to say, unless you're blinded by what you wanted to think I said.
In the spirit of open mindedness, can you provide any evidence that some managers are acting optimally in all strategic situations?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why would anyone hire someone like that? No experience and inability to deal with the media....yeah, that makes more sense than hiring someone with experience and media smarts.

I would be shocked to learn that McGwire is even interested in managing, he is a private man who grew up in family of jocks and is only really comfortable around jocks. He views the media as an enemy, educated wiseacres who only want to expose him as dull and slow witted, guys who hate him because jocks got all the good looking chicks in high school. As a batting coach he gets to be in the game but be fairly invisible. That suits him fine. As a manager he would be be constantly in the public eye and serially second guessed by the media. That would be a nightmare for Mac.

And contrary to your Pollyanna notion that steroids won't be a topic if McGwire was named manager, of course steroid use would be Topic # 1 from the first day.

Which further begs the question...why would you hire someone who not only is inexperienced, who not only is terrified by the media, but also will cause a huge controversy because of his confessed PED use as a player?

Finally, it is not much of an endorsement of McGwire if the person championing his candidacy describes the job as something where "even an idiot would be fine."

Even if an idiot would be fine, that is not a good reason to hire an idiot.
Everyone regarded Torre as a very good manager but he abused his bullpen during his time with the Yankees (see Scott Proctor). Girardi did the opposite frequently and left starters in way too long. Pollyanna? Everyone knows that the questions about steroids with MM were brought up daily. If for arguments sake he did take over, it would be brought up MAYBE on the first interview but probably never again. That one was so used up. By the way, we also know about Babe Ruth's drinking and Fergie Jenkins coke use but that was brushed aside as well. Personally I don't see him becoming the manager and I don't know if he would want to anyway but I do see him as a guy with potential who loves to rise to the occasion. Maybe they should ask my Yankees about "Tony Pena". The guy was and will eventually be a solid manager once again. I'd take him over Girardi any day. *** Any team though would be lucky to have Francona as well.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm sorry that you feel that way.

I don't mind opposing viewpoints. I welcome them-with a caveat-you must be able to back up your assertion with something substantial.

If one were to claim that Ramiro Pena is going to be the next Ozzie Smith, they should be able to back that assertion up when asked why.

In the spirit of open mindedness, can you provide any evidence that some managers are acting optimally in all strategic situations?
Ramiro Pena is an excellent fielder with very good range and a few years ago he showed sings of being able to hit,but in my opinion his hitting has gotten worse and I eventually see him being traded away or leaving via free agency. He is definitely not a guy who should be mentioned in the same sentence as OS. Unfortunately for him Nunez's bat looks good and they are willing to work with him on his fielding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball