Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This is why MVP's and Cy Young's shouldn't hold much sway in Hall of Fame discussion.
I agree that the MVP/CY voter's reasoning which you provided, appears to be the product of conclusion followed by random rationalization. However, these same people also are the Hall of Fame voters and there is no reason to believe that they will be any more or less random in their reasoning for that honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
NL MVP will be announced in just under 2 hours

Ryan Braun and Matt Kemp would appear to be the front runners

This was my vote: Kemp, Halladay, Braun, Kershaw, Lee, Votto, Tulo, Reyes, Panda, McCutch

EDIT: It'll be interesting to see how Halladay and Kershaw place in the voting. Kershaw beat Halladay for the CY, and was a better hitter, but will Halladay beat Kershaw in the MVP voting?
Ryan Braun wins 2011 NL MVP

Braun - MIL 388
Kemp - LAD 332
Fielder - MIL 229
Upton - AZ 214
Pujols - STL 166
Votto - CIN 135
Berkman - STL 118
Tulo - COL 69
Halladay - PHI 52
Howard - PHI 39
Reyes - NYM 31
Kershaw - LAD 29
Victorino - PHI 18
Kennedy - AZ 16
Lee - PHI 12
Pence - HOU/PHI 10
Pandoval - SF 7
Axford - MIL 7
Morse - WSN 5
Beltran - NYM/SF 3
Montero - AZ 2
Molina - STL 2
Castro - CHI 1
Kimbrel - ATL 1
Ruiz - PHI 1
Stanton - FLA 1

I know I'm just a Dodger homer, but I don't see how one can place Braun above Kemp. The hitting stats were almost identical and Kemp is a below average CFer and Braun is a below average LFer. CFers who can hit like LFers are more valuable than LFers that hit like LFers.

No votes for Andrew McCutchen???

In no world was Howard more valuable than Kershaw

Halladay also beats Kershaw, which makes no sense since Kershaw won the CY.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Ryan Braun wins 2011 NL MVP

Braun - MIL 388
Kemp - LAD 332
Fielder - MIL 229
Upton - AZ 214
Pujols - STL 166
Votto - CIN 135
Berkman - STL 118
Tulo - COL 69
Halladay - PHI 52
Howard - PHI 39
Reyes - NYM 31
Kershaw - LAD 29
Victorino - PHI 18
Kennedy - AZ 16
Lee - PHI 12
Pence - HOU/PHI 10
Pandoval - SF 7
Axford - MIL 7
Morse - WSN 5
Beltran - NYM/SF 3
Montero - AZ 2
Molina - STL 2
Castro - CHI 1
Kimbrel - ATL 1
Ruiz - PHI 1
Stanton - FLA 1

I know I'm just a Dodger homer, but I don't see how one can place Braun above Kemp. The hitting stats were almost identical and Kemp is a below average CFer and Braun is a below average LFer. CFers who can hit like LFers are more valuable than LFers that hit like LFers.

No votes for Andrew McCutchen???

In no world was Howard more valuable than Kershaw

Halladay also beats Kershaw, which makes no sense since Kershaw won the CY.

I know not everybody agrees with hitting protection but I still say if Kemp had a guy like Fielder batting behind him he would have produced a little bit better and probably had less walks. We'll see how Ryan Bruan does next year when Fielder is out of that lineup.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Kemp is a below average CFer
I disagree. Kemp's arm kept a lot of guys from scoring, and he was one of the leaders in assists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball